Soul Calibur VI (PS4/PC/XBO)

• I did a search but couldn't find a thread about SC6 here.

For me this is the most promising fighting game I've seen in years! I don't think I've been this hyped about a fighting game since when I first saw Soul Calibur shown on the Dreamcast. And they've added some extra features as well. Not 100% sure about the new resersal edge but it looks phenomenal!

Going by past games in the serie it'll have a gigantic single player mode as well. And from the look of it they're pulling all the original cast back into the mix as well, SC5 was not a bad game but swapping out almost all original characters was a bad move in my opinion, there is no Soul Calibur without Kilik, Taki, Astaroth, etc in my opinion! Hopefully they'll revisit the Exhibition mode too where they do their solo katas, even today it's impressive to look at the katas in Soul Calibur 1.

Kilik's kata in SC1

Anyhow, here's a 20 minute gameplay Soul Calibur VI video, with lots of different characters shown

Reversal Edge detailed

Looks great! Seems so play great! But besides the costume discussions why is there so little talk and hype?

• Just wait till all the Guest Fighters are announced, the hype will light up faster then a hot tin roof once Yuri, BloodBorne Hunter, Jago, Zoro and April O'Niel are announced

• @dmcmaster Nah the Taki vs Astaroth character reveal is where it's at! ;D
    Seriously though, I hope they don't go with platform exclusive guest characters, The Hunter (Bloodborne) would probably only appear on PS4 and I'd be pissed that I'd have to get the PS4 version when I'd rather play it on PC or Xbox One X since I don't have a Pro yet.

It's surprisngly quiet on most boards besides the Ivy costume controversy, yet there are quite a few gameplay videos out and previews. Maybe they should release a demo? Just to get people to talk gameplay instead.

• Not much to say on the matter at the moment. Hopefully the devs are allowed to finish the game this time, unlike with SC5.
    Some decent SP offering would be nice too. In this day and age you can't really release a 60$ fighting game that's basically MP online only.

• @suplextrain Totally agree on that, I still haven't bought Street Fighter V because of the lacking single player modes. But I have no worries regarding Soul Calibur 6, they've always been great in that department.
    I read somewhere that it would have character creation as well. Yet another thing to be hyped about! And something worthy of a reveal video perhaps?

• @jaggafredde SFV hasn't been lacking in SP modes for quite some time my dude. General story, character stories, arcade mode spanning every SF since SF1, challenges, trials, etc etc etc.

• I'm looking forward to it, but I haven't had much interest in hyper competitive online games in recent years. Injustice 2 allowed me to chill and have fun with the game and never needing to see one human player.

But SC6 might change that, I used to attend events for SC2 in arcades back in the day....I kinda miss that.

• @jaggafredde
    What Ivy controversy? Is Reset Era going ape shit over her pretty traditional at this point costume?

• @dmcmaster The usual irrelevant whiners who never intended to buy this game regardless.

• I'm excited for this! Always played them. Seems like they are giving it time, unlike 5. I hope they have single player modes like 3, I loved that one.

Awaiting for the Astaroth reveal.

• @musou-tensei
    So Kotaku, polygon, Gaf/Era?

• I very rarely play fighters, but for some reason I'm pretty interest on this one, idk if that will actually translate to me playing the game in the end, but something about it has me intrigued at the very least, I'm thinking that no release date may be having an effect on the hype levels in general.

• Well I am pretty excited for this since Soul Calibur is pretty special to me since it's one of the games my fiancee and I played when we first started dating, and one I actually beat him at. Normally he always wins fighting games (except for Guilty Gear)
    I am though disappointed in Ivy's costume. Not to the extent others are, but I wanted something more like her costume in SC5 which was my fave. She is still easily my fave character, always my first pick.

• @dmcmaster In short, yes.

The longer version, people simply can’t discuss the objectification and it’s many perspectives depending on where you live and your life experiences etc without people getting banned left and right.
    Those who hoped that Ivy would be fully clothed with smaller breasts probably weren’t all that interested in the game anyway, nobody who has been following this serie should’ve expected that to happen and it was never that big of an issue anyway, the fans has already got used to her look 2 decades ago and are mostly fine with her extremeness I think, but the discussions roaming through the net right now suddenly makes her problematic.

But more importantly I think it’s cool that she’s still a cool character to play (and annoying if you face her).

I’m not super excited about the reversal edge to be honest, seems like it’ll break the flow of the fights when it slows down, but I hope it’s just what it looks like through video and that it serves a purpose when actually playing. I guess it’s an evolution of DOA’s counter mechanic. The slowdown might make it feel less random.

• @jaggafredde said in Soul Calibur VI - where's the hype?:

Those who hoped that Ivy would be fully clothed with smaller breasts

If that's what the talk is about they're both petty and ignorant, honestly. She has had big breasts in 5 games and yes there ARE women with naturally big or even huge breasts. Soul Calibur ALSO has women with small breasts and more clothes. In addition Ivy has an alternate costume in all SC games, which gives her more clothes. Heck I'd even go so far as to call the people that complain excessively about Ivy pretty stupid, especially since characters like Voldo are apparantely forgotten every time this is brought up. In other words, what they're saying is "sexualization" of men is fine then?
    No, these people are not even worth hearing out because it's always the same with them.

• It's cool that Soul Calibur returns. 2 and 3 were my favourites in the series, not least because of the single-player modes they had. That kind of a gameboard system with some story elements, I hope something like that is in SC6 now. Kilik has been my favourite character throughout the series because of his staff. Seeing Ivy's reveal for this just made me smile and shake my head at the same time, like "yep, Soul Calibur's back". :) I'm in.

• @suplextrain Fully clothes might be an exaggeration... but the skin she shows and the size of the breasts is always brought up as a big problem. The rest I’ll take through pm.

• @el-shmiablo Cool I need to check it out then! I just ignored SFV all together when hearing about the missing SP features.

• @jaggafredde Which is totally understandable. SFV was mess at launch. Now its my favourite fighter by far.

• @sentinel-beach Yeah Kilik is awesome! He’s my favorite too combined with Taki, range and speed, Astaroth is cool too for the power and awesome design. I’m in too! Or rather I was in the second the first reveal trailer started! :D

Looks like your connection to Easy Allies Forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.