Formula One

• Qualifying was more exciting than the past few races. Good show from Kimi!!

• Global Moderator

Hamilton gets 3 place penalty for blocking Kimi. Shame I missed the quali, but it’s been too nice of a day. Looking forward to the race tomorrow though as it’s one of my favourite tracks of the year.

• I missed it too. Seems like the top-6 is nicely different this time around. The track is good in Austria, and with these standings I'm hoping for an interesting race.

• The hell was that?! Verstappen was simply magical, dear Lord what a race from him! Insane. Never would've thought so after the disasterous start, but here we are now. Leclerc was still a tough opponent to pass, unlike Bottas and Vettel just before that. And these two guys (Max & Charles) will have like 15-20 years in F1 if they so choose. A couple of good fights still left, I tell you.

Kimi had a great start, and at least both Alfas got points today. Giovinazzi his first ever, nice. McLaren duo continued their strong going, they're doing very well. Gasly, on the other hand, lost one ring to his teammate and the winner. His future doesn't seem too bright on Red Bull, I'm sorry to say.

• Global Moderator

Suuuch a fun race to watch! I had high expectation which got met a few times over! This really showed why Red Bull Ring are one of my favourite tracks to watch. Verstappen really showed that he is a force to recon with. I couldnt believe it after that unlucky start, doing more or less everything right. I hope we get a lot more races like this. After last dull race, this was EXACTLY what we and the sport needed.

Wish we would of seen more of Sainz as he did some really good position grabbing as well through the race. Could the season now please continue with some high intense races like this please?

• Awesome race. I kinda felt bad Charles lost the lead so close to the end but it was a good bout for first place as well as an awesome middle battle too.

Red Bull Ring is clearly one of the best tracks and those 3 DRS zones make for awesome entertainment and comebacks are perfectly viable.

Any word on why Hamilton kinda fell off this race?

EDIT: Just found this good article on ESPN talking about the race in contrast to prior races.

https://www.espn.com/f1/story/_/id/27096721/how-verstappen-claimed-incredible-win-why-mercedes-was-nowhere-seen

0_1562085287795_d311d8bf-2b46-4164-aa32-8cd11fc6e67e-image.png

• Global Moderator

@dipset Mercedes couldnt really get the car to work, as I understood it there were issues regarding to temperature.

Also now when Red Bull Ring was good, I really hope SPA and Hungory Ring will offer some more stellar races.

Next are Silverstone, which is always a nice event, but hard to see how Hamilton not are gonna win.

• Would anybody recommend me F1 2019?

I haven't played an F1 game since EA's F1 2001 on PS1 (lots of 1's) and I'm familiar with the quality to expect from a Codemasters game, but I'm more curious if this game is actually exceptional in any way or adss anything worthwhile to the racing genre. Especially considering I have and play GT Sport which is going strong. Is it fun to practice, qualify, and race throughout a season?

• @dipset 2018 was pretty good, in-track or off. If you like racing games and haven't played any recent F1 game I would say go for it. No doubt.

• Global Moderator

So.... Rich Energy terminates their contract with Haas F1. Announcing it via this awful tweet:

There has been much speculation on the company to begin with and they have always smelt fishy to me. Don't think they ever will come back.

• @lotias

Soooo yesterday when I read that Tweet I thought to myself... "Yeah. Has everything to do with Haas' performance and not you being some weird fringe company where nobody can even find where to buy your products in stores..."

Then jump ahead to today and I find this article:
    https://www.espn.com/f1/story/_/id/27168496/haas-title-sponsor-asserts-commitment-team-rogue-tweet
    0_1562892358033_510e99a4-2505-4cb7-9a16-f5bd9ed3c58b-image.png
    0_1562892383742_9747a3ea-0f2b-4b09-b0df-933af1e216dd-image.png

So Jalopnik does some investigation to even find out who Rich Energy is and its super unclear. Then their weirdo CEO talks shit about the team he's sponsoring. THEN they go back on the Tweet and fire him.

Not gonna lie.... MAKES ME WANNA DRINK SOME RICH ENERGY BABY!!

• Bottas takes the pole position with 0.006 s difference to Hamilton. Pretty close one!

• Global Moderator

Happy for Bottas! fun with leclerc as third. Guessing it will come down to the start tomorrow, but will be very suprised if we dont got silver arrows in the top tomorrow.

• "Frank Williams is the longest serving team boss in F1 history. He is also the world's longest living tetraplegic. Over 50 years, he has amassed 9 constructor titles, 7 driver titles, 114 race wins, and countless unforgettable memories. Along with Williams, Mercedes, Lewis Hamilton and Pirelli, we decided to add one more..."

Man, this put a smile on my face as well. :)

Youtube Video

• Global Moderator

Yeah that was such a sweet video!

The race at Silverstone today was great! so much action and so much things going on through out the whole race. At the saftey car I just knew Hamilton would win this race. No real surprise there.

I just wonder with Vettel, is this his last season in F1? he doesnt seem to have his head in the game anymore and that locking up and hitting Verstappen was something you could see from one of the younger drivers, not a vet.

• Well shit. Like shit. The race was actually super entertaining, liked it a lot, but damn, that safety car situation tastes bad. Hamilton got the free pit-stop and that was it. There was nothing Bottas could do anymore. Plus he still had to make another stop in any case to fulfill the tyre rule. Gladstone Gander, that Hamilton.

Leclerc and Verstappen had an awesome fight through many, many rounds. Really exciting, way too many "that was close" situations. I'm happy Charles got P3 in the end. Vettel's crash into Max was simply... I don't even know what to say. Pretty awful stuff. Kimi was P8 and earned a few solid points. Haas, on the other hand, had a horrible race. Both Magnussen and Grosjean were simply terrible out there. To hit a teammate like that, and then both out immediately.

• Kimi driving the Alfa Romeo that won Silverstone GP in 1950, Nino Farina as the driver back then. That is a GORGEOUS automobile!

alt text

And look, a wild Mika Häkkinen appears! He's interested in the red beauty as well. Great to see the two champs like this. :)

• What a disaster for Ferrari this qualification! Two technical failures, P20 for Vettel in his home race and later in Q3 another problem for Leclerc, putting him on P10. And they both looked very promising still during the practise sessions. Kimi, on the other hand, felt the power and took P5, nice! Best qualification for Alfa since 1985, apparently. :]

• Global Moderator

What a quali for Kimi! he was really flying around that track! Feeling bad for Ferrari having problems again. I hope it will rain tomorrow so we get some more interesting race. otherwise it will be Mercedes 1-2 for sure.

• Seems to be raining in Hockenheim, this ought be an interesting race then. At least hopefully! Let's see how Verstappen handles the situation, I remember him driving like crazy, meaning extremely well, that one time in Interlagos when it rained heavily.