Super Smash Bros. Ultimate (Switch)

• Spirits looks like a silly gacha style addition, so I don't see a ton of excitement for that. There was a lot of filler in the direct and some lackluster character announcements. So the direct as a whole wasn't really amazing.

• @sacred-arfaid what is gocha about it. Nothing they showed was any more or less random than trophies

• I mean it looks like a cross between Event mode and and Subspace

• @dmcmaster exactly, both were absent in 4 too. Hyped

• @bigdude1
    No event mode was in 4

• @mbun said in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate (Switch):

They removed For Fun and For Glory, so now you have even less control of how you want to play Smash Online. You can create a preset for how you'd like to play, but once you go online it is down to RNG whether you get to play a match with your rules against someone who probably doesn't want to play that way, or you're forced to play how you don't want to play against someone else's preferred rules. Both of those outcomes are bad, and I can see people who just want to do 1v1 with no items online just leaving immediately when they start a match with items leading to even more frustration with the online.

1. players who disconnect will receive bans from online play. so there's that problem dealt with.

2. competitive players will be mad about not being guaranteed that EVERY single match will be 1v1 with no items? boo fucking hoo.

imo the competitive scene can go have a cry. whether they like it or not they are the minority of players who enjoy playing Super Smash Bros. some of us actually like some variety and don't want to play the exact same way EVERY SINGLE TIME. sometimes it's nice to have a free for all or team battle, with or without items etc. it just makes things more interesting instead of being forced to play a single, generic type of rules set every single time.

the competitive scene also ALWAYS use's the excuse of banning items and stages because "items are too random and things like walk off stages are too easy to abuse and make it unfair for less skilled players." if you were ACTUALLY the best and as skillful at smash bros as you say you are, you would be able to win in ALL types of matches and situations. some items are easy to obuse? ok. so learn the effects of all the different items and teach yourself how to avoid certain items or how to counter them then. don't cry just because items help to give novice players a chance of winning.

and for the record. i actually enjoy and prefer playing with competitive rulesets. but i also enjoy variety and having some as well and the competitive Smash community is too whiny and has way too much influence on how Smash bros is played by people imo.

i was recently at a Smash Bros Panel at PAX Aus and someone asked the question to one of the competive smash players up on stage how they think something like the Squad Strike mode will affect the competive scene and will it show up at tourneys in the future?

the competive player up on stage replied that they might have really small brackets at tourneys but it probably won't become a mainline thing at tournaments because people have their mains and don't want to be forced to learn how to use other characters.

What the actual fuck. again. if you were ACTUALLY good at Super Smash Bros then by all means have a main fighter but you should also learn how to use other fighters as well. you should be able to beat me with multiple different characters in a variety of different ways. not just by spamming exactly the same Bayonetta or Cloud combo's every single match.

that's what i mean when i say that the competitive smash bros scene is way too whiny and picky about how the game is played.

• @dmcmaster said in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate (Switch):

mode

o yeah lol i forgot

• The direct was a disappointment for me since I really only cared about new characters and all three from yesterday are stinkers in my book, that said the 'adventure' mode does look kind of interesting to me so at least there was that.

Didn't really know there was a controversy about the online features, I really only care about Smash to play in person with friends so anything else is just an extra for me.

• On the bright side we at least know the 5DLC characters are completely new and not a clone or echo of previous characters. Speaking of with 5 characters to pick who does everyone hope make it in?
    Personally I'd pick
    Shantae (Shantae series)
    Bill/Lance (Contra)
    Skull Kid and Geno (just to make people shut up)
    Lloyd (Tales of Symphonia)

• @dmcmaster said in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate (Switch):

On the bright side we at least know the 5DLC characters are completely new and not a clone or echo of previous characters. Speaking of with 5 characters to pick who does everyone hope make it in?

Alex or Ryan from River City Random and Frog from Chrono Trigger.

• @dmcmaster I don't know if this would be my definitive list but I would likely include

Banjo
    Shantae
    Shovel Knight
    Knuckles

And this beyond pie in the sky but I would love have Barry Goodman from TMS#FE in there.

• Elma
    Wonder Red
    Rex
    Gold/silver from pokemon gold and silver
    Bandanna Dee

• The Missing Features™ that might still be there

They aren't.

People have in-depth analyzed the menus now, and it looks like the majority of side modes from Smash 4 and previous games are missing as feared. While we do have the main mode of Spirits called World of Light, what looks to be a pretty well thought out new take on Classic Mode in Ultimate, All-Star dumbed down and absorbed into a reworked Multiman Smash type mode called Mob Smash, some mainstays like Records and the Challenge board, and an improved Training Mode on top of Tips and videos for how to play each character. The "short" list of the things pretty much confirmed missing now is Trophies, Smash Run, Smash Tour, Break the Targets / Target Blast, Home-Run Contest, Stage Builder, Special Orders, and Custom Moves. Most of these seem to have been canned to make room for the dumb Spirits Mode add-ons outside of World of Light. I'm talking that shit that looks like it belongs in a mobile game.

