Formula One

• 0_1554931046462_RE.png

https://jalopnik.com/what-you-find-when-you-look-into-rich-energy-the-myste-1833303620

Okay... this was a really juicy read. It's long and thorough and kinda goes to show how stupid marketing and sponsorship's really are when you think about it. I don't work in business so I don't think of these things daily, but when I do, I think about how everybody, everything, and especially every brand tries to present themselves in such a particular and planned way. Especially when compared to the reality of being an average joe, a startup company, etc.

Just some food for thought and F1-related.

Another thought I had is how little I actually pay attention to the brands on the liveries. I never even thought about Rich Energy. I hadn't even noticed it until this article brought it up. The only standout liveries for me in my life is the Indycar that was green for KOOL cigarettes. That one stood out because I got in trouble for wearing a t-shirt in school back in like 2004. I wanna say Paul Tracy was the driver but I can't even remember. Then Ferrari in the 90s-2000s had Marlboro as a sponsor. That's all I can recall off the top of my head. Both happen to sell smokes... hmmmm..

• Nicely done from Bottas, that was a really tight qualification between him and Hamilton. Pole position on the 1000th GP. Kimi's super long streak to get into Q3 ended finally, I believe it was from Hungary 2016 till now. 53 or 55 qualifications, something like that. But sure, it was inevitable now on Alfa. And that final try for Red Bull and Haas was embarassing, running out of time simply like that. Max especially was really pissed and blamed others because of what happened during the last few corners, but in the end this was really the fault of their own people behind the screens. Just give the drivers like 10 secs more, that's all it would've taken.

• Pretty uneventful race after Bahrain, not a lot to remember for the 1000th GP. Bottas unfortunaly lost his place right away and that was it, the Mercedes two controlled the race in that order entirely after that. Total dominance, as they've already now gained almost twice the points compared to Ferrari after only three races. And speaking of Ferrari, the team politics rose their head and caused eventually Leclerc to drop even behind Verstappen. This'll be a curious scenario to follow this season, seeing if they'll really push Vettel and how will Leclerc respond.

Kimi rose a few good positions and got P9 with a few points. Albon made an even bigger impact by gaining ten spots and getting the Driver of the Day title, well deserved. And it was cool to see how Red Bull played their cards right with Gasly and managed to get him that one extra point in the final laps. There was so much space behind him that there was nothing to lose at that point. Ricciardo got his first points in the yellow jumpsuit.

• Global Moderator

I would had hoped that the 1000th race would be one to remember, especially after all the build up. In reality it kinda ended up being a "meh" race. Ferrari really really needs to look over their strategies and allow for Leclerc to race a bit more. I know its early days, but really have a hard time to see how they will catch up for Mercedes this season (again)

• I went to bed then got up again for this at 2:00am. I think I was so tired that I couldn’t retain anything except for how much smog is in Shanghai. It’s quit sad to say the least.

• So, everything back to normal.

• Lando makes a meme out of himself. :]
    https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=1070653226454139

• Global Moderator

@sentinel-beach Hahaha that is absolutely brilliant!

• A manhole cover came loose in Baku and damaged Russell's Williams. But fear not, that problem seems to have been taken care of now.

• Global Moderator

Hahaha yeah that was one of the more bizzare reasons for breakdowns on a racetrack. I guess its a citycourse but still!

• Well that was a long-ass session. At least it had a fortunate ending with Bottas on the pole. I'm kinda horrified about the amount of possible crashes and debris tomorrow in the actual race. That one point is so freaking narrow.

• I have boxing class booked for right after the race tomorrow but if there are any crashes like today, I gotta bail.

Crazy when happened on that turn. The whole course is pretty jank.

• What an intense ending between Bottas and Hamilton, I was on the edge of my seat. Great job from Valtteri, now the teammates are tied both with two victories and two P2s. Also Mercedes will win this year's constructors' championship by the summer break if they keep this pace up.

Kimi got a point in the end, cool. Gasly's well-driven P6 vanished in the air with technical problems, tough luck, considering he did great job coming from the last place. Ricciardo's moment with Kvyat was pretty unbeliavable: both cars stationary like that, and then he goes into reverse and crashes into the Russian. What. An awful GP for Renault and Haas, while Racing Point and McLaren fared really well this time.

• Is Mercedes trolling Ferrari?

• Third pole in the row for Bottas, niiiiice. And in which way, I mean the difference was this time pretty crushing. Fingers crossed the race'll go as well.

• Global Moderator

Yeah, really happy that Bottas got his third pole! well done for the Finn. I hope the can keep it up and we will have a real Bottas VS Hamilton fight this year, now when Ferrari seem to fall behind.

• Well shiiiit, that was a very boring race, and the start went to hell as well for Bottas. He talked about an issue there, remains to be seen. Dieter Zetsche had his final run on team Mercedes apparently here and now, I was wondering why he dared to face the champagne himself this time suddenly.

• Global Moderator

Yeah wasnt the most eventful race. Shame for Bottas that the start got botched. Would of been nice to see him in the lead.

• I thought it was more entertaining than Baku tbh.

It got exciting for me near the end when the safety car came out because I was expecting Vettel to stay within 1 sec of Verstappen and use DRS but it never happened. I don't know how he got 1.5s behind like that.

Also... couldn't they have just used a leaf blower to move the gravel and rocks like 3 laps faster....? We used a leaf blower for that kinda stuff all the time when I worked on a golf course. Waaaaaaaay faster than sweeping (and more powerful).

• Niki Lauda has died, what a legend in the sport. He was 70 years old. The things that man had to endure after the '76 accident, dear Lord. One tough S.O.B., if you pardon my French. Hats off.