Hall of Greats Teaser: Beginning Year (UE4)

• Youtube Video

For the past couple months I've been working on a side project for fun that I'm finally at a point with where I'm comfortable sharing it. And that project is the "Hall of Greats Teaser: Beginning Year", a virtual Hall of Greats museum made in Unreal Engine 4.

I guess technically it's a walking simulator where you can look at some box art, listen to music, and watch nominations/trailers/commercials for the eight games inducted into the Hall of Greats during the year of 2017. Here's another quick video, this time just a pretty straightforward look at what it actually is.

Youtube Video

Making stuff in UE4 is a hobby of mine and once I get an idea of something it's hard for me to stop sometimes. I was also just really looking for a way to say thank you to all the Allies, and this is what came out. It's pretty amateur and bare-bones (also, just using YouTube/Wikipedia is way faster and more convenient), but if anyone wants to try it out, you can download it here:

[Win 64-bit version / 1.44 GBs] - https://drive.google.com/open?id=1etO_VvLzmixanZPJvxrGijWkdFt9gE1v
    [Win 32-bit version / 1.42 GBs] - https://drive.google.com/open?id=1a38MmNV_h6AiPIR3iSd4voseRi5VvIEb

Unfortunately I only have a Windows version. I can't make a Mac version, and to be honest I just didn't do one for Linux (I can try if anyone really wants one).

If you do happen to try it, let me know if you run into any bugs or if you think there's any features you think would be cool to add. I don't know if I'll every update it (maybe for Year 2), but if I do I'd definitely like to address anything that comes up.

As far as hardware requirements, the PC I built/run it on is as follows:
    -GTX 750 Ti
    -Intel i5-4590
    -8GBs of RAM
    -Windows 10

I feel like by today's standards that's pretty modest so it's not super demanding, and on Medium/default graphics settings I'm getting around 35-38 fps. Note that there is a 60 fps cap, and two lower graphics settings that should make it pretty easy to hit that if you want/need them.

**If you try running the exe and it says there are missing dll files, go into Engine\Extras\Redist and run "UE4PrereqSetup", that will install any necessary prerequisite UE4 files.

**Has controller support for everything except changing any settings in the options menu, that currently needs to be done with a mouse.

**Designed for 16:9 screens. There may be some irregularities with screens/resolutions of other ratios.

**Possible bugs:
    -Something might cause the Y-axis of the mouse/right stick to stop working. The issue appears to be something setting the sensitivity scale to zero (effectively disabling input). A known work around is to go into the options menu and change the Y-Sensitivity slider any amount. That should re-apply the correct value. I haven't had this come up in a while, and it never happened often, but it's possible it could come up.

**Also just as a general warning, I can't guarantee this will run on your system, or that you won't encounter major or minor bugs. Like I said this is just a hobby of mine. It's a very flexible engine and the game logic isn't that complicated but since I've only been able to test it on my PC, I figured it was worth reiterating.

Thanks everyone, hope you enjoy it!

• Woah, you really put a lot of work into this, I love it! That second video seems to end with the possibility of a backdoor shady deal, so I need to try it out for myself sometime. How long did this take you to make?

• Please tell me you submitted this to community showcase

• @sabotagethetruth said in Hall of Greats Teaser: Beginning Year (UE4):

Woah, you really put a lot of work into this, I love it! That second video seems to end with the possibility of a backdoor shady deal, so I need to try it out for myself sometime. How long did this take you to make?

Thanks! There is a little "secret" to unlock, although it's pretty straightforward because I didn't want anyone to spend too much time on getting it, haha.

I started working on this around the last Hall of Greats, so I think mid-ish December. Majority of my free time after work/on weekends since then has been spent on this, haven't had a lot of time to actually play any games (now to finish Yakuza 2-5).

@tokyoslim said in Hall of Greats Teaser: Beginning Year (UE4):

Please tell me you submitted this to community showcase

I haven't, though I was thinking about possibly doing that. Although I don't really know when/if that is happening in March?

• This is so good! Awesome job!!

• That is simply amazing. I love it, and it should be shown to the Allies.

• I would even suggest having them play it during a group stream, maybe the next Hall of Greats Induction stream, for like 20 minutes at the start of the show.

• @dreamgoblin The submission post is up right now on Patreon for $10 and up Patrons. The video will be recorded next thursday.

• @tokyoslim said in Hall of Greats Teaser: Beginning Year (UE4):

@dreamgoblin The submission post is up right now on Patreon for $10 and up Patrons. The video will be recorded next thursday.

Cool, thanks, I'll take a look at it.

• Great Job, absolutely tonnes of functionality. Really feels like you're wandering round a literal Hall of Greats with all the museum facilities that you would expect.

The only thing that's missing I think is some tour functionality. A bit of voice over that guides you round the hall. Maybe get in touch with Jones, see if he'll collaborate on something with you!

• This is pretty cool. I'll give it a download and check it out!

• I just checked it out and I must I am impressed. It feels cozy just walking around and watching/listening to the media you're inserted in each room. Great job !

Side note : If any of you get an error message saying you're missing dll files when trying to open the program (like I did), install UE4 which is included in the Engine folder.

• @whiskeyjack said in Hall of Greats Teaser: Beginning Year (UE4):

I just checked it out and I must I am impressed. It feels cozy just walking around and watching/listening to the media you're inserted in each room. Great job !

Side note : If any of you get an error message saying you're missing dll files when trying to open the program (like I did), install UE4 which is included in the Engine folder.

Thanks, I forgot to mention that, I'll add it to the OP.

• Glad it got posted on the showcase. Cheers!

• Hey DreamGoblin !! :D just discovered I could download it thru your youtube links and came here naturally to say THANK you :) I have a very old laptop and it runs GREAT on my end !! Such a joy to rediscover all the inductions !! I'll try to give you more feedback later if I spot something odd !! :) It's a 10/10 job everybody should download it and should promote it via twitter cause i'm not sure many allies know you can download it !! I will try to spread the word on EZA twitch chat, the place I hang the most !! feel free to join us there when streams are offline !!!
    Once again L&R

edit: 1h later :) still loving it, reached the secret thing :D had to put headphones on, don't wanna spoil, but is there more after ? I'm convinced there is, but my friend says no. I'm still investigating !

• @tahitianwarrior said in Hall of Greats Teaser: Beginning Year (UE4):

Hey DreamGoblin !! :D just discovered I could download it thru your youtube links and came here naturally to say THANK you :) I have a very old laptop and it runs GREAT on my end !! Such a joy to rediscover all the inductions !! I'll try to give you more feedback later if I spot something odd !! :) It's a 10/10 job everybody should download it and should promote it via twitter cause i'm not sure many allies know you can download it !! I will try to spread the word on EZA twitch chat, the place I hang the most !! feel free to join us there when streams are offline !!!
    Once again L&R

edit: 1h later :) still loving it, reached the secret thing :D had to put headphones on, don't wanna spoil, but is there more after ? I'm convinced there is, but my friend says no. I'm still investigating !

Thanks, really glad you like it! Also good to hear it runs on your laptop. I was a little worried since I could only test it on my PC.

Unfortunately there is nothing past the last room (maybe in later versions I'll expand on that), sorry about that. Kind of like the RE7 demo, it's just meant to tease possible future versions/be an easter egg. That being said, getting to that room does unlock a new "ability" (check the controls menu if you haven't already).

• @dreamgoblin yes of course and I loved it :) I think I've watched all the videos available, it was great what you did with the extra videos playing after the induction ones ! and that metroid room :o freaked me out :D the background music is so dope :)