@yoshi said:

imo the competitive scene can go have a cry. whether they like it or not they are the minority of players who enjoy playing Super Smash Bros. some of us actually like some variety and don't want to play the exact same way EVERY SINGLE TIME.

I disagree, not only because this is the most Smash has ever leaned into the competitive side of the franchise, which in the past they've hated even acknowledging, so they might as well cater to that crowd this time, but also because the issue at it's core is players who go online not being able to choose how they want to play online. I have the same problem with games like Mario Kart Wii where when you go online to battle, you can't choose which type of battle you want to play, so even if all you want to do is play Balloon Battle, you end up having to play Coin Battle instead randomly, possibly more than you even get to play Balloon Battle by the time you no longer want to play. That kind of thing always sucks, especially if you had limited time to play in the first place or wanted to practice playing a certain way.

it just makes things more interesting instead of being forced to play a single, generic type of rules set every single time.

And by that same note, the opposite will ring true as well. Sure you like no items, competitive rulesets, but you might end up swept up in playing nothing but that more often than you wish to simply by receiving bad RNG from matchmaking. So this very much is a problem that will affect you as well and not just the competitive scene.

people have their mains and don't want to be forced to learn how to use other characters
    What the actual fuck. again. if you were ACTUALLY good at Super Smash Bros then by all means have a main fighter but you should also learn how to use other fighters as well

The top pros actually do learn this, because some characters are stronger against others, but they'll still of course have a preferred character they're the most comfortable with and best at utilizing that they dump the most practice into.

Anyways, Smash Ultimate right now is looking not so Ultimate in every department except it's roster. I'm very disappointed what it is turning out to be, and while I don't want Sakurai and his team to crunch hard to add even more to the game before the launch date, I wish the Switch's Online Service hadn't rushed this game out. If Ultimate had another year or two development time to flesh out like Smash 4, I feel like we'd really be getting a game worth calling the Ultimate Smash Bros. instead of the most barebones Smash Bros. since Melee, just with every character and almost every stage returning. That's still impressive sure, but it does come at the cost of lots more. People have even been speculating that World of Light's story is basically a metaphor for that. This isn't MY Ultimate Smash Bros., but I hope people enjoy what's there when it comes out. Also, in a weird way, this game being not a port and being so light on features at least means Smash 4 isn't immediately never worth playing again once Ultimate comes out, which I would go as far to say was probably one of Sakurai's goals with leaning so hard into Spirits on this one.

• @mbun said in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate (Switch):

the issue at it's core is players who go online not being able to choose how they want to play online. I have the same problem with games like Mario Kart Wii where when you go online to battle, you can't choose which type of battle you want to play, so even if all you want to do is play Balloon Battle, you end up having to play Coin Battle instead randomly, possibly more than you even get to play Balloon Battle by the time you no longer want to play. That kind of thing always sucks, especially if you had limited time to play in the first place or wanted to practice playing a certain way.

the problem with being able to pick your rules and be guaranteed to play with those rules against randoms is that other people around the world might not want to choose exactly the same ruleset as you.

you might want a 3 minutes 1v1 no items match but this other guy wants a 7 minutes 1v1 no items match instead. meanwhile another guy might want a 3 minute 1v1 match with items.

there might not be other people playing online with the exact same ruleset preference as you so by sakurai allowing us to select our preffered ruleset and then have matchmaking pair us up with other players who have similar rulesets then at least you won't be waiting in the lobby forever.

this way you might play a 1v1 3 stock match with no items for 7 minutes, the next you might be playing a 1v1 with items, then you might be thrown into a free for all match and then a team battle match the next.

the way sakurai has set up Smash Ultimates online just ensures there's variety in match types and that there will be less chance of being stuck waiting for ages in the lobby for someone to show up

• @yoshi Yep, all this is true. I just wish there was still a hard divide between more causal and more competitive play before you went into fine tuning the rules of each. My friend constantly complained before about every time he'd play For Fun in Smash 4, getting nothing but "Taunt Parties" where people wanted to run around and spam taunts rather than play with items. Now competitive players will get thrown into matches like this, and that sucks. If there was at least still the basic divide down the middle, you could concede that sometimes you're playing 3 minute time no items and other times you'll end up 5 stock no items, but at least both are similar under a banner of a more competitive mindset. Of course the opposite would be true for the other side where you'd get all your goofy, all over the place rules, but they'd all be aimed towards players showing up to goof around and have fun online rather than focus on practicing to get better.

• @yoshi they are a vocal minority anyway

• Instead of what you want to play why not have the option to set a deal breaker?

• @bigdude1
    It has that same mobil game loop and raising/acquiring spirits seems like busy work.

• @sacred-arfaid it really isnt though, mobile games use it for its core gameplay, this is simply side buffs for the campaign. you can probably grab a few good spirits and you are probably easily set for the whole game. it just gives some longevity if its a mode you dive into.

• Your kinda rephrase some of my feeling in a more positive way. Mobile games are pretty small, so have a mobile like game as a side thing isn't so odd. I just don't think people are really going wild for it nor was it a highlight of the direct.