Formula One

• My 2 cents on the race:

• Those Hard tires did Leclerc NO favours. I thought he was going to steal this win.
    • I think Hamilton was "at fault" if I had to pick a side, but it's a first lap and Max is a crazy fuck.

I read an article about the Stewards' guide document that teams are given:

""We didn't think the penalty was deserved," Mercedes' head trackside engineering Andrew Shovlin said. "If you look at the guide that the stewards have to determine who is at fault in terms of overtaking, Lewis was sufficiently alongside and we felt that Max should have given him racing room."

Okay... so there is a guide. What does the guide say?

"The document Shovlin refers to in the quote above that is used by the stewards as a guide to such incidents suggests that if a driver has the inside line and is significantly alongside his rival, as Hamilton was, then he is within his rights to attempt a move providing he can "make the corner cleanly".

Okay so Hamilton was within his rights to take the turn, but he has to do so cleanly... got it...

"In the stewards' ruling of the incident, which found Hamilton predominantly to blame, they referenced Hamilton's distance from the apex when the collision occurred as the reason the Mercedes driver was at fault [...]"

"[...] Although the document, seen by ESPN, is fairly basic and is intended as a guide for lower speed corners than Copse, the stewards could still argue that by missing the apex by the amount Hamilton did and colliding with Verstappen, he did not make the corner cleanly."

Okay so he was allowed to take the corner, but because it wasn't "clean" he was penalized...

Here is a photo I found of the point of contact too. In video form, it looks like contact happens way further into the corner, when in actuality, Max was turning before Hamilton really even came near the apex (see how far away from the curb they are):

0_1626710509315_Screen Shot 2021-07-19 at 12.00.58 PM.png

Either way, we are micro-analyzing something that happened in a fraction of a second. I think the 10 second penalty was enough and the onus is on the drivers to not do anything too risky. Like they say in boxing "protect yourself at all times".

Max is okay so that's what matters most. And the title fight is back ON!

• Kimi and his race engineer post-race (paraphrased):

Eng - "It's a shame with the accident with Perez. We could've maybe scored."

Kimi - "Maybe you should've made the car faster!"

LMAOOOOOOO

• Another great race. What a season! Ocon!

• What a fantastic race and result. They voted Fernando Alonso as driver of the day-but I'd give that honour to Bottas because without him we'd probably have another predictable Hamilton victory. This season is turning out to be the best since 2012 possibly, considering the exciting races and close championship battle.

• Vettel disqualified. 🙁

• Sweet fucking race. I predicted at the beginning of the year that Alonso would come in with a chip on his shoulder and act a bit like a spaz but I haven't seen a 10 lap defence like that in years. He was actually amazing today and has been all season. I was 100% w-r-o-n-g!

Idk why the Stroll hate has simmered down but he is absolute dog shit. That was a terrible attempt to avoid the pile up. Tbh, I think he wanted to be a hero and realized it was way too late.

• Dan Ticktum has been released from his position as Williams reserve driver after he made immature remarks about Nicholas Latifi-although Williams didn't state why he was released exactly:

https://www.motorsportmagazine.com/articles/single-seaters/f1/williams-says-reserve-driver-dan-ticktum-is-dropped-after-latifi-poo-jibe

• That was frustrating.

• On the plus side Spa 2021 proves we're living in Generation Wussy.

• @jdincinerator Not racing was the right call, specially in that track. But it's a shame, no Suzuka now no Spa.

I'm with Hamilton that they should give the money back to the people.

• @phbz I don't know about that I feel like there are many solutions that could have been adopted to allow the race to proceed-but maybe those options would've come to late.

Yes the people deserve their money back absolutely but I get this feeling that F1 will just run away with it.

• Thank you Kimi! What a blast you've been all these years. These decades! The sport will miss you, champ.
    https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/raikkonen/6658467/

• What an amazing career Kimi has had and he's one of the most memorable and funniest F1 drivers ever. My favourite Kimi moment was when he was told that he missed a presentation by Pele and Kimi replied "I was having a shit".

• I got a kick outta that Dutch Quali. The new circuit is pretty interesting to just watch people fly through it. Looks like Max was doing around 50% less braking than Lewis into that sketchy narrow banked Turn 3, and equal throttle out of the turn. The whole session I noticed Max was taking that line way differently and a lot faster than other and I think that's why he had such a massive gap on Mercedes until the final lap. That was a really good drive from both Max and Lewis. They seemed to be a cut above the rest today.

• After Silverstone I'm quite thrilled to see Hamilton and Verstappen on the front row together. I really like the high speed twisty corners of Zandvoort and they should make for some entertaining races.

• Happy to see Albon back!

• @phbz

I'm pretty convinced Williams is in good hands too. There seems to be a 3-4 year rule with team rebuilds. They've made a lot of progress in their 1st rebuild season.

• @dipset Yes, they made good progress although next year will be kind of a toss. Anyway, bare minimum is to outscore Latifi.

• Jebus weird physics going on the Ver Ham crash. It it wasn't for the halo I think Hamilton might be done for.

I don't think this will change much for Ricciardo, this is a very straight forward track and he'll probably keep struggling a bit with that car. Norris had some great moves this weekend and was truly a team player.

Bottas did a great race but as usual he sucks at managing tires.

(Edit: Max was given a penalty for the accident. I haven't seen it in detail, my opinion at the time was that it was just a racing incident with bad luck on how Max's car interacted with the bumps and Hamilton's rear tire, which cause that freakish incident.

I do think that Max this season has been consistently overtly aggressive (not just this season but more noticeable now) and his comment while in the car when he just about decapitated Hamilton was not cool at all, and does need a wrist slap.

But at first sight it does look excessive, I honestly think he was more careless in Silverstone than here, he was just his usual rude with bad luck in this occasion Honestly it looked like the physics engine of the universe was glitching.)

• What a superb race yet again. This season is easily the best from the Hybrid Era. Verstappen and Hamilton crashing was the best thing that could happen and a McLaren 1-2 finish is magical. First time since 2010 McLaren had a 1-2 finish and the first victory they've had since 2013.