Multiplayer Shelf Life

• Hello there you beautiful people! As I was finishing a match of Overwatch earlier today, I thought to myself that I've never kept up with any multiplayer game for longer than a few months - until Overwatch dropped and I'll generally play at least a few hours each week and it has been that way since launch.

So that got me thinking - what is it about Overwatch that has me hooked? The ease of use? The fun, colorful characters? The loot boxes? The fact I still have friends that play it? Maybe a strong combination of all of the above or maybe I just finally hit that point in my life where I don't need a strong story to keep me invested in a game.

I've got questions. Feel free to answer any or all!

• How "long" will you generally play a multiplayer game? To be more clear, how many months/years on average do you clock into a multiplayer experience before deciding it's time to move on?
    • Is there a specific genre of multiplayer that hooks you more than others?
    • For a game you really enjoy, do you sometimes play even without friends?
    • Do you generally communicate with your team/the lobby or do you prefer to be a lone wolf?
    • What would you do for a Klondike bar?

• I honestly tend to enjoy loot grinders. I stuck through The Division during it's worst times, and am glad it had turned into a pretty awesome game. Warframe is very much in that same boat, where a sorta awkward space ninja game turned into the shining example of how to make a superb f2p game. Hell, I even put a good chunk of time into the original Destiny. Staying far away from 2 though.

I tend to play these games to completion and then dive into the meta for a while. I really enjoy watching numbers rise marginally and in generally insignificant ways.

• I'm not huge on multiplayer games but a few have stuck with me for a while.

• Team Fortress 2 - I was glued to this game for years even if I never really got any good at it. I think it was just there when I needed it as something to come home to after high school. That said I haven't played it in about four years now so it clearly lost me after a certain point.
    • Left 4 Dead 2 - This one I was sucked into just because I had a steady group of about seven or eight people I'd play with all the time, again back in high school. Once we drifted apart there was no real reason to keep coming back. The few times I tried just playing with random people online never went well.
    • 100% Orange Juice - Hey finally something that I still play, though far more sparingly than I used to. Again having a group to play with is what keeps me attached to it, along with the sheer fun all the RNG brings on board. (no pun intended). The only one I kinda wish I could dedicate more time to despite having like 400 hours on it in Steam.
    • Splatoon - I was all aboard the hype train for this the second it was revealed at E3 in 2014. Between the aesthetics and the unique take on the genre I can't think of anything as fresh (pun definitely inteded) as it. Glad I finally got a pro controller for my Switch so I can get back to it with Splatoon 2.
    • Rocket League - I just think it's perfect to zone out to while catching up on podcasts or something. It, along with Splatoon, definitely benefits from the short match times. I can get in a few while doing other stuff or I can just hunker down for hours and go all in.
    • Overwatch - Honestly I got into this one just because the open beta gave me a lot of the good vibes I used to get from TF2 back in the day. The lootboxes gave me a lot of the bad vibes I also got from TF2 back in the day though and after a certain point I bailed on this one. Still enjoyed my time with it at least.

• To answer the questions in order:

As long as friends who have the game keep playing. It varies on the game.

Less genre and more property (i.e. Star Wars, DOOM, etc.)

Seldomly, but there are times.

Strictly friends, no one else.

Nothing, for that is not the delicacy to bribe me with.

• @DeweyDTruman Yeah, Left 4 Dead 2 I spent a whole summer playing with friends. Split screen co-op in the living room, split screen co-op in my friend's bedroom, we would just yell through the house instead of using mics. I can't help but feel a Left 4 Dead 3 would be such a huge success but it doesn't look like we'll ever see that.

Y'know, I downloaded 100% Orange Juice for real cheap and never even played it. I didn't realize multiplayer was even a thing. I should try it out sometime.

• @SabotageTheTruth Left 4 Dead rules.

• @SabotageTheTruth said in Multiplayer Shelf Life:

Y'know, I downloaded 100% Orange Juice for real cheap and never even played it. I didn't realize multiplayer was even a thing. I should try it out sometime.

I absolutely recommend it. Don't know if I'd be any good at helping you get a handle on how things work but if we ever played a match together I'd be willing to try.

• Probably my most played multiplayer game is CSGO as I have around 1000 hours logged.. I loved the competitive nature of the game, the teamwork, the way the weapons handled and the precision required to climb the ranks. I stopped mostly just because I felt like I was playing too much and honestly it feels good haha

My longest played game would be Call of Duty.. which I played from around release up through college (actually until I started CSGO lol) 2012-2013 ish. There are still servers up with dedicated and fun communities and its still one of my favorite multiplayer games.

Other than that I still play L4D and Total War on occasion.. My recent multiplayer game is Rising Storm 2, which I play pretty regularly still. I guess looking at Red Orchestra, Rising Storm, CSGO.. what really keeps me coming back is the team emphasis. I love working together and communicating to strategize and outplay the other team.. I find it really addicting.

• @Faaip Whew, 1000 hours! And here I was, thinking I had a problem because I'm closing in on 300 hours with Overwatch. I've always heard good things about CSGO though so I can imagine it's pretty easy to get addicted to.

• @SabotageTheTruth I don't know how it happened.. it added up so fast! It is a really fun game though

• I haven't played online multiplayer since The Last of Us, which I thought was pretty solid until ND messed with it too much and it became a shadow of itself.

I play Melee and Third Strike with friends every once in a while. None of us are good enough for competitive play, but it's always fun to get better, and since those games are so fast and have such high skill ceilings nutty stuff is going to happen every once in a while.

