Nintendo Financial Results - as of 31 December 2017

• Today, Nintendo reported their results for the latest financial period, ending December 31, 2017.

I love going through the documents they put on their website, stats turn me on because I'm weird like that.

Here's some links:
    Hardware sales
    Software sales
    Nine Months Earnings
    Launch Schedule

And interesting tidbits I gathered:

• The Switch has now sold 14.86 million units, officially beating the Wii U (13.56 million) and closing in on the GameCube (21.74 million).
    • Super Mario Odyssey has sold 9.07 million units. Galaxy on Wii sold 12.76 million, so no doubt Odyssey will crush that number soon.
    • Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is second with 7.33 million (almost as much as on Wii U where it sold 8.4 million).
    • Breath of the Wild is only third with 6.7 million. Crazy that Mario beat it in only 2 months, and a port beat it too.
    • Splatoon 2 has sold 4.91 million, which is exactly as much as Splatoon on Wii U.
    • 1-2-Switch is at 1.88 million. So much for people like me who said it should be bundled with the console...
    • Xenoblade Chronicles 2 has sold 1.06 million, not too bad in less than a month. I didn't find the numbers for the previous Xenoblade titles to compare.
    • Pokémon Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon have sold 7.17 million, which isn't great for a remake/sequel/whatever it is but still very profitable.
    • When talking about the next quarter (January-March 2018), they only mention Bayonetta 2 (February 16th) and Kirby Star Allies (March 16th) as big first-party Switch releases, so it doesn't look like we should expect anything else.
    • Note that Octopath Traveler, Fire Emblem and Yoshi are still slated for 2018 (yay!), whereas Pokémon is "2018 or later".
    • Bayonetta 3 and Metroid Prime 4 are TBA, so most probably not this year.
    • The only big 3DS game announced for this year so far is Detective Pikachu.

They usually also have a pretty Powerpoint presentation to highlight what I just did, I'll post the link to it whenever they release it.

Hope that's informative!

• This post is deleted!

• This post is deleted!

• This post is deleted!

• This post is deleted!

• This post is deleted!

• @Axel said:

Breath of the Wild is only third with 6.7 million. Crazy that Mario beat it in only 2 months, and a port beat it too.

You have to remember a bunch of people bought it on Wii U instead.

• @Mbun Yeah that's true. I should have said it's "telling" rather than "crazy", Mario and Mario Kart have always been bigger sellers than Zelda. What's especially impressive is how fast Mario sold!

• @Axel Well it's Mario, and it released right before holiday shopping began. Makes sense to me.

What disturbs me is 1-2 Switch outselling ARMS, but I'm sure it's that launch game sales bump.

• @Mbun

My parents bought me a Switch as a surprise. They knew I wanted one for Mario and Zelda. They bought me 1-2 Switch simply because they thought it was the Wii Sports of the Switch. I'm willing to bet that a lot of "clueless" purchasers also came to the same conclusion.

• One mil is so good for Xenoblade, I never thought we'd even get a sequel to Xenoblade let alone two, and now the series is starting to pick up steam in the mainstream.

• I'm still surprised how well it's doing. As a big handheld user ever since the Gameboy, I honestly don't find the Switch a suitable substitute, and it still had to contend with this ever growing mobile/tablet presence. The system is far to big for an average pocket and the battery life is understandably low. I also look at its library and upcoming games, and it just doesn't have anything really that would act as a replacement for the amount of suitable games that bombarded the pure handheld systems, Gameboy, GBA, DS and the 3DS.

I have to say, I don't find that the system has any better backing really than the Wii U, or the Gamecube actually, so while the fact that it is exceeding expectations is extremely welcome and pleasing to see, I still struggle to understand why or how, especially as it's still the underpowered system on the market, and therefore locked out of a LOT of multiplatform options.

• Thanks for the info! I was very curious about how sales were going. Nintendo was my first real love in terms of gaming so, even though I play a lot on Playstation now, I'm always rooting for Nintendo to do well. I'm hoping that the Switch will usher in a new golden era for Nintendo and gaming as a whole. Even know I'm sure that BoTW and Odyssey will be regarded as classics 10 or 15 years from now. And I'm hoping that some Wii U titles will be remembered fondly as well because of their Switch re-releases.

• It's crazy that in less than a year it's already sold more than Wii U, haha.

• @Sheria said:

I also look at its library and upcoming games, and it just doesn't have anything really that would act as a replacement for the amount of suitable games that bombarded the pure handheld systems, Gameboy, GBA, DS and the 3DS.
    I have to say, I don't find that the system has any better backing really than the Wii U, or the Gamecube actually, so while the fact that it is exceeding expectations is extremely welcome and pleasing to see, I still struggle to understand why or how, especially as it's still the underpowered system on the market, and therefore locked out of a LOT of multiplatform options.

Literally Nindies. If you think there isn't suitable games, you aren't really looking.

• @Mbun said in Nintendo Financial Results - as of 31 December 2017:

@Sheria said:

I also look at its library and upcoming games, and it just doesn't have anything really that would act as a replacement for the amount of suitable games that bombarded the pure handheld systems, Gameboy, GBA, DS and the 3DS.

Literally Nindies. If you think there isn't suitable games, you aren't really looking.

I didn't say there weren't suitable games, just that the don't match the amount we had back on the dedicated handhelds.

• @Sheria It's not even a year old yet. Give it time.

• @Mbun said in Nintendo Financial Results - as of 31 December 2017:

@Sheria It's not even a year old yet. Give it time.

It appears to be now competing with its own home console and portable history though, and it's just not delivering.

• admin

@Mbun Yeah year one on both DS and 3DS was pretty rough.

• @Sheria

I feel that, but I've come to notice that you can take or leave the first two years of a console's life. Wii U wasn't too shabby in the grand scheme of things. Especially when it got going after 2 years and the PS4 and XBO was scarce.

I expect Switch to be the same way. People at least have 2 certified good-great games. I don't have much frame of reference for their other handhelds though. I was too young to care back in the Color/Advanced days.