Formula One

• I just did some research into F1 Replay. I was wondering why its cheaper in Canada than in the USA (that's NEVER the case). Well lo and behold, its because our sports network TSN owned by Bell Media (one of two major media corporations holding a monopoly over Canadian telecommunications) still has the right to first broadcast in Canada, meaning F1 Pro isn't available here for at least one more season.

I'd happily pay $100/yr for an archive of documentary footage, old races, LIVE qualifying, and LIVE races as it available to stream in the US and other nations. Our media monopoly drives me insane sometimes. Bell and Rogers lobby the government to forbid phone companies from offering better deals because they are greedy and don't like fair competition. I hope to god F1 doesn't renew a bad deal with them in 2020 and they offer streaming in Canada.

Based on everything I've read, the new F1 owners, Liberty Media, do in fact make consumer friendly TV contracts with broadcasters and F1 has been improving in this regard. I almost feel inclined to write them an email or something kindly asking they don't do an antiquated TV deal in Canada for 2020. For frame of reference, Rogers didn't want to lose WWE when they released WWE Network so in Canada in order to get WWE Network, you have to subscribe to a Rogers TV channel AND WWE Network and can only sign into the portal through your TV provider which is ridiculous and costs hundreds of dollars when in the US its $10/month to stream online.

• Ferrari is having a great pace in Bahrain. A top-notch qualification from Leclerc, track record and all. My mind seems to be this season that if not Bottas, then Leclerc. It'd be really welcome to see these two having a great season without accidents and engine problems. Haas is still showing strong performance as well, but so is McLaren, and also with both their drivers. Renault, on the other hand, is having some difficulties to get into Q3. And poor Williams... in a league of their own, so to speak.

• A really good help for visualisation.

alt text

• Global Moderator

Thanks for that visual! Yeah it’s fun to see “new” guys fighting. I would much rather have a fight between bottas and leclerc in the end of the season than Hamilton and Seb

• Now that was a race with happenings. An interesting show! What a horrible fate for Leclerc, he had it on the palm of his hand and then that happened. Tough to watch. But he'll surely have his win later on this season, a really capable guy. Vettel, on the other hand, made a pure mistake of his own under Hamilton pressure. And so Mercedes suddenly has the maximum constructor points after two races. I'm happy for Bottas for these results. Kimi's currently "the best of the rest", nice job on Alfa. But what in the actual hell happened to Renault? BOTH cars have a mechanical failure literally within 10-15 seconds of each others. That's simply unbelievable. The hell happened, that was miserable.

• It sucks that Leclerc had his engine issue with 10 laps to go instead of 2 or 3. He might have been able to hang on and get the win. Good race though - it was also 11am my time so I didn't die watching it at 3am or something.

Vettel falling off was disappointing too. I don't entirely know what happened. Did he mess up under pressure as Hamilton passed him or did his right tire lock up? I'm not seasoned enough to really tell what was going on there.

• Global Moderator

It was a good race. I do really feel bad for Leclerc, he has really grown on me just for these past two races. Also Kimi shows that he is still the old fox we know and love, the comment about his front wing "I dont know, you tell me" really made me chuckle. Seb's spin just made me facepalm, he needs to stop doing that, it was same last season that he got a fun spins under presure. I feel really puzzled about the Renaults, hopefully they can come back next race.

• Will Buxton's pre- and post-race Paddock Pass thoughts and interviews are great, always there to hype up the upcoming weekend and then to close things off after.

Youtube Video

• F1 Power Rankings is a cool addition to the season. It's supposed to focus purely on the performance of the driver himself, how he drove throughout the weekend, so the cars don't matter in this case.

