Which RE games are worth playing?

• Since Resident Evil 7 is coming out next year I decided I should try and fill the gaps in my RE play history. So far I've played 2, 4, and 5 and plan on trying to at least play 1, 3, and 6 to finish up the main series.

My question is which of the other games are worth playing? I'm going to try and get through as many as I can, but with the number of new things coming out between now and January, who knows how many I'll make it to

• Revelations, for sure. The first one is super refreshing to play after RE6 since it focuses more on horror again than action, but plays more similarly to RE4. I personally enjoyed it more as a handheld game, but it's still great on the consoles.

Revelations 2 was pretty good as well, but didn't stick out to me as much as the first one. Still worth checking out if you have the time.

• Gotta play waifu Claire Redfield's other game, Code Veronica.

• Revelations is a good choice,not to mention it has the neat raid mode.

• The Chronicle games are fun if you are into on-rail shooter but don't play the PS3 version because those move controllers are not precise enough for some boss battles, Wii all the way. Survivor 1,2 and 4 (Dead Aim) are alright but only really enjoyable with a Lightgun. I did a review of Survivor a little while back (shameless plug) if you don't want to play it but see some of the gameplay.

Youtube Video

I can't say much about Outbreak because just like RE5 and 6 they are best enjoyed online with others, so to play Outbreak with others you'll have to use emulation or get a japanese copy of Outbreak and play on their fan servers.

If you ever feel like playing the Original Resident Evil then I suggest the DS version as it has the 180 turn, skip-able loading screen and extra content.

• Global Moderator

@Faaip said in Which RE games are worth playing?:

Since Resident Evil 7 is coming out next year I decided I should try and fill the gaps in my RE play history. So far I've played 2, 4, and 5 and plan on trying to at least play 1, 3, and 6 to finish up the main series.

My question is which of the other games are worth playing? I'm going to try and get through as many as I can, but with the number of new things coming out between now and January, who knows how many I'll make it to

Currently? I'd say for sure play RE: Remake and Resident evil revelations 1,

If you have a friend for co-op definitely play RE: Revelations 2

...and 6 I guess if you just want shit to go crazy action wise. RE6 has mechanical depth in terms of your character maneuverability and other crazy shenanigans, but the plot and level design are pretty weak

If you love the classic style after playing the remake, definitely play RE:3, code veronica, zero etc.

I'm curious to see if @Huber has any additional recommendations

• Thanks for the feedback guys! I'll definitely try to grab Code Veronica, Revelations and the RE:Remake to start. My PS2 is still at my parents house so I'll have to put off the PS1 games for now.

I keep hearing rumors that 6 will be free for PS Plus so I think I'll hold off on that one for now

• They are all worth playing, just not for the same reasons.
    RE1 is worth playing to brush up on the history of the survival horror genre and it's renaissance that some coukd consider RE bringing about.
    RE4 should be played for similar reasons. Revolutionized the third person action game.
    Even 6 is good if you think of it as a pure action game. The movement mechanics are great and really overlooked.

• Code Veronica is good to play through for the story. As the Veronica events are referenced in later games. Although be warned the Veronica HD version is still pretty dated. Shooting mechanics are garbage, and the worst of the series I played. Many areas also have pretty bad lighting. And you best look at a walkthrough. Because there's no difficulty selection and its one of the harder and more frustrating games of the series. And people have been forced to start all over with a new game, because they wasted too many items and ammo.

But yes, play all the number series. Can't really comment on Revelations, but I've heard good things.

• Idk where to even begin with RE. I played some of the original PS1 RE waaay back when I was a kid but my dad house got robbed and I never got a lot of those games back. TBH, I'm not excited about playing a tank control game with allegedly unbearable voice acting.

I'm still interested on playing all the mainline games. I just don't even know where to begin since they have remakes, and so many games on so many consoles. I have the PS2, PS3, and PS4. I hear a few games are showing up on PS4.

• Remake, 2, 3, CV, Revelations 1 & 2

• @Sieghardt said in Which RE games are worth playing?:

Remake, 2, 3, CV, Revelations 1 & 2

I just noticed there is a Resident Evil HD Remaster for PS4 which is great news. Is RE2 and RE3 available for PS3 or PS4 as well or am I playing the PS1 version? I'm looking through Wiki trying to find it but to no prevail.

• Global Moderator

Try and play Revelations 2 co op. Like yourself I went back and played through a bunch of the series recently and finished off with Revelations 2.

Overall I really liked it however it has these difficulty spikes and there are certain one hit enemies that I imagine are a pain in co op but by yourself, they are downright frustrating!

• @GoTaco Yeah I found a collection that includes the Remake and 0 for PS4.. might pick that up. They announced a remaster of 2 but there's no release date yet

• @Faaip I just went to the game store and saw it used for $50CAD which I found quite expensive for old games let alone used and the clerk told me that RE HD Remaster is available on the PS Store for $20 without RE:0 so I opted for that instead. I don't really wanna start on the prologue tbh.

I got Valkyria Chronicles Remaster for PS4 for $30 instead and I'm gonna look into RE on the store now.

Thanks for the tips fellas.

• @GoTaco said in Which RE games are worth playing?:

@Sieghardt said in Which RE games are worth playing?:

Remake, 2, 3, CV, Revelations 1 & 2

I just noticed there is a Resident Evil HD Remaster for PS4 which is great news. Is RE2 and RE3 available for PS3 or PS4 as well or am I playing the PS1 version? I'm looking through Wiki trying to find it but to no prevail.

RE2 & RE3 are currently only available on PS3 as PS1 classics. RE2 is getting a remake within the next year or so though. Code Veronica has a HD version on PS3, I imagine it'll come to PS4 too eventually

• Global Moderator

@Sieghardt said in Which RE games are worth playing?:

RE2 & RE3 are currently only available on PS3 as PS1 classics. RE2 is getting a remake within the next year or so though. Code Veronica has a HD version on PS3, I imagine it'll come to PS4 too eventually

I wouldn't really expect REmake 2 until 2018 at the earliest. They only got it approved late last year.

• If you can get your hands on a Gamecube version of REmake, then I'd say it's pretty much the one game absolutely worth playing.

• I think I'm gonna hold off on REVII until I can beat 1-4 first. I've half played 5 and I got tired of it and 6 looks atrocious. 7 has promise imo.

I guess I'll wait until the RE2 remake is out but I'm not against playing the PS1 version. I've just heard in comparions to say MgS, the RE ps1 games have aged like ass.

• REmake is the pinnacle of the series, imho. Definitely the one to play out of the games you listed - but I really like 3 as well. Nemesis is pretty freaky