It was the best of times, and the last Metroid is in captivity.... A thread of the best opening lines in games.

• @ff7cloud Yeah. it's my favorite J-RPG ever. I liked the lines where Ashley says, "I am the reinforcements." but it's barely an opening line.

• Farewell to my life.

Farewell to my home.

This is my last chance for survival...

This is my, last escape...

--Resident Evil 3 (Jill's inner monologue after the introductory cinemas)

Just simple white text on black background, but it works.

• The year is 2050

And the megaplexes are monsters casting long shadows.

When you become a shadowrunner, that's where you live...

--Shadowrun (SNES)

On of my personal favorite SNES games, and it was my introduction to the Shadowrun series. No stumbling out of the gate here, they set the tone perfectly.

• I'm a big fan of the opening monologue in NieR: Automata.

"Everything that lives is designed to end. We are perpetually trapped in a never-ending spiral of life and death. Is this a curse? Or some kind of punishment? I often think about the god who blessed us with this cryptic puzzle...and wonder if we'll ever get the chance to kill him."

It's such a great hook, and it stuck with me throughout the whole game. What ends up making it so good isn't that its well-written or sets the tone or anything like the other examples posted here, but rather how this quote develops over the course of your playthroughs. Several games begin with a quote that gains meaning or clarity later on (starting with "is this a dream???" and later on learning that it is indeed a dream is a common cliche), but none stick out in my mind as going through several meanings and developments, each interpretation just as valid and impactful as the previous.

• @chocobop I totally forgot this one. I love the Shadowrun opener.