"HOW IT WORKS

• Our five-man panel assess each driver after every Grand Prix and score them out of 10 according to their performance across the weekend – taking machinery out of the equation
    • Our experts’ scores are then combined to produce a race score. As the season progresses, these race scores are then averaged to produce a ranking which reflects driver performance"

For example Leclerc got 10 points from everyone on the panel after Bahrain, so that's 50 points. Average that together with his Power Rankings points after Australia and he's got a 42 point average currently, placing him on the shared 4th position.
    https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/article.f1-power-rankings-verstappen-in-p1-after-bahrain-as-leclerc-enters-top-10.6qmqjcxVWgEQyZP1t9DFVz.html

• Global Moderator

@sentinel-beach That is pretty sweet! I know that Sky has done something similar earlier seasons. I like it even though sometimes it feels like they are very biased towards certain drivers. I think this will be proper though. looking forward to following it.

Also I have started to listen to "back of the Grid" F1 podcast whilst cooking, its rather entetainment and they disucuss drivers and races as well as news and stuff. You can find it on most podcast services, including spotify.

• 0_1554931046462_RE.png

https://jalopnik.com/what-you-find-when-you-look-into-rich-energy-the-myste-1833303620

Okay... this was a really juicy read. It's long and thorough and kinda goes to show how stupid marketing and sponsorship's really are when you think about it. I don't work in business so I don't think of these things daily, but when I do, I think about how everybody, everything, and especially every brand tries to present themselves in such a particular and planned way. Especially when compared to the reality of being an average joe, a startup company, etc.

Just some food for thought and F1-related.

Another thought I had is how little I actually pay attention to the brands on the liveries. I never even thought about Rich Energy. I hadn't even noticed it until this article brought it up. The only standout liveries for me in my life is the Indycar that was green for KOOL cigarettes. That one stood out because I got in trouble for wearing a t-shirt in school back in like 2004. I wanna say Paul Tracy was the driver but I can't even remember. Then Ferrari in the 90s-2000s had Marlboro as a sponsor. That's all I can recall off the top of my head. Both happen to sell smokes... hmmmm..

• Nicely done from Bottas, that was a really tight qualification between him and Hamilton. Pole position on the 1000th GP. Kimi's super long streak to get into Q3 ended finally, I believe it was from Hungary 2016 till now. 53 or 55 qualifications, something like that. But sure, it was inevitable now on Alfa. And that final try for Red Bull and Haas was embarassing, running out of time simply like that. Max especially was really pissed and blamed others because of what happened during the last few corners, but in the end this was really the fault of their own people behind the screens. Just give the drivers like 10 secs more, that's all it would've taken.

• Pretty uneventful race after Bahrain, not a lot to remember for the 1000th GP. Bottas unfortunaly lost his place right away and that was it, the Mercedes two controlled the race in that order entirely after that. Total dominance, as they've already now gained almost twice the points compared to Ferrari after only three races. And speaking of Ferrari, the team politics rose their head and caused eventually Leclerc to drop even behind Verstappen. This'll be a curious scenario to follow this season, seeing if they'll really push Vettel and how will Leclerc respond.

Kimi rose a few good positions and got P9 with a few points. Albon made an even bigger impact by gaining ten spots and getting the Driver of the Day title, well deserved. And it was cool to see how Red Bull played their cards right with Gasly and managed to get him that one extra point in the final laps. There was so much space behind him that there was nothing to lose at that point. Ricciardo got his first points in the yellow jumpsuit.

• Global Moderator

I would had hoped that the 1000th race would be one to remember, especially after all the build up. In reality it kinda ended up being a "meh" race. Ferrari really really needs to look over their strategies and allow for Leclerc to race a bit more. I know its early days, but really have a hard time to see how they will catch up for Mercedes this season (again)

• I went to bed then got up again for this at 2:00am. I think I was so tired that I couldn’t retain anything except for how much smog is in Shanghai. It’s quit sad to say the least.

• So, everything back to normal.

• Lando makes a meme out of himself. :]
    https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=1070653226454139

• Global Moderator

@sentinel-beach Hahaha that is absolutely brilliant!

• A manhole cover came loose in Baku and damaged Russell's Williams. But fear not, that problem seems to have been taken care of now.

• Global Moderator

Hahaha yeah that was one of the more bizzare reasons for breakdowns on a racetrack. I guess its a citycourse but still!