Public Service Announcement: If you downloaded Yakuza 6 demo off PSN before it went down, you likely got the full game

• Christmas came early this year.

https://kotaku.com/sega-accidentally-released-yakuza-6-for-free-1823374555

I can attest that this is true. Been playing the "demo" for hours now, unlocking trophies, and continuing past the point the demo is supposed to end. I guess they recognized their mistake a few hours in and the demo has since been taken down, but if you snagged it while it was up, you may be in for a treat.

I will go on record saying that I will purchase the retail release when it comes out as this is one of the all-time great series of games and I want to support it. But I'm just excited to have the game two months early, assuming sega/sony don't somehow find away to cancel the license or delete the download.

Anyone else playing?

• @ozymandsss Was this the reason why the file was like 30+ gb?
    Didn’t download it though.

• I downloaded it yesterday and also thought it was a huge file for a demo! I'll give it a shot soon, hopefully got the full game too. But I'll definitely buy it no matter what.

• I just checked and couldn’t even find a regular demo. Did they just pull the wrong file from the store with no replacement??

• From what I can tell, if you downloaded a 30 GB demo last night, its the full game. They took it down this morning when they realized their mistake and have not yet reposted a proper demo while they "investigate the issue".
    I don't know how long this full release will remain playable or if they will do a day 1 patch when the game releases properly that makes this file obsolete, but in the meantime, it sure seems like a complete package.

• Interesting. When I've checked Store this morning, it wasn't available. Couple of hours later it had appeared and I've added it to my account (36 GB). Just checked the store again and it's gone, but it's in my download queue. I wander if download starts when I'll return home and turn on my PS4. Anyway, I'm sure they'll release a patch for downloaded copies soon.

• Not sure when the demo was supposed to end, but I've been running around Kamurocho collecting cats, working out, and answering TROUBLR requests for like 6 hours already. I assumed the demo ended at like the end of Chapter 2 or whatever, so I didn't finish it.

(Have the art-book special edition pre-ordered)

• @ozymandsss
    The Japanese demo was 36gb also, as the plan was you played the demo till the tail end of chapter 1, and would get the option to purchase it digitally, that way you can continue on with downloading or installing anything extra

• Lol, there wasn't even a gate or a button press or anything. It's literally just the full game.

• I'm assuming the demo was a huge file because lots of games just require an unlock key to get the full game after the demo. I remember playing a few games on PS3 that did that.

I wonder who is liable here, Sony or SEGA? I didn't read the article but maybe SEGA approved the wrong file to go out and Sony didn't check??

• @tokyoslim said in Public Service Announcement: If you downloaded Yakuza 6 demo off PSN before it went down, you likely got the full game:

Not sure when the demo was supposed to end, but I've been running around Kamurocho collecting cats, working out, and answering TROUBLR requests for like 6 hours already. I assumed the demo ended at like the end of Chapter 2 or whatever, so I didn't finish it.

(Have the art-book special edition pre-ordered)

End of chapter one is where it should end.

Despite its size, I did actually end up downloading it in the end. Seems the EU version is the correct demo though.

• I wonder if they're gonna patch it or cancel the license? I'm obviously having fun playing it, but I get it.

• Update: my download has started without any problems. No special tricks needed like with P.T.

• Update: well, they locked the file for those of us who downloaded the complete game and they have no reposted a replacement demo. X-mas is over.

• Someone better feed my cats for the next 2 months!

• I didn't download it, but this is a huge bummer. I kind of feel like they just killed a lot of the momentum Yakuza has been building up for the past year or so. Maybe I'm just being pessimistic, but I think this might cause enough of a backlash to turn some newcomers off to the series...

• @naltmank I don't get that at all... Why would a couple of days of free play on a highly anticipated game be a bad thing? If anything, it's got people talking about the game, and like 99% of all the comments I've seen (as well as my own personal opinion) is that the game is good and from what I've seen - worth buying.

I'm not mad that they turned off the license. They aren't punishing anyone who played it. It was just like a beta weekend.

• @tokyoslim Because people will be frustrated that they had to pay for something that they could got for free. I remember how many people were angry they pre-ordered Bloodborne because it was 30% cheaper in PSN for the first half of release date.

• @ffff0 But nobody got it for free in the end. Unless you played for 50 hours straight and managed to finish it before they blocked the demo...

Why would anyone get bitter about something like this?

• @axel Did they blocked it for those who downloaded it and went offline? Probably not. And my guess is that if you redownload it now and cancel patch download, you'll still get a full game.