Nintendo Financial Results - as of 31 December 2017

• It's crazy that in less than a year it's already sold more than Wii U, haha.

• @Sheria said:

I also look at its library and upcoming games, and it just doesn't have anything really that would act as a replacement for the amount of suitable games that bombarded the pure handheld systems, Gameboy, GBA, DS and the 3DS.
    I have to say, I don't find that the system has any better backing really than the Wii U, or the Gamecube actually, so while the fact that it is exceeding expectations is extremely welcome and pleasing to see, I still struggle to understand why or how, especially as it's still the underpowered system on the market, and therefore locked out of a LOT of multiplatform options.

Literally Nindies. If you think there isn't suitable games, you aren't really looking.

• @Mbun said in Nintendo Financial Results - as of 31 December 2017:

@Sheria said:

I also look at its library and upcoming games, and it just doesn't have anything really that would act as a replacement for the amount of suitable games that bombarded the pure handheld systems, Gameboy, GBA, DS and the 3DS.
    I have to say, I don't find that the system has any better backing really than the Wii U, or the Gamecube actually, so while the fact that it is exceeding expectations is extremely welcome and pleasing to see, I still struggle to understand why or how, especially as it's still the underpowered system on the market, and therefore locked out of a LOT of multiplatform options.

Literally Nindies. If you think there isn't suitable games, you aren't really looking.

I didn't say there weren't suitable games, just that the don't match the amount we had back on the dedicated handhelds.

• @Sheria It's not even a year old yet. Give it time.

• @Mbun said in Nintendo Financial Results - as of 31 December 2017:

@Sheria It's not even a year old yet. Give it time.

It appears to be now competing with its own home console and portable history though, and it's just not delivering.

• admin

@Mbun Yeah year one on both DS and 3DS was pretty rough.

• @Sheria

I feel that, but I've come to notice that you can take or leave the first two years of a console's life. Wii U wasn't too shabby in the grand scheme of things. Especially when it got going after 2 years and the PS4 and XBO was scarce.

I expect Switch to be the same way. People at least have 2 certified good-great games. I don't have much frame of reference for their other handhelds though. I was too young to care back in the Color/Advanced days.

• And this morning we just had the Corporate Management Policy Briefing / Nine Months Financial Results Briefing from Kimishima himself, the nice Powerpoint I mentioned yesterday: https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2018/180201_2e.pdf

Lots of tidbits in there!!

• First, a nice reminder that Nintendo's overall strategy is to "expand the number of people who have access to Nintendo IP". I think it makes a lot of sense and is the primary objective of their mobile games, to go grab potential customers where they live (on their phones), rather than wait for them to come to Nintendo by themselves.
    • They don't say it clearly, but it sounds like the Wii U version of Breath of the Wild sold roughly 1.5 million.
    • The strategy for Switch moving forward is to both satisfy the current owners and expand the userbase by offering different types of games (Nintendo Labo fits in that strategy too).
    • Nintendo Switch Online is set to fully launch in September 2018. More details TBA.
    • They're really hyped about Nintendo Labo and are going all out marketing-wise.
    • They expect their 4 big sellers (Zelda, Mario, Mario Kart and Splatoon) to keep selling for a long time and drive console sales for new adopters. They're also counting on current owners who haven't bought all of those to buy the rest eventually. It makes sense but it also sort of implies they're happy with only these big games for the immediate future, as evidenced by their release schedule for the next couple months. So in terms of blockbusters we could be facing a mini-drought until E3.
    • Their strategy of one title a month sort of continues though, with Bayonetta in February, Kirby in March, Labo in April, DK in May, Mario Tennis in Spring (maybe June then?), and Yoshi in 2018 (summer probably?). For those who never owned a Wii U it's still a pretty good offering!
    • This is of course complemented by third-parties and indies.
    • As for the 3DS, it's not showing any signs of weakness, still selling strong! Their evergreen titles (Animal Crossing, Link Between Worlds, Luigi's Mansion 2, New Super Mario Bros 2, Smash...) kept selling this year. So they intend to keep supporting it.
    • The Super NES Mini sold 4 million units! As announced before, they plan to sell the NES Mini again this year and actually keep producing those 2 for a while to serve as entry-level offers.
    • They reiterated that their mobile business's goal is to both attract new people to their IP and be profitable on its own. Which is why it's not a big deal if their games don't make Clash Royale levels of profit, and also why we can hope they won't make horribly pay2win titles but will keep them relatively generous.
    • They announced Mario Kart Tour for next financial year (so before March 2019).
    • Finally, they announced a Mario movie made by the Despicable Me / Minions studio Illumination.

• @TOPHATANT123 Ageed, especially considering it’s more mild critical reception. I guess the ip as a whole really grew in worth.

• Zelda seeling less than Odyssey is all the catharsis I need but historically Zelda has sold worse so eh. Just give me a proper Zelda game next time.

• @linkenski said in Nintendo Financial Results - as of 31 December 2017:

Zelda seeling less than Odyssey is all the catharsis I need but historically Zelda has sold worse so eh. Just give me a proper Zelda game next time.

They won't go back now. We might get a decent 2D entry though.