Getting into horror games

• @suplextrain For some reason i always feel nauseous when i'm play the Dead Rising games. Bought the first game a while back, 2 hours in and i had to stop. Same thing happened with the second game.
    Dying Light is pretty cool, played it at my friend's house. The nighttime segments in particular put me on edge, it's just a bit too much for me.

• As a huge horror fan, i struggle to suggest a starting place on PS4 only. Amnesia might have worked, if not for your preferences.

My number one recommendation would be REmake, followed then by TEW2. I strongly suggest you avoid RE4, 5 or 6 though, as I feel they hurt your appreciation for the genre

• Global Moderator

Dead Space 1 & 2 are good calls. I played through both over the last 2 weeks and was actually a little surprised that they were hailed as horror games. I found them both to be more on the Resident Evil 4 side of things. You'll get the odd scare for sure but I don't think it's too bad.

• @sheria I actually already have Amnesia, got it from PS plus a while back. I don't think i'm ready yet for that game though.
    Hmm i understand not recommending RE 5 and 6, but why not 4?

• I'd recommend The Evil Within 1 for an intro to horror because it is more "intense" because of the gameplay as opposed to being straight up scary.

Other games that have horror and scary elements but aren't close to full blown horror games that may be able to ease you in would be:

• Resistance 2
    • Half Life 2
    • Dark Souls 1 (one level is complete darkness, some enemies jump you out of nowhere, and some levels are plain creepy)
    • Bloodborne

• @dipset Thanks for the recommendations!
    I would love to play the Resistance games (finished the third game, it's so underrated), but i don't have a PS3 anymore.

• So i have decided to get REmake first, saving TEW2 and RE4 for later. I'll definitely post my thoughts later after i played it for a bit. Maybe i'll stream it too, cos' why not lol. Thanks everyone for the help!
    Also planning to try out Little Nightmares and Amnesia, don't know when though.

• FEAR
    STALKER
    System Shock 2
    Resident evil 7

FEAR is by far best horror game ever imo. however for this gen you cant go wrong with RE7.

• @black-cell Unfortunately i already spoiled RE7 since i watched Huber's playthrough lol, so i'm skipping it for now at least.

• @black-cell I'd second F.E.A.R., it's much more action-oriented with only a very few jump-scares. I'd argue it's not really a horror game specifically, but its horror elements make it a good way to ease your way into the genre. In a similar vein I'd maybe put the Bioshock games; again those have horror elements and can be tense, but aren't really all that scary.

Evil Within 1 & 2 are definitely good choices for a first "proper" horror game; enemies are tough but you can defeat them if you have the resources, and you can usually run if you have to. Both games have some (intentionally) hideous bosses, but aren't too bad on jump scares, they rely more on shifting the environment around you which I'd say is more unsettling than out and out scary; they're survival horror games heavy on the survival element.

My favourite horror game series is Silent Hill, but it's been a long time since I played the first few games (haven't played the remaster(s) yet), my favourites being the ones that don't really let you arm up, it's all about the atmosphere and dread, and the way they transition from mostly safe in the day time to horror-fest at night mean they're not too jump-scary from what I remember. I'll let someone with more recent experience comment on which might be a good starting point (are the remasters any good?)

• Just played about 40 minutes of REmake (playing Jill on normal), holy hell i'm so spooked. It's one thing to see the mansion from playthroughs and such, but walking around in it and actually interacting with objects in the environment really makes the whole place much more scary. It gives off this feeling as if it's completely apathetic of my well-being. Probably just my paranoia setting in though.
    The game's visuals are still fantastic, and the way it looks really helps the atmosphere. It feels surreal and not at the same time. The fixed camera angles are great so far, it doesn't really bother me yet and makes the game feel cinematic. It feels good to say that i'm really looking forward to continue playing this game.

@Haravikk @Black-Cell Putting FEAR on my list, thanks!

• @bam541

If you can handle REmake through to the end, then you'll be able to handle anything. There are some serious scares when certain enemy types appear and certain enemies turn into the crimson heads. If you can handle this, you'll be able to get into the really scary stuff like Alien Isolation.

I also recommend the F.E.A.R. series, although the sequel isn't that great. I recommended Resistance 2 as the scariest game, but I'd say it's probably the weak link in the series. Resistance FoM has some creepy levels to ease you into horror as well.

• YO
    I just remembered Until Dawn is a thing.
    Think an insanely high budget Telltale/David Cage style game about every horror trope imaginable. Pretty star studded cast too, with Hayden Panettiere and Rami Malek.

• They're smaller indie titles, but I love the vibes of Home and Lone Survivor. I've finished Home (although I'd love to replay it due to its short length and different endings) and that game is much more about atmosphere than it is true horror. Lone Survivor I haven't finished but that is a little more in the horror spectrum of things and has weapons and such from what I can remember. Both are side-scrollers that use pixel art, so they aren't too bad to handle.

• @dipset said in Getting into horror games:

@bam541

If you can handle REmake through to the end, then you'll be able to handle anything. There are some serious scares when certain enemy types appear and certain enemies turn into the crimson heads. If you can handle this, you'll be able to get into the really scary stuff like Alien Isolation.

I also recommend the F.E.A.R. series, although the sequel isn't that great. I recommended Resistance 2 as the scariest game, but I'd say it's probably the weak link in the series. Resistance FoM has some creepy levels to ease you into horror as well.

FEAR series as whole is awful. i mean First FEAR was masterpiece and one of the best FPS of all time.

second game was dumbed down (that was norm last generation) and third one was COD in slo mo.

• @black-cell

Honest to goodness had no idea there ever was a FEAR 3. I didn't mind FEAR 2 though, it was fun, just very simple.

• @dipset It was a coop shooter where you play as Point Man and Fettel's ghost trying to prevent Alma from bringing the apocalypse.
    Just as terrible as it sounds.

• @el-shmiablo

Christ it does sound horrible. I absolutely despise(d) the trend of co-op bullshit last gen. At least this generation it has its own pocket in the mainstream with games like Destiny which I can ignore, but so much crap back then had co-op in mind and it was NOT GOOD.

Army of Two is one of the biggest pieces of crap I've ever played if not the biggest. Resistance 2 scrapped split screen for a co-op mode which people loved, but I hated the bullet sponge enemies. Kane & Lynch was half decent with a friend, but the friendly AI was so bad that you needed to play with somebody. Same goes for Resident Evil 5 - basically unplayable without a friend. I think the only one I liked was Rainbow 6 Vegas 1 & 2.

Oh man I'm glad we're over that.

• @dipset To be honest RE5 is probably my favorite RE. Then again the only times I ever played singleplayer was after I had already destroyed it in in coop with friends and had several maxed weapons.

I'm a big floppy bitch for coop games. Love em to death. That and slow motion.

• @el-shmiablo

I love couch co-op too. Broforce is some of the most fun I've had playing games in years. I meant these games with a terrible approach to design, where the whole approach was basically connecting with somebody on Xbox Live. Shouts out to 50 Cent: Blood on the Sand