Formula One

• Ah Monaco, my F1 (game) nemesis. Probably a boring race but the level of skill necessary for this track is in it self a spectacle.

Chances of Mazepin finishing?

• @phbz

Just checked Bet365:
    [Per $1 bet]

Safety Car? - Yes = 1.12, No = 5.50

First Driver to Retire - Mazepin = 4.00 (favourite)

To Be Classified - Mazepin, Yes = 1.83, No = 1.83

--

LMAO! Whether he classifies or not is a "pick em'".

I might bet $10 on Mazepin for No Classification.

• Well that was really really boring. Shame Leclerc couldn't race and Bottas is the unluckiest driver.

• I bet $28 on No Retirements to payout $532 and Bottas pit stop retirement screwed me. YET, I hedged with Mercedes first to retire so I made $2 lol.

But I was sooooo close. This was apparently the first ever Monaco GP without a yellow flag.

• Baku weekend, one of my favourite tracks to drive on the F1 game. Qualifying yesterday was excellent and I'm confident we're going to have a cool race today.

• I feel like nobody heeded Stroll’s warning with his tire blowing up after 27 laps. Insane finale today, I was screaming at the TV while Leclerc and Gasly duked it out. Good entertaining race. I also like playing Baku in F1 2020.

• Global Moderator

This race was really a rollercoaster. But those last 2 laps might been some of the most exciting racing we've had this year so far, I was bouncing up and down like a mad man!

• This image has some magic. :)
    alt text

But I was actually rooting for Verstappen, so it was super painful to see him retire like that and immediately think that Hamilton would score some crazy points now. Luckily, however, the restart said "hold my beer". What an L-O-L moment! :D

The final top three were super cool. Great to see Perez up there, I really hope he'll start to finish more consistently on the podium now. And Vettel. I mean, he's just easier to cheer in a smaller team somehow. Excellent result. And of course whenever Hamilton screws up Gasly seems to be on the podium. :D A likable guy, well done.

Valtteri's weekend was devastating. I don't know what the hell happened. Honestly his career at Mercedes is looking really troublesome now, this could easily be his last year there.

On the other hand, the old-timer Kimi scored his first point of the season. Yey! :)

• @sentinel-beach

That photo of Max kicking the tire is priceless. You can just feel the anger. Nobody woke up that day expecting this moment to happen and I love when moments like this are perfectly captured; for better or for worse.

• This was one of the best races so far, probably the best, lots of good fights all across the field. Mercedes was dealt a bad hand this year and is clearly struggling, still things are fairly close but I think this will be Verstappen's year.

• I'm not particularly a Max fan per se but if this is the look of this season, then I'm all for him beating Hamilton. This sport needs some change.

The French GP was much better now than I anticipated. The 2019 (or '18?) race had left a bad taste to my mouth, I remember it being super boring.

• French GP is a dumpster fire normally but this race was a good time. And despite there not being much passing in the Hamilton, Bottas, Max war until the end, there was definitely tension throughout and nobody pulled too far ahead. I guess it had that feeling of suspense like when a game is in OT and you're scared for what might happen next.

Glad Max took it. Also evidence that Red Bull could've been a contender the past few years with actual teamwork had Gasly or Albon showed up.

• @dipset Max had one pole last year and 2 in 2019 I honestly don't think he had the car.

• @phbz

I'm speaking more to those scenarios where Mercedes pulls off 1-2 finishes despite qualifying, say, 2-3 or 3-4. Max was always up there and through good driving and team strategy they could've stolen more races with team work. I'd argue almost every one of his 2020 victories were races he stole from Mercedes so I think there would've been more Red Bull wins if he had backup and strategy options.

• @dipset Ah yeah, more wins probably but most probably nothing that would make him champion. I would argue that if this season regulation changes weren't kinda targeted against Mercedes (and Aston Martin by association) we would probably have another boring season.

• Have you guys seen this yet?

Autosport: FIA to slow down Formula 1 pitstops from Hungarian GP

TL;DR

FIA wants to slow down pit stops due to "safety concerns" because there is a degree of automation in some pit stop processes.

--

This is sooooo dumb and seems almost targeted at Red Bull in the one season in eons that they've had this degree of success. They also made the changes in regulation to aero rules in 2021 which was probably targeted at slowing down Mercedes, but in actuality it affected the high rake floors of Red Bull more.

I saw some banter about this online yesterday but haven't seen ESPN or the F1 official news talking about it. I just think these arbitrary changes in regulations are so dumb and obviously meant to slow down the winners. Citing safety is especially dumb considering I haven't seen anything unsafe happen from a quick pit stop since I started rewatching F1 in 2018. I think Kimi might've driven away without front tires once but that was human error, not automated processes.

• @dipset Regarding the aerodynamic changes for this season, regardless of what the article says (it's a June 2020 article) no doubt in practice both Aston Martin and Mercedes were much more affected. Mercedes still managed to make great progress from pre season to today but Aston was left in the gutter going from one of the fastest cars to being nowhere.

As for the pit stop changes. I imagine the teams (Mercedes?) made a complaint and after an investigation they concluded that some (Red Bull?) was not following the regulations? Or that something was fishy? Probably Red Bull being creative with the interpretation of the rules?

This is the kind of backstage fight that goes on F1. Not only teams being creative with regulations but also the competition trying to point out any unfair advantage, even if just marginally unfair. (Apparently it will make a difference of 0.2 to 0.3)

• @phbz

I just don't agree with these "targeted" technical directives in general. In this case, it's a "safety concern". I understand making rule changes for the next season but making arbitrary changes mid-season shouldn't be a thing. I hope nothing comes of this flexi-wing dispute, at least for the 2021 season.

I was reading up on some technical directives in the past and for some teams it would be like FIFA telling one team that they have to wear flip flops instead of cleats.

• @dipset To be honest I need WTF1 or Formula 1 YouTube channels to explain me in a video what went on. 😃

There's also a lot of politics involved. Whatever is that they're doing in the pit stops, they are ahead of everybody else by some margin, so they probably won't have much support from other teams.

• I just erased part of my post, after reading the RaceFans article I understand it better

https://www.racefans.net/2021/06/24/fia-to-force-f1-teams-to-slow-down-their-pit-stops/

It really seems to be based on a minor technicality.

"The new directive, TD22A, refers to article 12.8.4 of the technical regulations which imposes restrictions on teams’ pit equipment. It is understood to target the clause which states: “Any sensor systems may only act passively.”"

But I don't quite get if:

-Red Bull was jumping any steps, or being creative regarding the article 12.8.4 and if all that the FIA is doing is solidifying the intent of the rule. And in that case I understand both that Red Bull tried to exploit something for their own advantage and that Mercedes tries to dispute that. Which I'm kinda fine with.

-Or if the regulations were being strictly followed by Red Bull and the new directive changes the original intention of the rule to target Red Bull. Which it's unacceptable.

-Or is Red Bull just cheating? Which seems to me not to be the case at all.

Either way this is nowhere near 2019 with Ferrari mixing oil with fuel to gain an unfair advantage. Seems more like a blind spot in the regulations at worse and that's something that could wait until next season to be fixed. But going back to politics, it might be Mercedes saying "hey you guys kinda fucked us this year at least give us this" which isn't correct but is a very European way of doing things, two wrongs do make a right around here.