It was the best of times, and the last Metroid is in captivity.... A thread of the best opening lines in games.

• What are the best/iconic/your most favorite opening lines from video games?

Name 'em!
    Optionally discuss what makes them special, or how they capture what's great about that game!
    This was inspired by the recent game on the EZA podcast.

What counts as an "opening line"? We are going to be very liberal. An "opening line" can be:

• the starting line of a pre-title screen cinematic/attract mode scene
    • the starting line of an intro cinematic or any special "opening scene" after hitting new game
    • the first words spoken after those opening scenes and the regular game begins with your main character

(In the podcast segment, they had strict rules mostly for the purpose making sure each game had an unambiguous "first line". We're doing away with that because this isn't a game, it's just for fun).

"Character introductions" that occur after the game has started are not "opening lines" though. There may very well be iconic lines that are the first lines spoken by that character, but those lines don't start the game. That's the difference. (Perhaps that can be a future thread!)

With that out of the way, I'll start us off.

The last Metroid is in captivity. The galaxy is at peace…

--Super Metroid

Also a tip:

You can use the markup > ##
    at the start of each line to make your quotes stand out

• Deep into that darkness peering,

long I stood there, wondering...

--Eternal Darkness (quoting Edgar Allan Poe)

What a perfect quote to set the mood for the game!

• Long long ago, there was a man who try to make his skill ultimate.

Because of his bloody life, it's no accident that he was involved in the troubles.

--Samurai Shodown II

• Also a tip:

You can use the markup > ##
    at the start of each line to make your quotes stand out

• I've been having these weird thoughts lately.

Like, is any of this for real?

Or not?

- Master Chief during the opening sequence of Metal Gear Solid 4

• "This city was once a happy, peaceful place... until one day, a powerful secret criminal organization took over. This vicious syndicate soon had control of the government and even the police force. The city has become the center of violence and crime where no one is safe.

Amid this turmoil, a group of determined young police officers has sworn to clean up the city. Among them are Adam Hunter, Axel Stone and Blaze Fielding. They are willing to risk anything... even their lives... on the...

Streets of Rage."

Streets of Rage 1

One of the most badass intros ever made. Only on the Sega Genesis. Yuzo koshiro became a composer icon after that and two. The man was set for life.

• "Rend...

Devour your enemies...

there's no other way to survive...

you can not escape your hunger, warriors of purgatory"

-Digital Devil Saga

Hooked from the very first moment

• Kind of cheating:

"You can do this."

I've never formed such a rapid connection to a character as in Celeste.

• Neat idea @Chocobop!

I guess I'll include the lines from my favorite games that stick out to me for one reason or another (listed in no particular order)

Listen to my story. This may be our last chance. - Final Fantasy X
    I like this line because of the preceding context, seeing an eclectic group of characters you have no idea of, if you're playing for the first time. Who are they? Last chance to do what? A great tone setter.

They are rage, brutal, without mercy. But you. You will be worse. Rip and tear, until it's done. - DOOM (2016)
    Many have excellently pointed out how DOOM throws you right into the action (If you haven't seen the NoClip documentary, you're missing out!). But you get this little nugget the first time you load up the campaign and while story is light, the sentiment is true. In all of it's bloody glory.

The Gods of Olympus have abandoned me. - God of War
    Say what you will about Kratos being as likable as a baby's used diaper, before many knew who, or rather what, he was, this is a compelling first line.

Wake up Mr. Wayne. We have much to discuss.
    Strange? You won't get away with this
    - Batman: Arkham City
    A quick bit of backstory: I never have been into superheroes or comics, but the demo for Arkham Asylum got me into the Arkham series and the Nolan trilogy. When I started this game, I was IMMEDIATELY captivated and a great way to kick off ANY game, much less one of the best, if not THE best, superhero game of all time.

This is how it happend. This, is how the Batman died. - Batman: Arkham Knight
    With what I just said about City, applies double for Knight. While not quite as good as City for me, this is the best opening of the trilogy.

That's all I could come up with. But as I tried to think of solid quotes, I realized many of my favorite games, while having solid opening scenes/moments, don't have the instant punch opening lines like the ones I listed here.

• "Welcome to my bedroom. Don't think that me letting you in here is an invitation for any funny stuff. I mean... not that I have a problem with funny stuff. Especially not if you really like the person. But that isn't what I wanted to talk about." – Lolipop Chainsaw

• A hero's journey?

A great quest?

Certainly it shall be these things.

But for you, young Jair Cuthegar,

soldier of Windemere,

could it not be so much more?

--Shadowgate (2014).

I absolutely love the cinematic sequences in Shadowgate 2014: writing, music, art, voice acting - everything. And right from the first line it is fantastic. Check out a video of this opening as well, but just by inflection and writing alone, I think this holds up as a 10/10 opening line.

• Global Moderator

@Brannox said in It was the best of times, and the last Metroid is in captivity.... A thread of the best opening lines in games.:

Listen to my story. This may be our last chance. - Final Fantasy X

That line... Man, that line always gave me goosebumps.

Its hard to find a good opening line somewhere. Most awesome lines are a bit into games or summing up a game greatly.

I mean I really like the line in Zone of the Enders 2, but thats towards the end "Use powers for the right things. At least for the things that you believe in".

• In the Age of Ancients the world was unformed, shrouded by fog.

A land of gray crags, Archtrees and Everlasting Dragons.

--Dark Souls

• There's a lot of good ones but this is the first one that came to mind.

alt text

• 'Oh, yes... Paleblood... Well, you've come to the right place. Yharnam is the home of blood ministration. You need only unravel its mystery. But, where's an outsider like yourself to begin? Easy, with a bit of Yharnam blood of your own... But first, you'll need a contract...'

(From Bloodborne)

I love this opening. Sets the tone immediately, for the entire game.

• Die monster.

You don't belong in this world!

--Castlevania: Symphony of the Night

• Once this city used to pulse with energy. Dirty and Dangerous, but alive and wonderful.

Now it is something else.

--Mirror's Edge

I can't help but love Mirror's Edge. I'm a big fan of the game itself and all these vibes in the setting. This opening line and the continuation of the intro cinema is a nice encapsulation of that feeling.

• The body is but a vessel for the soul.

A puppet which bends to the soul's tyranny.

And lo, the body is not eternal, for it must feed on the flesh of others,lest it return to the dust whence it came.

Therefore must the soul deceive, despise, and murder men.

-- A. J. Durai (Opening Screen from Vagrant Story)

• @crepe Such a great game

Looks like your connection to Easy Allies Forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.