Name the books your reading and your #1 recommended book ever all time

• Banned

Re: What are you reading right now?

I'm reading:

• Four Pack Revolution by Chael Sonnen and Ryan Parsons
    • Recovery: Freedom from our Addictions by Russell Brand
    • Tao Te Ching by Lao Tzu

i want Jordan Peterson's new book sooo bad

im Catholic so only if someone has never read it before i would recommend the Gospel of Matthew the ending is powerful

i looove self help books. Think and Grow Rich by Napoleon Hill is great but Jim Rohn says if you read it today you have to sort out the good from the weird

The Science of Getting Rich produces a palpable feeling of motivating energy for like two weeks after reading it

Tools of Titans, How to Turn your Ability into Cash

I'd recommend at least one David Icke book or Bill Cooper's Mystery Babylon transcripts, Dan Marques' 88 Secret Codes of the Power Elite. i looove conspiracies

• I've read the Wheel of Time 5 times, started when I was in 5th grade. I started attending JordanCon last year, and I'm going to attend yearly now.

That extended to reading Brandon Sanderson's entire library of work, I particularly enjoy his magic systems. Some of his writing can leave something to be desired, but overall the concept of a connected universe in fantasy with overlapping magic systems is just too appealing. Ian is a big fan of the stormlight archive as well! - the audiobooks are done by Michael Kramer and Kate Reading, who have a huge variety of voices.

Buuuut, currently I'm on book 3 of the Dresden Files. Coworker highly recommended them, and the audiobooks are all narrated by James Marsters.

• The last book-books I read were The Night Circus and The Extraordinary Education of Nicholas Benedict. I was an avid book reader all through childhood and high school so a lot of my favorite books are young adult novels. I still read about as much as I did back then, but most of my reading is done digitally and usually for reference and research rather than enjoyment. My reading for enjoyment is primarily Manga and light-novels these days. The Night Circus is a re-read, TEEONB is the first time I've read it. I've re-read a lot of my favorite YA novels from back in the day and to be honest I think YA novels get an undeserved bad rap. Some of them are absolute garbage, but there's a ton with really excellent writing and stories.

In terms of my #1 Most Recommended Book of All Time, that depends on who I'm recommending it to.

For people who want a complex, somewhat challenging read with lots of hidden messages and and puzzles to solve I recommend The Mysterious Benedict Society series. It's a bit dry for a YA novel series, to the point that I think it probably shouldn't be considered one. But the characters are fun and unique, and they all have such strange backstories.

For people who want a truly bizarre experience and a bit of a mind f*ck disguised as a book for youths, go with The Secret Series by Psudonymous Bosch. It's very strange and convoluted, and at times its very hard to figure out what's going on, but in a good way. The moment at the end of a book when everything comes together is really cool. You'll learn a boatload of trivia that is interesting but worthless for your everyday life.

For people who want a book series that's story structure is like that of a video game, go for the Percy Jackson series. Please for the love of god, do not watch the movies. They are absolute garbage and a bastardization of the original stories. PJO is actually my favorite book series of all time. A big part of that is probably due that I followed the books as they released and was always the same age as the main characters, but it was also a big part of making me in to the fiction lover that I am today. It's got a lot of good information about Greek Mythology and some fun takes of those Myths and how they would apply today and with various cultures. The stories follow a similar structure to adventure games with the heroes taking on a grand task each book and fighting mini bosses and solving puzzles, before fighting a big final boss. The characters are amazing, literally all of them. Even the most minor side characters leave a big impression. And it tackles some really mature themes, especially in the last 2 books of the first series and all throughout the second series. I've read both the original series (Percy Jackson and the Olympians), and the second series (The Heroes of Olympus), and adore both of them. I got all of the original series, and all of the supplemental books signed, if that tells you how much I loved these books. There is a third series (The Trials of Apollo), and I own the first book but I haven't gotten deep in to it. I thought the first series ended well, if a bit open ended. I was unsure about the second series and the additions it made to the series lore, but by book 3 I was absolutely sold on the new characters and plot elements, and I thought the end of the second series finally gave us a satisfactory conclusion for the the world of PJO, which is why I don't really feel the need to read the third series. Not to mention, the third series is pretty much based around an entirely new cast. Fans of the series have generally had good things to say about the new characters but complain about the writing of older characters and how they've become pretty unlikable. Anyways, I've gotten off track. If you like video game stories or Greek mythology give this series a shot. I'd also recommend it to Harry Potter fans. The two series get compared a lot, and I love them both. They've got a lot of similar themes, but I'd say the PJO is more focused on the individual growth of its characters rather than an overarching narrative message. The books say what they want to say through their characters rather than its main plot. Plus in this series the protagonists are encouraged to take on dangerous missions rather than discouraged.

• Right now I'm reading The Sirens of Titan, which is my first Vonnegut. I see why he has such a devoted following, he has a really spry writing style, and this book is very imaginative and has a good sense of humor. It does feel a bit unfocused at times, especially in regards to its characters, but I appreciate a lot of the asides and stories that seem to emerge at their own whims. I'm definitely going to read more of his stuff sometime down the line.

