Formula One

• For all the F1 fans here. The new season is just a week away, so let's check out the teams, drivers and the calendar for 2018.

The teams and the drivers are:

Mercedes AMG Petronas Motorsport

• Lewis Hamilton (GBR)
    • Valtteri Bottas (FIN)

Scuderia Ferrari

• Sebastian Vettel (GER)
    • Kimi Räikkönen (FIN)

Aston Martin Red Bull Racing

• Daniel Ricciardo (AUS)
    • Max Verstappen (NED)

Sahara Force India F1 Team

• Sergio Peréz (MEX)
    • Esteban Ocon (FRA)

Williams Martini Racing

• Lance Stroll (CAN)
    • Sergey Sirotkin (RUS)

Renault Sport Formula One Team

• Carlos Sainz Jr. (ESP)
    • Nico Hülkenberg (GER)

Red Bull Toro Rosso Honda

• Pierre Gasly (FRA)
    • Brendon Hartley (NZL)

Haas F1 Team

• Romain Grosjean (FRA)
    • Kevin Magnussen (DEN)

McLaren F1 Team

• Fernando Alonso (ESP)
    • Stoffel Vandoorne (BEL)

Alfa Romeo Sauber F1 Team

• Marcus Ericsson (SWE)
    • Charles Leclerc (MON)

The calendar and its 21 Grands Prix are the following:

1. Australia, 25 March
    2. Bahrain, 8 April
    3. China, 15 April
    4. Azerbaijan, 29 April
    5. Spain, 13 May
    6. Monaco, 27 May
    7. Canada, 10 June
    8. France, 24 June
    9. Austria, 1 July
    10. United Kingdom, 8 July
    11. Germany, 22 July
    12. Hungary, 29 July
    13. Belgium, 26 August
    14. Italy, 2 September
    15. Singapore, 16 September
    16. Russia, 30 September
    17. Japan, 7 October
    18. United States, 21 October
    19. Mexico, 28 October
    20. Brazil, 11 November
    21. United Arab Emirates, 25 November

Hamilton is the defending drivers' champion and Mercedes the defending constructors' champion, the latter for the fourth year in a row. Can Ferrari and Red Bull catch Mercedes this year, continues to be the question.

The new cockpit protection device - the "halo" - will be the most visible change in the cars this season.

And as a Finn, my one wish for the season will be to see Kimi on the highest podium one more time. This will most likely be the fan favorite's final season in F1. Come on, Kimi!

• Global Moderator

Thank you for creating this! This season will be very interesting to see how it develops and who will be on top. If testing is anything to judge by the top will be pretty even and hopefully there will be some really cool fights up there. Meanwhile in the back I keep my fingers crossed for Sauber and Marcus Ericsson that they finally can have a competitive car and fight for points this year.

I tend to watch every race and are quite spoiled here in UK as SKY have a quite large covering of each race. Which races are you looking forward to this year? And what is your opinion on the "halo" which have stirred up so much emotions in the fan base?

Must also say that I am happy that Liberty media have taken over in the sense of publicity and how they pump out contact on social media which have strongly been needed for a long time.

Here is a great playlist for the people that want to catch up on last year (Sorry for the spoily titles)

Let the fun begin!

• @lotias I watch every race (and almost every qualification) with my dad, that's been our tradition for many years.

I think the US GP is one of my favorites in Austin, there's often an exciting race. Canada's also cool. Pretty interested to see what's France like now. It's not Magny-Cours, which I remember, but Circuit Paul Ricard, which I've never seen before.

The halo looks a bit silly, but I don't mind it too much. I just find it baffling that it doesn't bother the drivers' view that the halo connects to the car right in center and in front of their eyes. I guess you don't just notice it while driving, then.

I'm also happy that during the past year or two F1 has finally activated in Facebook etc. Lots of cool stuff often.

• Global Moderator

Yeah I am really hyped on France as an addition to this years calendar. I just hope that the Halo doesnt cause any problems with getting out in terms of flipped cars and so on.

Personally I am a big fan of the Spa (Belgium) race. I think it allows for some interesting races and the track are so iconic. Last year Austin opening had me laughing so hard, it was awesome! Always good races there as well

• The Australian qualifications are over. It looked pretty much like the same way the last season ended. Glad that Kimi could beat Vettel, not glad that Bottas crashed like that. Hamilton's again super fast.

