Formula One

• Yeah, the rain turned the whole thing basically into lottery. Luckily Max gained a lot in all of that, P2. Only two points behind Lewis.
    And even Kimi was P8 in the end all of a sudden. :]

• https://www.cbc.ca/news/pandora-papers-offshore-tax-avoidance-1.6197303

Per CBC, Jacques Villeneuve named in the recently published Pandora Papers, among hundreds of other famous athletes, entertainers, and current and former world leaders to have filtered their money though foreign “tax-haven” countries and off shore businesses to shield his money and avoid tax obligations.

Allegedly he hid racing and endorsement income in foreign accounts and corporations since 1992.

Legalities of this is muddy but tax avoidance is a serious crime. Unclear what will come of the Pandora Papers considering so many people are named, but now that a lot of this has come to light, who knows, CRS might feel obliged to investigate.

• Wonderful to see Bottas back to his winning ways before he departs for Alpha Romeo. Bottas is the sixth different winner this season, haven't seen so many winners in a season for a long time. Also Max regaining the championship lead is promising, things just getting hotter and hotter in this championship. I recommend checking the video above, it's the F1 intro but all the drivers are maniacs.

• I feel like Turkey was anime filler for the big conclusion at the end of the season.

I really feel like Leclerc needs a break. Keeps having great races and puts himself in positions to podium but he can barely catch a break. I hope 2022 is his year.

• @dipset Leclerc almost won at Silverstone until Lewis returned from his penalty and Superman-blasted his way to victory.

• For whatever reason, I can never remember what the heck the Austen, TX and Mexico City circuits look like, who performs well at them. It's beyond heating up for the championship so this weekend is a big race and for the life of me, I can't recall anything from US or Mexico.

0_1634835732552_a0f25d04-f97b-4c11-8a4a-a4582783d9bc-image.png

Kinda looks like Suzuka to me. With both straight line and a lot of cornering, I assume it'll benefit Red Bull but who knows with this Mercedes upgrade.

• @dipset I'm with you there honestly it's hard to remember anything significant about Mexico or Austin. The former has only hosted 5 races I think and all I can recall about the latter is Raikonnen's win in 2018. I may need to brush up on them using the Formula One YouTube channel. I've raced both on F1 games and I think the layout of Mexico is quite cool, some fast sections and the grandstand towards the end reminds me of Hockenheim. Austin has some interesting elevation changes, a zig-zaggy opening stint and big long straight-but I prefer Indianapolis as the US GP-though it's best not to remember the 2005 debacle.

• I've started to regard Austin as one of my favourite circuits of the season after a decade there is now starting to close up on us. The first corner with that elevation change is already pretty iconic, as are the above mentioned zig-zags in the first third of the track. There's usually lots of going on there, it's a fast track from what I remember. Lots of cool spots.

• I think the track design is great but the asphalt is borderline unacceptable. There's sections as bumpy as a secondary road.

• That was great. Not a race full of epic moments but a tense race.

Alonso did made me laugh with his dive bomb. The fight between Maclaren and Ferrari is super interesting right now.
    After qualifying, with how faster was Verstappen and how smoother his car was navigating the track, I thought this was going to be an easy win for Red Bull. I think this was a really good drive from both. Hamilton appeared to have the worst car but did a great job putting those hard tires to work and Verstappen, once realized he didn't had the pace to match Lewis, kept cool and managed to save for the last laps exactly what he needed from the car.

One of the best races imo, no mistakes from the first two and both delivering a top class performance.

Btw, I love how much uncertainty the change on the pits brought. And also, great to know the track is getting a resurface.

• @phbz

That dive bomb was turn 1 in any Forza 7 lobby.

Good race, it was also extra nice that Dallas Cowboys had a bye week so I could watch the grand prix. The awesome part about of F1 is that I can watch the GP from 8-10am then watch NFL later at 1pm.

• I don't know a whole lot about construction, but doesn't this circuit look more like 365 days away from being completed as opposed to 31 days in which F1 will be racing here?

Youtube Video

The road isn't even paved yet. Roads can be dangerous and slippery for up to 4-5 years after being paved or repaved, yet, they are bragging about blind corners at 300km/h. We all know how production works. You cut corners and rush hard to hit the deadlines. I really hope this circuit gets completed and is safe.

Also, how is this a street circuit?

• @dipset Yeah that looks a long way from being ready but there's no lack of money over there.

• Great sprint race!

• Overall, pretty enjoyable GP Weekend from practices to qualifiers to races.

I really don't understand where the blazing fast straight line speed from Hamilton came from. He was absolute lightening to the point where idk what anybody could've done more than what transpired. Brazil stays one of my all time favourites in both F1 on TV in real life, and racing video games. Also, amazing atmosphere that translates well into TV.

• @dipset I've seen people talking about Hamilton changing engine in the remaining GPs taking the penalty and outpace everyone.

• Kind of a boring race but with the fight so lit even the boring ones are nerve wracking.

Just want to say that Bottas is the perfect combination of mediocre race craft and bad luck. Also, not a big fan of Redbull being a 4 car team.

Excellent to see Alonso having such a great season.

• @phbz I think the race had more drama than I expected. All those punctures and some of the overtakes and battles were cool. The race is much better than the track's design.

As for Alonso it's great to see him on the podium for the first time since 2014. I don't agree that Alonso's season has been great but it's been ok.