If there's a novel I might recommend to almost anyone, it's probably Cannery Row. Steinbeck is one of the best writers ever. He's not one of the great dramatists and he's not among the most creative or thought-provoking authors. His work can actually be a bit tiring (another rural miserablist tale where everything goes wrong). But holy smokes is his prose concise and thoughtful. Just excellent at getting across the story in a clear way without overlooking emotional truths, irony, humor, profound beauty. And all in such a simple way; just the Platonic ideal of straightforward novelistic writing in my eyes. Anyways! Cannery Row is probably his most lyrical, laid back work; a funny, melancholic trip through life's disappointments. Short, easy to appreciate, and has a lot of staying power despite not a whole lot happening dramatically.

• I've been struggling to keep up with my reading lately.. Right now I'm reading Now It Can Be Told by Philip Gibbs. Its a chronicle of his experiences as a journalist with the British Army during World War I.. more specifically the experiences he wasn't able to write about at the time due to censorship. Its really fascinating, and pretty depressing.. several anecdotes of him having dinner with a group of men who would all be killed the next day.

One book I would recommend is my favorite of all time, Lord of the Rings :D (seriously.. give it a shot if you haven't read it!)

I'll also recommend another war novel.. With the Old Breed by EB Sledge. Its easily the best book of its type that I've read.. basically just the experiences of Sledge as an enlisted Marine infantryman at the battles of Peleliu and Okinawa during WWII. Its very well written, very descriptive and doesn't really hold back on anything.. I feel like its something a lot of people should read, not necessarily just those who are interested in history/war/military stuff. If you've seen the HBO series The Pacific, this is one of the books it was based on.

I pretty much just read sci-fi and history haha

• Banned

@Faaip Lord of the Rings?

saw the hollywood movie trilogy

wasn't impressed

• @David-Berishaj Its certainly not for everyone. I'd still recommend the books though.. they're pretty different from the movies. I know people who love the books and hate the movies, and vice versa

• Right now I'm reading "Doing Bayesian Data Analysis" by John Kruschke, "Modelling and Quantitative Methods in Fisheries" by Malcolm Haddon, a few books on R, and a crapton of primary literature :-/

In all seriousness, I'm typically an avid reader, and just haven't been recently because I need to learn modelling and stuff. My suggestions always vary from person to person, but to kids/young adults I often suggest the His Dark Materials trilogy by Philip Pullman and The Bartimaeus Trilogy by Jonathan Stroud. I think they're both excellent examples of more modern fantasy, and are good gateway books for that genre.

For the older crowd, I've recently been telling everyone to read Infinite Jest by David Foster Wallace, since I don't think there's ever been a book that's stuck with me more. Seriously, I hated it when it finished (for reasons I won't spoil), but then I kept thinking about it and ultimately started it again from page 1. Now I think it's a masterpiece. Definitely a dense book, though, so not great for people who want a breezier read.

If you want something a bit more readable, The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay by Michael Chabon is a masterpiece. It follows a Jewish immigrant/refugee and his cousin in the years leading up to (and following) World War 2, and their foray into the world of comics/graphic novels. It's fairly epic in scale, but it's so well paced you could probably finish it within a couple weeks (if that).

Finally, I've been screaming my love of Lincoln in the Bardo by George Saunders since it's release last year. It's bar none one of the best books I've ever read, partially because it's so singular. I love when something can only exist in a given medium (e.g. Terrence Malick movies can only be movies, Journey can only be a game), and it's rare to come across a book that so perfectly encapsulates this. Seriously, read it.

• Banned

@naltmank data analysis, modelling, quantative methods? hand me a shotgun please

i heard Infinite Jest is good but dark. i only like books that induce positive emotions.

• I'm currently reading the English Edition of Record of Lodoss War: The Grey Witch on the novel side of things, and on the graphic novel things I'm reading Dark Empire II for my webshow. I'll probably be reading The Crystal Star next.

• Banned

You guys i finished reading the four pack revolution. i'll upload a video review after i get a haircut

• @david-berishaj said in Name the books your reading and your #1 recommended book ever all time:

You guys i finished reading the four pack revolution. i'll upload a video review after i get a haircut

I no idea that Chael had a another book besides his first one. I got the first one as somewhat of a troll gift, (I'm an Anderson Silva fan) but I enjoyed it thoroughly. It's pretty insightful.

Currently I'm reading The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne. I would recommend East of Eden by John Steinbeck to just about anyone. It's a bit long, but I think East of Eden captures the American spirit pretty well.

• Homo Deus: A Brief History of Tomorrow
    by Yuval Noah Harari
    is what I am reading currently. It is almost a collection of essays on human existence, contemporary developments and issues and what our future holds.

All-time? Hard to say: probably somewhere between Tolkien, King's Dark Tower and couple of Haruki Murakami books.

• Just finished the Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest and am going to read Hamlet in book format next.
    All time favourite is The Book Thief for the writing, the story and the secret in the first chapter

• Reading the wheel of time right now

i reccomend harry potter and dark tower

• @ff7cloud would you look at that, I'm reading The Wheel of Time as well, at a fairly slow pace sadly, what book are you on?

• @bard91 still the first im reading it a fairly slow pace too about 200 pages in

• Banned