Getting into horror games

• @bam541

If you can handle REmake through to the end, then you'll be able to handle anything. There are some serious scares when certain enemy types appear and certain enemies turn into the crimson heads. If you can handle this, you'll be able to get into the really scary stuff like Alien Isolation.

I also recommend the F.E.A.R. series, although the sequel isn't that great. I recommended Resistance 2 as the scariest game, but I'd say it's probably the weak link in the series. Resistance FoM has some creepy levels to ease you into horror as well.

• YO
    I just remembered Until Dawn is a thing.
    Think an insanely high budget Telltale/David Cage style game about every horror trope imaginable. Pretty star studded cast too, with Hayden Panettiere and Rami Malek.

• They're smaller indie titles, but I love the vibes of Home and Lone Survivor. I've finished Home (although I'd love to replay it due to its short length and different endings) and that game is much more about atmosphere than it is true horror. Lone Survivor I haven't finished but that is a little more in the horror spectrum of things and has weapons and such from what I can remember. Both are side-scrollers that use pixel art, so they aren't too bad to handle.

• @dipset said in Getting into horror games:

@bam541

If you can handle REmake through to the end, then you'll be able to handle anything. There are some serious scares when certain enemy types appear and certain enemies turn into the crimson heads. If you can handle this, you'll be able to get into the really scary stuff like Alien Isolation.

I also recommend the F.E.A.R. series, although the sequel isn't that great. I recommended Resistance 2 as the scariest game, but I'd say it's probably the weak link in the series. Resistance FoM has some creepy levels to ease you into horror as well.

FEAR series as whole is awful. i mean First FEAR was masterpiece and one of the best FPS of all time.

second game was dumbed down (that was norm last generation) and third one was COD in slo mo.

• @black-cell

Honest to goodness had no idea there ever was a FEAR 3. I didn't mind FEAR 2 though, it was fun, just very simple.

• @dipset It was a coop shooter where you play as Point Man and Fettel's ghost trying to prevent Alma from bringing the apocalypse.
    Just as terrible as it sounds.

• @el-shmiablo

Christ it does sound horrible. I absolutely despise(d) the trend of co-op bullshit last gen. At least this generation it has its own pocket in the mainstream with games like Destiny which I can ignore, but so much crap back then had co-op in mind and it was NOT GOOD.

Army of Two is one of the biggest pieces of crap I've ever played if not the biggest. Resistance 2 scrapped split screen for a co-op mode which people loved, but I hated the bullet sponge enemies. Kane & Lynch was half decent with a friend, but the friendly AI was so bad that you needed to play with somebody. Same goes for Resident Evil 5 - basically unplayable without a friend. I think the only one I liked was Rainbow 6 Vegas 1 & 2.

Oh man I'm glad we're over that.

• @dipset To be honest RE5 is probably my favorite RE. Then again the only times I ever played singleplayer was after I had already destroyed it in in coop with friends and had several maxed weapons.

I'm a big floppy bitch for coop games. Love em to death. That and slow motion.

• @el-shmiablo

I love couch co-op too. Broforce is some of the most fun I've had playing games in years. I meant these games with a terrible approach to design, where the whole approach was basically connecting with somebody on Xbox Live. Shouts out to 50 Cent: Blood on the Sand

• @sabotagethetruth Pixel art horror freaks me out, i have no idea what the developers can and can't do with that style and that really gets to me.

@El-Shmiablo Got it from PS plus already, saving it for later though

@DIPSET Woo can't wait till i encounter those enemies...