My year of greats

• G'day Allies

Realising that i have not played a single game in the "hall of greats" (bits
    of mario 64 at a friends place) and also having skipped many classics for one reason or another (money,knowledge).
    I have decided to play more games and especially play classic's/ "greats".

Been good so far have beaten Nier: Automata and dragon ball fighterZ and am currently 15 hours into the witcher 3 and pokemon red also at 15 hours.

Now aside from that i have a shortlist of already owned games
    -Metal gear ps3 collection
    -persona 5

Now i want some suggestions for more (pc, ps3/4 and switch) and especially which versions eg Chrono trigger steam -_- (hoping the Nintendo online will fill out a couple eg any mario 2D game)

and lastly some quick questions.
    Steam Final Fantasy sale?
    i'm thinking either FFVI or X/X-2 remake for my intro having only played and completed FFXIII or is there better versions elsewhere

is the best why to play Chrono trigger just to emulate it?

PS. witcher 3 is really good after bailing on both wither 1 and 2 before.

PPS. seriously just assume i played nothing before 2004 i had 3 n64 games the most well know being star wars pod racing(gex and rocket: robot on wheels(10/10 btw))

TL;DR which should be my first final fantasy and what other PS2 and before classics should i play and where

• planned plays
    -shadow of the colossus ps4
    -Chrono trigger (EMU)
    -Basically as many oldschool mario/metriod/castlevania games as possible on the switch hopefully

• If you're seriously just trying to stick to what are considered some of the all time greats, I think that the PS4 version of FFVII is the obvious choice for that series.

• @Sheria misspelled FFIX
    And welcome to the backlog club! It's a lovely place to be. I was dragged here by force, but my vita and 3DS have been keeping me warm. I'm playing through FFX right now and am really digging it so far, despite my misgivings. However, I think FF4 would probably be the best entry to the series, if that's an option. If not, FF6,7, or 9 would all probably do great. And the DS Chrono Trigger is super good, if you have access!

• @sheria said in My year of greats:

If you're seriously just trying to stick to what are considered some of the all time greats, I think that the PS4 version of FFVII is the obvious choice for that series.

that one is hard since i kinda just want to wait for the FF7 remake. i'm specifically looking at FF currently cause they are all* 50% of on steam.

they don't have to be the best games ever, I'm just trying to play some games that i missed throughout the years and making it kind of an resolution/challenge gives it a little bit more fun

@naltmank said in My year of greats:

And welcome to the backlog club! It's a lovely place to be. I was dragged here by force, FF4 would probably be the best entry to the series, if that's an option. If not, FF6,7, or 9 would all probably do great. And the DS Chrono Trigger is super good, if you have access!

my friend i have been here for years i have simply accepted that i will most likely never play the more recent decent games that i already own(humble bundles mostly) and will instead go oldschool like a movie buff who has never seen star wars or godfather.

also sadly no DS i'm very hopeful the switch online service gets a good range.

• i have now realised that all of the pre FF12 pc versions are all more or less shit but am planing to play FF4 on steam then FF6 onwards if possible/i enjoy them

• Global Moderator

I just have to input, if you plan on playing the FF games you GOT to play FF 9! if you got the PS4, just buy the remaster and give it a go.

With other games it also really depends on what type of games you like. I would also tell you to wait for Zone of the Enders 2: MARS to come out (only says spring so far) but its a short (6-8 hours) game that I love a lot. You already got the HD remaster on PS3 though if you cant wait, but on PS4 it will look even better!

• I'm about to fuck your shit up with JRPGs.
    Final Fantasy VI-IX (X is shit don't bother)
    Suikoden 1-3
    Breath of Fire 3-4
    Legend of Dragoon
    Super Mario RPG Legend of the Seven Stars
    Lunar Silver Star Saga

• Well it all depends on what you're looking for. I'll repost what I said late last year when someone else inquired about getting into Final Fantasy:

1.) If you are interested in getting into the series, only consider mainline entries, as sequels, side games, and a whole host of other games will confuse you without some base knowledge.

