Formula One

• Also this

• Yeah Riccardo to McLaren makes sense to me. Fact of the matter is that he's 30 years old and one of the fastest drivers. He isn't getting younger and should join a team on an upward trajectory. I haven't checked in on it but McLaren is making a brand new wind tunnel and really taking their formula to the next level. Renault threw a jab at Riccardo about loyalty but eff that noise - Renault didn't support their drivers enough last season and that's the bottom line.

• Global Moderator

There are a provisional calender we got now! seems like at least the first races will be without audience
    https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/149421/provisional-2020-f1-calendar-takes-shape

• The season finally gets to start in a month! The July and August weekends will be packed, get ready.

• Global Moderator

@sentinel-beach yeah I saw this! makes me so happy! can't wait for some new racing! been rewatching old races so far just to get my "fix" I suppose. This will be great!

• Exciting times and I don't even like F1

• Thank god. I started watched NASCAR Cup Series out of desperation to gamble (which I low key enjoyed for the last hour of the race). Ended up making $318 on Chase Elliot to win the Alsco 500k last week.

I doubled down on him and bet another $50 for Chase Elliot to win the Ford City 500. He had the lead with 4 laps to go, gets passed, then like a typical inexperienced 24 year old racer, he drove the leader and himself off the road ruining both of their races and losing me $450!

I think I'm done with NASCAR and betting on motorsports fml

That said...

I might put $10 on an underdog to win Austria. Leclerc has pretty good odds right now.

• Global Moderator

We are back this week!! I cannot wait for the weekend and having the first race of the year. Even though we won't have an audience it will be nice to see the cars on track once again.

• Is it naive to think somebody other than Mercedes & Ferrari will get the 1-2-3-4 this season?

For some reason I'm buying into the hype that Red Bull & McLearn have a shot.

• It's always good to buy into the hype! The reality will come eventually, but before the season everything's possible. :) McLaren's great pace would be fantastic.

• Good news!

Formula 1 left the dark ages behind and F1 TV Pro is now a stipulation of all their new TV broadcasting rights contracts. They must've listed to feedback and I like to imagine my email / survey's helped. For reference, I complained last year because F1 TV Pro was just race replays because TSN (sports network in Canada) had the exclusive right to first broadcast.

Now with the new F1 / TSN deal for 2020, they offer live streaming just like everywhere else on the planet! So people can officially cut the cord. I assume it'll still be a TSN broadcast through the F1 TV Pro app, but that's better than buying cable. The reason TSN sucks is A) they do a tiny ass picture in picture during commercials which mutes the race and displays it so barely visible, and B) TSN coverage of everything is horrible and archaic, but especially F1 where they will have SportsCenter on 3 different channels instead of airing FP3.

I ordered F1 TV Pro and split the cost with my step dad so hopefully it all goes smoothly and there aren't those annoying TSN commercials.

• The McLarens apparently are made of glass.

• Global Moderator

Yeah it feels like they forgot sturdiness of it! really looking foward to quali later today even though I have a hard time not seeing merc 1-2 with prolly redbull after.

• Mercedes dominates. Luckily it was Bottas this time around who captured the pole.
    • Ferrari struggles. Vettel on P11 must be devastating, and it was simply due to the lack of pace.
    • Racing Point and McLaren will be fighters this season. There Will Be Podiums.
    • Alfa Romeo seems sadly lost. Twice as sad if this turns out to be Kimi's last season.

• Even better news! The F1 TV Pro feed is the Official F1 feed so I don't ever have to watch TSN ever again! I'm so happy!!

Qualifying wasn't super eventful. My buddy who arbitrarily chose to support Alfa Romeo last season could only laugh at how bad they're doing. At first I thought it was the Ferrari itself, but Leclerc didn't do so bad with the same car. I can expect a lot of Ferrari frustration this year for me.

I absolutely LOVE the fact Racing Point copied Mercedes homework. I don't care if its sort of cheesy, its hilarious and I love the fact that they might be in contention this season for it.

• Happy for Lando!

• A pretty crazy race in the end! 9 out of 20 cars retired. Bottas kept his cool and pushed to victory, nice! And Lando indeed, damn I was happy for the guy. :) And McLaren in general, P3 and P5, excellent job. That Hamilton / Albon situation was identical to Brazil last year, again Lewis caused - propably not that intentionally - to Alex lose his podium position towards the end.

Vettel never recovered, and sure, there was even that spin of his. Leclerc on the other hand rose sneakily all the way to P2, nicely done. Red Bull is at 0 points at the moment, rough. Kimi's tire decided to go flying off, what the shit? Lots of safety cars, dangerous spots for Bottas / the leader, but luckily no harm done.

• That race was wild. Also kinda proves the thesis that a level playing field makes for more exciting races, no? Covid-19 is a devestating world crisis, but without trying to sound tasteless, it was a great equalizer for all of the teams who suffered development challenges. To me, this was evidence that if you level out the playing field, you get good results.

I was rooting for Perez to win the race cause my buddy had money on a Perez podium. We were on the edge of our seat but when he blew it we were sad.

Big showing from Leclerc to get up there in the big points. That was an awesome climb.

• By the way, Igor Fraga - Gran Turismo Sport superstar - is running on F3.

• Damn I knew he drove Super Cars but I didn’t know he was working his way up that high.