Formula One

• @phbz

I wonder how Kimi and Fernando feel.

In a world where Tom Brady has a 21 year old elite career and still counting, I feel like we’re going to see more and more of “older” talent and 18-20 year olds all in the same league.

The science surrounding health and nutrition is getting clearer and easier to follow. Wealthy athletes have more access to doctors, trainers, and nutritionalists for longer careers.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Hamilton races until he’s 43-45 and shares a grid with an 19 year old chasing him down.

• IDK why F1 isn't changing the messaging here, but FP2 = Qualifying for Friday, April 30th.

So FP2 will be the normal Q1, Q2, Q3 stages which will set a grid for the Sprint Qualifying on Saturday, March 1st.

Again, idk why they don't just rename FP2, it's confusing.

• Honestly I thought that crash between Russell and Bottas was Russell's mistake. Russell tried so hard to pass Bottas that there was no more track, he slipped on the grass, lost control and crashed into Bottas. Russell can be forgiven because he's young and thinking he's in the right which is what many young people do, I get the feeling he was only hot and blaming Bottas because he knew he messed up and placing the blame on him was easier in the moment.

• I have no clue what is going on.

This is an OFFICIAL F1 video on the Sprint Qualifying:

Youtube Video – [00:35..]

@35 seconds:

“Practice 2 has been replaced with a three part Qualifying session normally seen on a Saturday afternoon. This qualifying session is identical to our current qualifying format, but instead of setting the grid for Sunday's Grand Prix; it'll set the grid for Saturday's Sprint Qualifying.”

Well, I watched FP2 @ 10am and there was absolutely no qualifying session whatsoever. In fact, there wasn't even a mention of qualifying. The official F1 schedule still had FP2 scheduled and they did a normal FP2 like usual.

So when the heck is this alleged qualifying session happening? How do they determine the grid order for the Sprint Qualifying tomorrow.

The messaging here is a complete mess.

• @dipset it's just for 3 races this season and it's not this weekend. That's all I know.

• @phbz

Jesus I thought it was this weekend. That would explain it. I 100% read an article saying its this weekend and they discussed it at the press conference so that's what threw me off.

• My three takeaways from Portugal GP:

1. F1TV Pro has major technical problems.
    • Red buffering screen every half minute
    • 50Hz refresh rate (WTF)

• Wouldn't work on PC, Mac, iPhone 8, Chrome, Firefox, nor Safari
    • I better get some rebate for this week
    1. I'm not sure Martin Brundle and the gang know that "nip and tuck" mainly refers to a boob job in North America

2. Mazepin is a joke.

I know being a rookie is hard, but his rookie year is amateur hour compared to Russell, Leclerc, and Norris' a few years ago.

• Some grand prix are like watching paint dry and the Portuguese GP was kinda like that.

• Global Moderator

The biggest thing I took from this GP is.... Mazepin really shouldn't be in F1. Holy crap he makes it look like amateur hour.

• @lotias Hey, he made huge improvements, a whole race without going off track.

The race was interesting, the first three were very close the whole time and had some cool overtaking moments but midfield lacked good fights this time. It definitely lacked spectacle and big moments but it was competitive.

• A cool Spanish GP, what a rarity! Much thanks to a genius strategy from Mercedes and another superb drive by Lewis. I know many don't like seeing him win because he always does, but he got so much unfair criticism during the last years with people throwing shade at his real talent that I can't help but celebrate seeing him giving masterclass after masterclass.

Lots of midfield action too. Russell seemed about to score his first Williams point but seems like his car gave up on him on the last laps.

Added bonus for this season, seeing people lapping Mazepin and hoping he doesn't take them out.

• Off topic a bit, Romain Grosjean won the pole position for tomorrow's IndyCar race on the Indianapolis Motor Speedway infield road course.

• Monaco GP this weekend!

Leclerc was fastest at FP2 in his home GP! I love watching Monaco because the razor thin margin for error freaks me out, but I know it isn't really much of an overtaking track. I hope Ferrari pulls one out this weekend.

--

Not sure if you guys saw the 60 Minutes special / The New Yorker report that blew the lid off the US's “Advanced Aerospace Threat Identification” program about UFO's aka UAP's. The US Department of Defence / Congress are set to investigate these flying vehicles with a report coming as late as June 1st, 2021.

We're allegedly talking: "6-to-700 g-forces, that can fly at 13,000 miles an hour, that can evade radar and that can fly through air and water and possibly space. And oh, by the way, has no obvious signs of propulsion, no wings, no control surfaces and yet still can defy the natural effects of Earth's gravity."

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2021/05/10/how-the-pentagon-started-taking-ufos-seriously

I think Formula 1 cars might've finally met their match!

Let's take in the fact that the world has been so unprecedentedly crazy the past while that I am mostly nonchalant and accepting of the fact that unknown technology that may or may not be otherworldly or 1000 years ahead of human technology is just roaming out planet like it's no one's business... What a time to be alive.

• Ah Monaco, my F1 (game) nemesis. Probably a boring race but the level of skill necessary for this track is in it self a spectacle.

Chances of Mazepin finishing?

• @phbz

Just checked Bet365:
    [Per $1 bet]

Safety Car? - Yes = 1.12, No = 5.50

First Driver to Retire - Mazepin = 4.00 (favourite)

To Be Classified - Mazepin, Yes = 1.83, No = 1.83

--

LMAO! Whether he classifies or not is a "pick em'".

I might bet $10 on Mazepin for No Classification.

• Well that was really really boring. Shame Leclerc couldn't race and Bottas is the unluckiest driver.

• I bet $28 on No Retirements to payout $532 and Bottas pit stop retirement screwed me. YET, I hedged with Mercedes first to retire so I made $2 lol.

But I was sooooo close. This was apparently the first ever Monaco GP without a yellow flag.

• Baku weekend, one of my favourite tracks to drive on the F1 game. Qualifying yesterday was excellent and I'm confident we're going to have a cool race today.

• I feel like nobody heeded Stroll’s warning with his tire blowing up after 27 laps. Insane finale today, I was screaming at the TV while Leclerc and Gasly duked it out. Good entertaining race. I also like playing Baku in F1 2020.

• Global Moderator

This race was really a rollercoaster. But those last 2 laps might been some of the most exciting racing we've had this year so far, I was bouncing up and down like a mad man!