Replaying games vs Backlog.

• Hey Allies

I'm currently suffering one of the biggest crisis known to man in the 21st century. I have a stack of backlog games I need to get though but have hankering to replay some old games. Do you just "play what you want to play" or have some guilt for them unplayed games that could be just as beloved as your older games.

• @FutureCorpse I try to just play what I want to play. I own so many games and have a seemingly endless backlog that spans most of the major consoles and PC.

Right now I'm slowly getting through Zelda BOTW for the first time. I don't have much time for games and my go to pick up and play game would be EA skate.

I try to start a new backlog game every so often to mix it up. I guess I approach it like restaurants. there's always favorites that I frequent but its good to get through the list of ones I've been meaning to try. I may not return but sometimes i get sucked in and it becomes a new favorite.

I don't feel guilty anymore when it comes to backlog games. I've forced myself to finish a games I wasn't too into. Why spend time not having fun?

• Gotta go with the heart. I've got a million games I've never played and a million others I haven't finished but if I force myself to play them instead of the old standby I'm more in the mood for at the moment then I'm not gonna have a good time. On the flipside if I stick with an old game I love instead of doing the new thing my heart wants then I know I'm just going through the motions.

• Global Moderator

That is always a big struggle! I've been there so many times before. Ultimately I say play what you want to play! If you force yourself through just to clear it up you will end up not really enjoying yourself.

I dug up my old thread on the subject (kinda) where people posted some really valid points!

check it out! HERE

• I would go for the backlog first

• I kind of battle with it on occasion, but I do certainly do replays when I have a strong passion to. Overall though, I would say 80% of the time I push myself to play something that I haven't beaten before.

• Personally, I try to play something new when I can. I usually get back to older games when nothing coming out interests me. The only exception to this is probably strategy games. Overall, just do what makes you happy, but I think you should at least try something new for a bit before going back to an older title you love.

• I'm on team "play what I want to play", which truthfully for me translates into spending more time replaying games than buying and experiencing new ones. This is an unusual ratio though I admit. I do feel that pressure to play new games like everyone else, but somehow I winnow it down to a much smaller number of new releases that seem resonate with me personally. Like, "if no one else cared about this game, would I still be excited to buy it?". I will push back the rest of the new hotness (even most GOTYs) a couple years before I make time to play them, and so I play a lot of "new games" after they are no longer new.

One thing I've noticed is that when you play old games, there's a great degree of variance in how you can go about it. For instance, it's a lot easier to jump from game to game without intending finish all of them, especially with games you've beaten before. You can also replay a favorite game with a "new goal" to make this playthrough different from the last, or even venture into full blown challenge runs. And for many retro games there are romhacks that offer entirely different experiences. Quite often I sense that people are envious of anyone who stays caught up with new releases --- but really the "old game players" and the "new release players" have plenty of reasons to be envious of each other!

When it comes to emotion of "guilt" specifically, I don't carry much of it myself but I will say that "guilt" can affect everything. People normally associate "guilt" with making sure they play recent releases, but you can also feel guilt to replay old favorites that are "overdue" to revisit, and even feel guilt to explore classic system libraries and "discover for yourself" those old and obscure games that you haven't played (I swear I'm going to play Dragon View one of these days!).

• Play what you wanna play, playa.
    I've beaten Dead Space like 10 times already, but that doesn't mean I'm going to feel bad about playing it again with the cinematic mod installed.

Sure you might not progress as fast as somebody who dedicates themselves to one or two games at a time, but who the fuck are you trying to impress?

• @El-Shmiablo Dead Space happens to be on my list, but Metro Last Light though.

• @FutureCorpse Metro games are great, but Dead Space just holds a special place on my heart as a fan of space horror.

I'd buy a Dead Space trilogy remaster in a split second.

• @El-Shmiablo Okay waiting for the kids to go to bed & me & the Missus are starting Dead Space.

• @El-Shmiablo said in Replaying games vs Backlog.:

Play what you wanna play, playa.
    I've beaten Dead Space like 10 times already, but that doesn't mean I'm going to feel bad about playing it again with the cinematic mod installed.

Sure you might not progress as fast as somebody who dedicates themselves to one or two games at a time, but who the fuck are you trying to impress?

I don't think anyone is out there to impress. I think the only thing that pushes me to perhaps choose something new instead is the passion to explore the media. Not that I disagree with you of course, you should still play what you want to play, and I do my fair share if replays. But with only so much time, and so many great looking games I'm itching to try and discover, I do quite often prioritise the stuff that I've never beaten.

• @Sheria That's basically how I feel.
    Do I have another Mass Effect, Witcher or Dishonored sitting in my collection waiting to be discovered?

• Always play what you want to play. Gaming is supposed to be pastime, not a chore.

I can quit midpoint replaying a game, but I can't stop when I'm tackling the ol' backlog. I also have a hard time starting something new if a have a narrative going. Other than those "rules" (more like OCPDesque-tendencies) I play what I feel like.

• @FutureCorpse Good choice.
    Dead Space is very analogous to the Alien movies. First is superb horror, second is superb action, and they didn't make any more after that.

• I'm on "Play What You Want To Play", but a lot of what I want to play is also on my Backlog, so that clinches a lot of that (though not all of that).

• I don’t really force myself to play games. I find that just leads to me resenting the game and I don’t want that. For that reason I have a lot of games that I’m partway through or almost done with. Those are my “backlog”. I usually look up the ending if I’m invested in the story. A lot of my favorite games took me years to complete. I also don’t play a whole lot of new games. I’m on a tight budget, and I never really feel the pressure to keep up with the zeitgeist. I’ll enjoy a game 2 years after it came out just as much as I would have on the day of release. The only times I play a game at release is if I’m really hyped for it. Which happens about 2-3 times per year.

• I usually prioritize backlogs, but i don't force it, because i don't want another Doom (2016) situation where i just played it with the mindset of just finishing it and i ended up quitting halfway. Replaying games is a way for me to help keep things fresh a bit, and when i'm in the mood, i'm playing games from my backlog again.

• Funny how Dead Space is being mentioned, I’ve been dying to replay it but I’ve got DB Fighterz, RE7 Gold Edition, Friday the 13th and Need for Speed Payback on my backlog