• This one is a bit of a stumper for me. Most of the games I play are single player, but I would say that the games I’m best at are multiplayer.

Mario Kart: This Series is the one I think I have the most skill in. There are few games that I play year round, or even more than once per year, but Mario Kart is one of them. I don’t play every day, or even every week, but I Hop in to play online about once a month.

Pokémon: I don’t know if this necessarily counts as multiplayer, but I play against other people so it might. I started playing Pokémon competitively in high school and my life was pretty much consumed with training for a few years. Once I started college I had less time to train, and research so I stopped doing official competitions but still played online. Nowadays I mainly just do research and training, no competitions. But I do still love Pokémon, and I think the reason I’m still playing is because of how much of the meta changes every year.

• Hmm.. I remember playing Battlefield 3 for like 200 hours total, but i didn't invest in multiplayer games again until Destiny. Played that for 6 months, then back on multiplayer hiatus again. Then, i got hooked on Uncharted 4 Multiplayer and Battlefield 1. I still play almost daily U4 to this day. I also played GT Sport, FIFA and Injustice 2 every now and then. I guess it's somewhere between 5-6 months.

Shooters definitely my favorite. I just love shooters, first or third person, doesn't matter. Didn't play Overwatch, but i'm sure i would be hooked as well. Fighting and racing games are great too, Injustice 2 and GT sport fill that spot for me. FIFA is fun too.

I don't have friends that would play with me :(

I'm usually a lone wolf, not because i want to, but because i suck at communicating to strangers. I get very, very nervous when talking online. It doesn't help that i'm not a native English speaker. I did finish the taken king raid on Destiny with strangers, despite that problem of mine. I was lucky to have nice people playing with me, so they were very helpful along the way.

I would give a dollar for it, that's all i have right now :)

• Global Moderator

For me it really depends on the gameplay and if I got friends playing.

A lot of games I end up playing for a couple of weeks with my friends and then leave it for the next experience. However, then we got titles that really grab me, like Titanfall 2. I played this from launch and until a bit over a year after its launch. I really enjoyed this and must say it was one of the most solid shooters in a long long time, just a shame that the amount of people playing have dropped quite a lot.

• Depends. Multiplayer is very low on my priority list when looking for a game but like with any other game, it depends if it gets me hooked and only then if it can maintain it. So the ammount of time I put into it varies a lot. For Overwatch I've put (only) 37 hours as I played for a month or two after it came out. I jumped back in after doomfist was released but I haven't really checked back since. On the other side of the spectre are league of legends and SWTOR. SWTOR I have played pretty regularly from when it went F2P (2012) until the second half of 2017. LoL I've had a lot of breaks in between periods I have played it regularly, sometimes seen as long as a year, but I still jump back in today. World of warships is another game I've been hooked on and I've played it regularly since it came out in 2015. SO I hope that somewhat answers it. Depending on a hook from months or as far as years.

• Not really genre, it's a theme tha gets me hooked more often. Referencing the games above, I like star wars and I like battleships and naval warfare. I don't know exactly what LoL does for me that Overwatch doesn't, I just find it more fun. In short, genre has nothing to do with it.

• I don't have friends :/

• I will react if someone tries to communicate in a not toxic way, but I will never engage the communication.

• I had to google what that is so not much. One cent, I guess.

• The only multiplayer game I've played extensively is Monster Hunter, which is an outlier because it's strictly cooperative with, lets you choose whether to play content in single or multiplayer, and emergent to the point of endless playtimes.

Competitive online multiplayer games (which are 90% shooters, don't let anyone tell you developers are out of ideas) are a waste of time unless you have the reflexes of a genetic aberration. Voice chat with matchmade parties are a high roll to the point where it's not worth even bothering. I only ever played local competitive games like Mario Strikers and Mario Kart, and I haven't had local game playing people to play some of the newer local coop indies like Towerfall, Nidhogg, and Speedrunners.

• Don't like Klondike bars.

Destiny has been the one game to get me consistently playing online multiplayer again for the past few years. I did build a PC in recent weeks (just before the recent GPU price spike). And I have been playing games like Killing Floor 2 with buddies of mine. For KF2, its more of a social experience than anything. For Destiny, I just enjoy getting good loot and making my characters more durable.

• Why is everyone hating on Klondike bars? Why do we hate ice cream so much?

@Haru17 that's a shame on the local front. Nidhogg is such a blast if you can convince someone to play it with you.

• Global Moderator

I generally find that I've got one multiplayer game on the go. Right now that game is Overwatch. I just absolutely adore it.

Now a lot of that is due to playing with friends but even lately, now that I've a proper gaming PC, I've played a lot more by myself and comp as I just want to really improve at it now.

I think the shelf life really comes down to the people you play with. I put in a ridiculous amount of hours into Battlefield 3 with a bunch of friends and as that group got smaller, so did our interest in the following BF games.

Right now I've been debating about getting into another MP game as I do mostly prefer single player games. So I've been tossing it up between Monster Hunter World and Sea of Thieves in terms of which is more likely to appeal. Right now I reckon it'll be the latter as Overwatch already is that more competitive multiplayer game. World looks like something which would require the same attention and seems like a bit of a grind. I'm kinda hoping Sea of Thieves is just a lot of messing around. I've played about 30 minutes of it and loved it, so hopefully that can translate to the full game.

Anyway... what's a Klondike bar?

• @SabotageTheTruth Most of us just never had a taste of them probably.

Looks like your connection to Easy Allies Forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.