Nintendo Labo

• Nintendo's reveal video:
    Youtube Video

Short version: a cardboard-based DIY accessorize-r for Nintendo Switch. And by "accessorize", I mean the physical accessory interfaces with the joycons and software designed around it.

Here's an IGN article that has the important press release stuff:
    http://www.ign.com/articles/2018/01/17/nintendo-announces-labo-build-it-yourself-kit-experiences-with-nintendo-switch

I think this line from that article is an important summation:

The reveal follows a tease earlier today that promised an experience "specifically crafted for kids and those who are kids-at-heart."

I know we were all spoiled as kids, but doesn't the pricetag feel a bit high? I guess you have to think of it as a 50/60 dollar game plus a bit more for the physical component.

On the positive side, doesn't some of the video remind you of VR-like stuff? There could be cooler stuff yet to come, and we don't know what the games are like yet. If nothing else, as a spectator it's interesting to pay attention to.

• we were all spoiled kids
    lmao no
    anyways it looks interesting I guess but I wouldn't spend $70 or $90 on it
    it's like 1-2-Switch but with Cardboard now
    and I didn't know the Joycons worked as motion controller like the Wii remote
    I wonder if there would be Wii games if the virtual console comes out

• @siegeh The problem is, although the switch has a lot of the tech the wii has, the form factor is quite different.

the Ir sensor isn't on the end like on the wiimote. its pointing at your chest most of the time when its used as a traditional controller so you can't do any traditional IR pointing. that's why a lot of games use pseudo ir controls which basically is just using the motion controls to estimate where it is in 3d space. but is subject to drifting because its not entirely sure where it is in 3d space. Resident Evil gets around this because you press the aim button it basically sets that origin point, and you aren't gonna be aiming for too long so it won't drift too bad. If it was in the front and had Ir references like the sensor bar it would.waggle games it could work but so many games utilize the pointer that its probably not happening.

• I think it's neat, definitely. But as with most of their gimmicky artistic visions I imagine it'll only be used once and never again. That price tag sure doesn't help.

Like for me if I was a parent, I'd convince my child to play with $100 worth of legos instead. Or at the very least wait for a game like dreams.

And for me as a gamer, not a chance. I mean it's cool, but again for that price I could get something else that'd last longer, I can make papercrafts on my own for free.

If they had shown a whole initiative behind using this idea with future games, maybe it would be better but if this is just a self contained thing then yeah I don't see the value/point, even for a child. Just some of the stuff they showcased looked like it might be too complicated for a child to assemble.

• @ZyloWolfBane I think you don't quite get what the demographic its for. This is for 8+ kids. you know how lego robotic kits are, its kinda like that. these are bigger more advance projects that are probably already making cardboard or lego creations. Not to mention i think you are really underestimating the game element to it. For just 10-20 dollars added for materials i dont think its that unheard of a price.

• @Chocobop said:

doesn't some of the video remind you of VR-like stuff

It reminds me of that VR Backpack at E3 during the PC Gaming Show that I'm still waiting to see commercial release for.

• @Bigdude1 said in Nintendo Labo:

@ZyloWolfBane I think you don't quite get what the demographic its for. This is for 8+ kids. you know how lego robotic kits are, its kinda like that. these are bigger more advance projects that are probably already making cardboard or lego creations. Not to mention i think you are really underestimating the game element to it. For just 10-20 dollars added for materials i dont think its that unheard of a price.

Not really underestimating the "Game" element, I just don't think it's a fair price to ask for more or less the same thing as 1-2 switch with papercrafts, unless they were prepared to somehow slip these things into future titles to make more use of the things you build after you're done with Labo.

I mean consider for a moment that you're at gamestop with your kid(s) and you've given them the choice between 2-3 games or just getting Labo, what do you think they'll pick? Especially if you have more than one kid and one might want it but the other doesn't. Even Skylanders are a safer bet than this for kids.

I'm not seeing this really appealing to children either, when I go through toy stores you don't see legos and crafty type toys flying off shelves anymore, it's rare to see kids walking around without a phone or tablet in their faces, especially if they're 8 or under and still sitting in the shopping cart.

It's just not a very in touch generational decision IMO, the people you'd get the most reaction from are people MY age who DID grow up with toys like that, and it's not really aimed at us.