2.) Typically (But not always), the first Final Fantasy tried is the favorite to a given player. This might not happen for you, but it may be something to help your decision.

3.) Every battle system, customization system, world, story, and characters (except the many incarnations of Cid) are different. The way to gain money and experience, as well as air travel, becomes different by Final Fantasy X. Things such as Moogles, Chocobos, Airships, crystals (for the most part), saving the world, gil (money), summons, random encounters (Until post Final Fantasy X) all are a part of the series

4.) Be wary of what kind of game you are looking for. PLEASE keep in mind I HAVE NOT played 3, 5, 11, or 14:

• If you are looking for simplicity in every sense of the word EXCEPT in difficulty, play FF I
    • If you are looking for turn based mechanics with a confusing leveling system, but easier and more linear experience, play FF II
    • If you are looking for a malleable job system with a somewhat slight generic story, play FF III
    • If you are looking for a story about personal redemption, a timer system to battles, and want to go to the moon, play FF IV
    • If you are looking for another malleable job experience with a more personal story, play FF V
    • If you are looking for having a LOT of characters, with deep customization options and fighting a psychopathic clown, play FF VI
    • If you are looking for a story of rebellion becoming a personal journey with a simpler but just as deep customization system, play FF VII
    • If you are looking for a story about "love" and time travel with a complicated magic system and a puzzling economy (in terms of accruing gil, the series' form of currency, and weapon customization), in addition to poor balancing, play FF VIII
    • If you are looking for a story about friendship and personal discovery with not as much grinding, play FF IX
    • If you are looking for a more awkward love story that is a corridor experience for most of the narrative, yet has the truest sense of turn based combat, play FF X
    • If you are looking for an MMO experience, play FF XIV (I don't think FF XI's servers are still up, but I'm likely wrong. If they are, consider that as well.).
    • If you are looking for a more political story without random encounters, MMO style combat, and a system you can customize to where the game can play itself, play FF XII
    • If you are looking for a constantly pushed forward corridor experience (Until DEEEEP into the game) with a confusing story playing tutorials 75 percent of the way through, play FF XIII
    • If you are looking for a road-trip with friends experience with really simple combat and questionable storytelling, play FF XV.

If you any other questions, concerns or need some clarification, please let me know! Regardless of which entry you play, I hope you enjoy it!

• @nimbat1003 said in My year of greats:

@sheria said in My year of greats:

If you're seriously just trying to stick to what are considered some of the all time greats, I think that the PS4 version of FFVII is the obvious choice for that series.

that one is hard since i kinda just want to wait for the FF7 remake. i'm specifically looking at FF currently cause they are all* 50% of on steam.

they don't have to be the best games ever, I'm just trying to play some games that i missed throughout the years and making it kind of an resolution/challenge gives it a little bit more fun

@naltmank said in My year of greats:

And welcome to the backlog club! It's a lovely place to be. I was dragged here by force, FF4 would probably be the best entry to the series, if that's an option. If not, FF6,7, or 9 would all probably do great. And the DS Chrono Trigger is super good, if you have access!

my friend i have been here for years i have simply accepted that i will most likely never play the more recent decent games that i already own(humble bundles mostly) and will instead go oldschool like a movie buff who has never seen star wars or godfather.

also sadly no DS i'm very hopeful the switch online service gets a good range.

Due to you're comment about going into this like a movie buff, I still say FFVII is the game to look at considering the name its made for itself. Movies are also a good example of why I'd personally be very weary of remakes. If you're truly looking to experience the greats you missed as your thread suggests, you'd be better off looking at the originals, there's a reason they made a mark.

• Ill add to @Brannox 's post

If your looking to play a turn based strategy game with the best story ever in a video game play FFT

• @ff7cloud I'll finish that game eventually... I'm just so bad at strategy games that I hit a major wall and I couldn't push through it.