It was the best of times, and the last Metroid is in captivity.... A thread of the best opening lines in games.

• 'Oh, yes... Paleblood... Well, you've come to the right place. Yharnam is the home of blood ministration. You need only unravel its mystery. But, where's an outsider like yourself to begin? Easy, with a bit of Yharnam blood of your own... But first, you'll need a contract...'

(From Bloodborne)

I love this opening. Sets the tone immediately, for the entire game.

• Die monster.

You don't belong in this world!

--Castlevania: Symphony of the Night

• Once this city used to pulse with energy. Dirty and Dangerous, but alive and wonderful.

Now it is something else.

--Mirror's Edge

I can't help but love Mirror's Edge. I'm a big fan of the game itself and all these vibes in the setting. This opening line and the continuation of the intro cinema is a nice encapsulation of that feeling.

• The body is but a vessel for the soul.

A puppet which bends to the soul's tyranny.

And lo, the body is not eternal, for it must feed on the flesh of others,lest it return to the dust whence it came.

Therefore must the soul deceive, despise, and murder men.

-- A. J. Durai (Opening Screen from Vagrant Story)

• @crepe Such a great game

• @ff7cloud Yeah. it's my favorite J-RPG ever. I liked the lines where Ashley says, "I am the reinforcements." but it's barely an opening line.

• Farewell to my life.

Farewell to my home.

This is my last chance for survival...

This is my, last escape...

--Resident Evil 3 (Jill's inner monologue after the introductory cinemas)

Just simple white text on black background, but it works.

• The year is 2050

And the megaplexes are monsters casting long shadows.

When you become a shadowrunner, that's where you live...

--Shadowrun (SNES)

On of my personal favorite SNES games, and it was my introduction to the Shadowrun series. No stumbling out of the gate here, they set the tone perfectly.

• I'm a big fan of the opening monologue in NieR: Automata.

"Everything that lives is designed to end. We are perpetually trapped in a never-ending spiral of life and death. Is this a curse? Or some kind of punishment? I often think about the god who blessed us with this cryptic puzzle...and wonder if we'll ever get the chance to kill him."

It's such a great hook, and it stuck with me throughout the whole game. What ends up making it so good isn't that its well-written or sets the tone or anything like the other examples posted here, but rather how this quote develops over the course of your playthroughs. Several games begin with a quote that gains meaning or clarity later on (starting with "is this a dream???" and later on learning that it is indeed a dream is a common cliche), but none stick out in my mind as going through several meanings and developments, each interpretation just as valid and impactful as the previous.

• @chocobop I totally forgot this one. I love the Shadowrun opener.