Again, great idea. Just not really hitting the mark I personally feel it needs to hit. It's cool that it exists, I'd like to see them expand upon it beyond this first "Game". But I don't see it happening.

I've done my tour of duty as a retail manager at gamestop and gamecrazy, these same discussions have played out in front of me more times than I can count, and this was BEFORE the preponderance of Cell phones/tablets. Kids just don't seem to care about these things as much as adults do.

insert #oldmanyellsatclouds here lol. Maybe I'm wrong, we'll see I guess.

• https://mynintendonews.com/2018/01/18/nintendo-will-provide-cardboard-patterns-compatible-with-labo-for-free/

You're basically buying the cartridge for the games. Kits come with material sets for the specific thing you're doing, but Nintendo is going to let you make your own refills essentially.

• This is so out of left field!

I'm not the target audience for this but I really admire the courage and creativity that Nintendo is showing again.

I hope it works out for them, but I have no clue whether this is gonna sell well or completely bomb.

• @Mbun said in Nintendo Labo:

https://mynintendonews.com/2018/01/18/nintendo-will-provide-cardboard-patterns-compatible-with-labo-for-free/

You're basically buying the cartridge for the games. Kits come with material sets for the specific thing you're doing, but Nintendo is going to let you make your own refills essentially.

I guess that's not so bad, if you have the time and materials.

• @ZyloWolfBane Apparently making your own games is an element of this too, so if it's simple enough and the community takes off, this could actually be a pretty big fad for awhile.

• Yeah, but what is it? Is that robot thing VR? Do all of those pulleys and things actually have a function that registers inside the actual game? I dunno, I think cardboard is going to be a hard sell, even if they aren't jealously holding it as branded cardboard. Cardboard makes parents think of America's homelessness issue, not things that their kids want (phones, games, etc).

And like, have they accounted for build difficulty? I'm not sure every kid is going to be able to make whatever that criss-crossing string contraption was...

• Oh wait, was that one game Project Giant Robot?

• @Haru17 said:

I think cardboard is going to be a hard sell

alt text

Good thing we don't pay you to think

...or at all

• I think it's kinda cool, kinda reminds me the little DIY kits I got as a kid, Hell the Piano one has my full attention.

• I don’t know. It’s clearly not for me, but I can see the appeal for kids. If it came out when I was like 9 or 10 I would have been really in to it.

• @ZyloWolfBane said in Nintendo Labo:

I'm not seeing this really appealing to children either, when I go through toy stores you don't see legos and crafty type toys flying off shelves anymore, it's rare to see kids walking around without a phone or tablet in their faces, especially if they're 8 or under and still sitting in the shopping cart.

I will have to disagree with you here. I work at Barnes and Noble, and we sell toys there. A HUGE trend over the last year or two have been the MAKE products. Kids have been getting a lot of craft toys, and building kits, especially ones for robotics and game development. So if this does something similar, with a game that's fun to play as well, then I think it will do well. I don't even think the price tag is too crazy, since some of those robotic sets are super expensive. But of course all of this is dependent on if this works properly.

If nothing else I gotta give Nintendo credit for going in a surprising direction.

• @Inustar said in Nintendo Labo:

@ZyloWolfBane said in Nintendo Labo:

I will have to disagree with you here. I work at Barnes and Noble, and we sell toys there. A HUGE trend over the last year or two have been the MAKE products. Kids have been getting a lot of craft toys, and building kits, especially ones for robotics and game development. So if this does something similar, with a game that's fun to play as well, then I think it will do well. I don't even think the price tag is too crazy, since some of those robotic sets are super expensive. But of course all of this is dependent on if this works properly.

If nothing else I gotta give Nintendo credit for going in a surprising direction.

Barnes and noble caters to a mostly older demographic too though (At least mine does, children's section is a small corner), gives adults a way to buy toys and not look silly ;)

Just sayin.

• @ZyloWolfBane We hold mini maker faires every year that have a lot of kids show up to show off their robotics, and try out science/craft kits. So mileage may vary, but I do think crafts for kids are on the rise, especially when pertaining to robotics and game development.

So if we were betting on this, I would bet on this doing suuuuuuper well. You know as long as this works like how they showed in that trailer.