Your favorite controller

• the Switch Pro Controller.

• its the same shape as an Xbox One Controller and is just as comfy as one too
    • has a rechargeable battery that at full charge can last up to about 40 hours
    • has all the exact same buttons, sticks and triggers that the Xbone controller has
    • as well as having all the same buttons etc, the Switch Pro also has even more tech inside of it, it also has a Gyro Sensor for Motion controlled gaming, HD rumble and an NFC reader as well for all those Amiibos.

• Banned

HERE COMES A NEW CHALLENGER

0_1517698671435_segasaturn3dcontroller.jpg

• @El-Shmiablo that's got nothing on this.

alt text

• @DIPSET said in Your favorite controller:

I mean, can it be anything other than the Dual Shock? It sort of standardized controllers from that point forward.

actually the Dualshock controllers design is actually based on the SNES controller where they simply just improved upon the SNES controllers design by just adding handles for comfort, then after the N64 came out, and they saw how well N64 was doing with its analogue stick on games like Mario 64, Sony then added their own analogue sticks to the DS1 so as to keep up with the times and also have analogue stick controlled games on their own system.

• @Yoshi said in Your favorite controller:

@DIPSET said in Your favorite controller:

I mean, can it be anything other than the Dual Shock? It sort of standardized controllers from that point forward.

actually the Dualshock controllers design is actually based on the SNES controller where they simply just improved upon the SNES controllers design by just adding handles for comfort, then after the N64 came out, and they saw how well N64 was doing with its analogue stick on games like Mario 64, Sony then added their own analogue sticks to the DS1 so as to keep up with the times and also have analogue stick controlled games on their own system.

Yeah everybody knows that the DS improved on the SNES controller but I think the inclusion of the handles as well as 2 analogue sticks was significantly more impactful that anything else afterwards. The right analogue stick changed games forever. That's why I said it standardized controllers. You can also add that it standardized controls itself in some regards.

For whatever reason, they didn't follow their own innovation with the PSP -__-

• The Xbox One Elite Controller is quite nice, but forgoing the coloured buttons was a ridiculous idea. It also feels a bit delicate for something so expensive.

• @DIPSET meh the right analogue stick didn't really do much if anything at all on the PS1.

i don't think it actually even got used at all until the PS2. i certainly can't remember playing any games that used it. the left was used in everything. but i never used the right stick.

• @Yoshi

You aren't wrong, but I'd say that the right analogue stick is why I actually put the Spyro trilogy on PS1 above SM64 or Banjo. Not to say I don't like those games, but the camera controls really infuriated me.

Then other games like Medal of Honor started the process of making shooters viable on consoles. I think in terms of impact, it did a lot back in PS1. You can argue they haven't changed much about it in 20 years, but its a truly long lasting controller.

• @DIPSET oh yeah. i completely forgot about the fact that the Spyro the Dragon games used the right stick. i really should replay those games sometime. loved them as a kid.

the DS1 and DS2 were really good controllers.

i fucking hate the DS3 controller on the PS3 though. the DS3 feels so light and cheap and the L2 and R2 triggers are horribly shaped and make my index fingers feel like they're going to slip off the triggers every single time. so much prefer the Xbox 360 controller.

• Wii U gamepad, I know that’s blasphemy but I’m very near sighted and I prefer to have the screen closer to my face. That’s probably why I’ve always preferred handhelds. The Switch is a close second, I do enjoy the higher resolution of the screen, but the buttons are pretty loud and I always worry that it will break if I drop it, which is something I never worried about with the WiiU.

• @El-Shmiablo
    If they just moved the six face buttons up a bit and threw another analog stick below them I'd probably buy any kind of adapter to keep using this on other systems to this day.

@michemagius
    Love the Wii U gamepad, honestly not that hot on the Switch in handheld mode. I think it just kinda feels like a flimsier Wii U gamepad honestly. That said the Joycons are nice separated depending on the game. For example I just can not play Splatoon 2 with those little things but the Switch has become my go-to when playing Sonic Mania just because I like overlapping my hands with the joycons while playing it more than using a regular controller.

• @Yoshi The HD of HD Rumble, inside the Pro Controller at least, is a meme, but I agree with the rest. Only time it's ever felt good was in Odyssey when I turned it up to high in options, which should've been the default. Even that felt less significant to me than the N64 Rumble Pack back in the day playing Star Fox 64.

The gyro on the other hand feels so good, going from Splatoon 1 where you are turning a huge unwieldy Gamepad to gently shifting something that fits well in your hand. Every console maker needs to add gyro to their next controller design and it needs to be incorporated as an optional means of control into every FPS going forward. Not joking. Yes, it might feel weird to you at first, but stick it out. It might not be mouse and keyboard level precision, but it is easily the next best thing and works perfectly for consoles.

@michemagius said:

I always worry that it will break if I drop it, which is something I never worried about with the WiiU

I do worry about breaking my Switch from a drop, but I'm more worried about the day my Wii U Gamepad's connection to the Wii U console box breaks. I've already seen them getting weaker with other people's consoles, and since new ones are no longer being made and Nintendo can't repair it on top of additional Gamepads not being syncable to your personal Wii U I think we'll too soon reach a day when functional Wii U's just don't exist anymore. It's the main reason I'm glad the best of the library is getting ported to Switch, but there will always be those games like Splatoon 1, Super Mario 3D World, and Super Mario Maker that relied on the Gamepad to enhance the gameplay, so even if they get ported somehow it'll never be the same. If the Wii U had lasted longer, Nintendo could've improved the second screen experience technology to a stable point with iterations, but that's not the timeline we're on.

• The SNES has a great 2d controller, just feels good in your hand, the saturn one feels pretty good too

360 is overall my favorite, but wish it had a dpad like the ps4 controller, which would be runner up

A little love to the original Xbox dukes, loved the size as I have big hands, yeah the black and yellow buttons werent ideal, but luckily they werent that important on the original xbox

• @Oscillator said in Your favorite controller:

Duke

Yeah, I liked them, I have big hands, best way to play Halo 1 imo and yeah the detach thing and how long the cables were, was perfect for couch co-op

Im happy its getting a rerelease, but 70 bucks is too much

• Banned

@Oscillator I've always thought Xbox controllers feel incredibly cheap compared to basically any other controller, which is odd because everybody always says they are the best.

• @El-Shmiablo OG xbox controllers feel cheap. especially the Duke. god that was a shitty controller.
    360 controllers got the shape right
    Xbox One controllers perfected the design and feels comfy AF. only issue with the Xbone controller is that it doesn't come with a rechargeable battery. you have to buy that seperately or use AA batteries.