• Global Moderator

Yeah I had hoped that there would be some more mixup in the top, but it looks quite same-ish. However, the bottom looks like there could be some great fights this season about the lower points as its fairly even (time wise).

• Yeah behind the top three teams I hope it will be even between many of the seven teams. There's potential for many good fights, even between teammates in many cases.

• Woke up early today to watch the season start. Not a bad one, it had its moments. Vettel got super lucky with that VSC, though. Hamilton got a few tries to try and catch him in the end, but no. Kimi got on the podium, at least, which is always great, and he seemed pleased with the car and its performance, which is also good to hear.

Bottas was sadly totally stuck, nothing to write home about this time. And Haas... Oh man. Only exploding cars would've been worse than that. Both retired within moments of each others, and in what way. The pit stop team was practically throwing things after the second failure. Just awful to witness that happening. Alonso got a very good 5th place and he was pleased on the radio in the end. Maybe McLaren has found a new wind finally. It would make the season much more interesting.

• Alono's 5th would have been a 7th if Haas had managed to successfully complete a pit stop.

I don't quite get how Haas released the cars but also instantly knew that they had messed up. I would have thought they'd have a system that stopped the front jack man lowering the car before the guys on tyres were ready.

I think Bottas and Verstappen were the big losers from Melbourne. If it's going to be three teams fighting for the championship you can't afford to let the likes of Alonso and Hulkenburg take points from you.

I'm so happy F1 is back, race weekends are the best weekends.

• A bit too familiar feeling again, as Vettel manages to play the ace up from his sleeve at the last possible moment. Well, everything's still possible tomorrow. Glad to see Bottas waking up in the end, beating Hamilton. Having Lewis and Verstappen start more from behind gives a nice extra spice to the race, hopefully.

• I’ve never been a Verstappen fan, but it’s always fun seeing him come from behind.

• Global Moderator

Yeah this feels kinda similar to last year. Also happy for Bottas that he got to beat Hamilton in qualy, should be an confidence boost for him. Hopefully the race will have some fun events in it with both Verstappen and Hamilton starting a little further back than normal. I got a little disappointed that my boy Ericsson didnt get into Q2, but lets see what they have managed to scrape together for the race.

• Global Moderator

What a great race! a shame about Redbull but that gave Ericsson a chance to pick P9 and 2 points to Sauber Alfa Romeo, so thank you very much! The end was so so close and Bottas could of taken the win with another lap I think. A lot of action through out and lets hope the Ferrari mechanics speedy recovery!

• Yep, it was great to see that Ericsson managed to stay on the points. Good job for him and Sauber! Same words to Gasly on Toro Rosso, P4. Great celebrations in the team, thumbs up.

That Ferrari incident was really, really frustrating to witness. I mean what the hell. And it's always Kimi, damn it. And this time a person got even physically injured, that was hard to see. Hopefully he didn't get hurt too severely.

Bottas made suddenly the last c. 10 laps extremely exciting when he started to catch on Vettel. But damn it, he'd have needed a lap or two more. Pfffffff. Well, great race from him anyway.

• Chinese GP. Holy shit, that was insane! I mean what the hell just happened, honestly. Verstappen went nuts more than on one occasion and finally crashed into Vettel. That was something unreal, Kimi overtook three cars in that corner as a result, yes! He suffered so much in the beginning and was later forced to help the team, but this made up for all of that. And the Chinese audience cheered for their hero on the podium. :)

Red Bull was in the perfect position when the SC came out and they got their new tires. Together with Ricciardo's skills that was an unstoppable combo. I'm just happy it wasn't Vettel or Hamilton who won, Ricciardo's cool. Valtteri did all he could in his 100th GP and second place was really good after a solid race from him. Hamilton couldn't do anything this time, on the other hand.

A really, really exciting race, I enjoyed it a lot!

• Global Moderator

Haha yeah I was so glad that I got up early to witness this race. I was surprised that they all made it through the first turn without any major incidents, thinks thats a first. Verstappen tried some manoeuvres which was kinda stupid with crashing into Vettel. Then again you need to take chances to win. The race started out a bit stale but quickly kicked off. I was so impressed by Ricciardo and you can tell he sits on a lot of experience, I like him a lot. Was fun to see a little different podium than we normally do.

This season really ramps up to be something special. Looking forward to Azerbaijan in 2 weeks time!

Looks like your connection to Easy Allies Forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.