Why is THIS Game so Expensive?

• Feel free to use this thread to generally make cases against games you feel are overpriced, but starting off with the reason for creating it in the first place and that is the upcoming Nintendo Switch game Kirby Star Allies. Been following this game, and of course the visuals got a massive boost from when we saw it earlier, however now that certain outlets have been able to demo this game I'm taking issue with the things they're reporting. Mind you, some of this stuff could be demo only and subject to change for the full game as that's pretty common for Nintendo games, but that's speculation and we're here to discuss what we know NOW.

Let's just start off by stating the obvious. The last couple mainline Kirby games have been for the 3DS system, and as such they were priced at the usual full-price $40 at launch for a handheld game. While the Nintendo Switch can be used as a handheld, it's treated more like a console, so the usual full-price for Switch games is $60. So it makes sense that Kirby coming to the Switch would cost $60 right? I'd agree if what we were seeing from this game appeared to be the usual Nintendo big budget effort, but that's not what seems to be getting reported right now.

So let's just rip right into expectations versus reports. While the last couple mainline Kirby games haven't been able to always maintain a stable 60 FPS due to running on underpowered 3DS hardware, they've been aimed for 60 FPS, but currently Star Allies is being reported as a locked 30 FPS game during any section of controlling the characters while only the menus and title screen run at 60 FPS. That's obviously immediately disappointing for a platformer. Sure, sometimes companies prioritize resolution over framerate for games, however Nintendo usually doesn't do this, and to make matters worse the resolution is being reported around a measly 900p docked, although I'll concede the visuals admittedly look nice despite not hitting that 1080p docked.

Now those two things already bother me from a technical standpoint, but let's examine the gameplay aspect next. This is a game all about allies. That is to say this game will require Kirby to recruit enemies to his side, which can then by controlled by real players locally or some subpar looking AI to combine abilities with Kirby and tackle puzzles and fights together. You'd think a full-price game with such an importance around multiple characters would offer online coop. Sure Nintendo often skimps out on this, but it seems especially important for this particular title and so far it's looking like we're getting local coop only. On top of that disappointment, this game's level design is seeming to suffer from needing the accommodate the four players at once, looking dumbed down significantly from previous titles.

But hey it's all worth it for that sweet Kirby 64 style power combo fun right? This game has so many powers including new ones like Spider and Artist. Just dream of all the combinations! Oh wait, scratch that completely. The people who demo'd the game got to see how the combinations actually work in this game, and well why don't you sit down. Rather than being able to combine any two powers into some actually creative new power that's fun and interesting, this game has a different idea. This game separates most powers into one of two categories, a power that can give and a power that can receive. What does that mean? Basically it means elemental abilities such as Fire, Bubble, or Spark tend to add an effect to physical abilities such as Sword, Cutter, or Yo-yo. There's also the occasional ability that seems to play by it's own rules such as Throw which can instead toss other party members around the room as a combination attack, but these seem to be few and far between.

So to sum it all up, technically this game is doing nothing impressive and mechanically this game is doing nothing impressive. This game is many steps back from it's previous iterations and is yet missing things that would make sense for this particular title such as online co-op. So why is THIS game so expensive? Either some of these gripes are specific to the demo and will be fixed in the full game or there's more about this particular title Nintendo hasn't told us about yet. We still don't know about the possible inclusion of a usual post-game mode that tends to appear in these games yet either, but the release date of March 16th is rapidly approaching so I fear for the worst.

• i love Kirby but the series has never been very impressive graphically or mechanically tbh.

they're probably charging $60 for it because it's a HD Kirby which is more expensive to make than SD Kirby, but also because Nintendo knows people will buy it regardless of the price.

• I nearly did a spit take when I saw how much Sqieenix was charging for Lost Sphear.

• btw, why aren't you price matching OP? (if price matching even exists in America)

i almost never pay full RRP price for my games here in Australia as EB Games sets things at the RRP which is usually about $100AUD here. but i always grab a catalogue from another department store like Target, show it to the EB staff that other place's are selling the game cheaper and they match the price for me and i end up only paying $70 or $80 instead.

• I mean just the hobby of gaming is brutal here in Canada atm. In 2006-2008 we were paying on par with USD, $60 for a full retail release. But now it is $79.99 plus 13% tax so it's basically $90 CAD for one video game and $80 CAD for PS+.

This is why I need to be certain about a game. I'm not in any position to blow money or play something unenjoyable. I know it sounds INSANE but I've never been a big fan of 3D Mario and I'm not a big fan of open world games so I'm waiting for titles other than Mario and Zelda on Switch before I get one simply because EVERYTHING is expensive here in Canada and I want to feel happy about my purchases.

• @Yoshi The point of the topic is about challenging or justifying the suggested retail price of games, not discussing discounts and reward programs that can bring down the base price. There's already other topics for that. If I wanted the game, I could get it for about $48, but that doesn't justify it being $60 in the first place, because if it was $40 in the first place, I'd get it for around $32 with the same discount.

@DIPSET I feel for everyone who lives places games cost ridiculously more for no good reason. That mindset of challenging whether a game is worth the asking price compared to level of enjoyment or value you perceive to get from it is precisely what this topic is about. If there's any game you would be interested in but are frustrated that it simply does not seem worth the asking price, this is where to vent those feelings.

• @Yoshi Not many price match on games in Canada. Costco will regularly sell games here for ten/twenty dollars less than you would find them anywhere else though.
    Hell, saw Star Wars Battlefront 2 for 23 bux there the other day and almost picked it up.

• @DIPSET im in NB its 15% tax here

• @FF7Cloud

Yikes. I live downtown Toronto so basically EVERYTHING is expensive. Not just games. So my food better taste good too or else I'm not buying it either.

• @FF7Cloud American pricing system is stupid imo. $50 price + 15% of $50

why not just include the 15% tax in the price tag in the first bloody place?

• @Yoshi

I think it's because some products aren't taxed. Idk really. Some places write the tax built into their labels but maybe on a website it won't make sense because every province has different taxes. Here in Ontario it's 13%, New Brunswick is 15%, Alberta doesn't even have sales taxes.

• @Yoshi yea our games are 79.99 and with tax their 91.99

• Id say thats a complaint for when it comes out. Return to dreamland was 50 and you can tell a lot more goes into it than a 3ds game

• Even though I enjoy Transformers devastation, the price was a bit too high. Sure, you got five different playable characters, each with their own strengths and weaknesses, and a ton of challenge arenas after you finish the main game, not to mention the two other unlockable difficulties, but the price should have been for 40. Originally Activision was going to charge $30 for it, but they saw how much effort Platinum put into the game so they felt Justified and saying make it 50 instead of 30. I still had no regrets buying the game though.

You want to talk about expensive; how about all the crab Ubisoft, EA, and Activision pull off with these $30-40 or sometimes $50 season passes for games that are already $60. And then you got the DLC and all those stupid loot boxes. This is why I'm strictly buying games from small or mid Japanese developers. I nearly don't see this bullshit from them as much at all. It's why I avoid most AAA (Jim Sterling mocking voice) games. Especially those from the West.

• @DIPSET here in Australia we include goods & services tax in all our prices and if the business isn't registered for GST or if the product doesn't fall under GST, then they just don't include the GST in the price tag.

Looks like your connection to Easy Allies Forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.