Overrated Classic games.

• hello

So my friends we all talk about overrated games of todays. but rarely about old overrated games. here in this thread we talk about games atleast 15 year olds. that are overrated.

so what are most overrated classic games you have played? there were lot of early 3d games on console that were very overrated and not hold up for todays standard unlike old PC games still hold up imo but here we talk about games that were overrated back than too. and people like because of nostalgia.

here mine.

Goldeneye: My number 1 overrated classic game. that game released in 1997, at the time amazing FPS like Quake 2 and year later Half life were also released and this game suck compare to them and only got praised because it was first ever console exclusive FPS game.

Call of Duty 1: I like this game but it was average at best. 7/10. many PC gamers overrated it because it was PC exclusive COD but game in general was scripted and linear as any other COD game in series. it was also copy paste of MOH allied assult with ironsight and without the charm of allied assault.

GTA3: sure it was first GTA game that gone 3d but game in general was not very good. not in a terms of driving, shooting etc. it was kinda boring. Mafia 1 also released at those time and it was better in every single way.

NOLF: This game was basically goldeneye/perfect dark for PC. it was just too comicy and cartoonish. the shooting, AI, stealth was not even done good for that time it released too. many FPS games were far better. game was incredibly overrated but luckily monolith hit the nail with FEAR. become one of the greatest game of all time.

Halo CE: I played it on PC that released after xbox version. the game release during golden era of FPS genre and this game was very mediocre to average. level design were copy and paste corridors, shooting was not fun and overall game was subpar compare to PC FPS of that time.

Resident Evil 4: It was boring medicore third person action game where you cant shoot while walking, save president daughter everytime. the game was no fun to play in every way. controls are like tank controls. and yes i also played the HD remaster on PC and still didnot fix the issue. overrated game.

there are lots i can think of but these come to my mind.

so what old games you think were overrated and they are praised because nostalgia?

discuss

• another outstanding thread blackcell

• @david-berishaj I thought this was a sarcastic remark, but you had actually upvoted his post. Well, you can all read this one with a sarcastic tone: "Another outstanding thread Black-Cell."

I really feel like we've seen this same sort of list about six times here already. Always bashing at the same games, always praising his same FPS/RPG classics. Get's old really fast. Has already gotten a long time ago.

• Max Payne
    Mafia
    Escape from Butcher Bay
    Splintet Cell CT
    FEAR
    DOOM
    System Shock 2
    Half Life 2
    STALKER
    Deus Ex

Why are these games bad? Hell if I know. But you can be sure it is for incredibly base reasons. Ironically, most of muh favourite games are absolutely fucking amazing for the exact same reasons these ones are bad.
    Thank you for another superb and quality thinkpiece, Black Cell. These forums are better for having you.

• @sentinel-beach You took the words right out of my mouth. Do we really need another thread like this?

• @sentinel-beach said in Overrated Classic games.:

@david-berishaj I thought this was a sarcastic remark, but you had actually upvoted his post. Well, you can all read this one with a sarcastic tone: "Another outstanding thread Black-Cell."

I really feel like we've seen this same sort of list about six times here already. Always bashing at the same games, always praising his same FPS/RPG classics. Get's old really fast. Has already gotten a long time ago.

my friend, i have made a thread about overrated games of today but i cant remember if i made a thread about games that are overrated 15 years ago.

• alt text

• Oh look another thread by black cell where he fails to fully explain or articulate anything beyond "me is thinks dum, me no like, ME NO LIKE"

• Global Moderator

Okey okey, tone it down guys.

I can kinda see what OP means with some of them being "overrated", But you also gotta remember... they are old, they suffer from the same problem as other old games... they are old, we have come from a long way. I think that either you have to take them for what they are, accept that we have evolved since then and still enjoy them... or... this might seem a little crazy, but you can also Not play them! :O

Im going to leave this thread open for now, But I want to see more of a discussion, even if it is a little too negative for my taste we can have a civil discussion on why we now look back at these games and why they are bad.. or as I would like to put it "they were deemed great back then because of..." However if things stay negative I will lock it and we can move on to more happy things.

• Lotias.
    Please.
    You know better than this.

• @lotias The issue isn't the topic itself, it could be a valid discussion to have.

The problem is that BlackCell creates a very similar topic every couple months and always uses it as a platform to trash the same games and series over and over, without ever offering any constructive criticism beyond "It's boring/mediocre/not fun". There's no discussion to be had in this context.

Are we "Love & Respect" or "Hate & Contempt"?

Edit: Not asking to lock the thread, I can of course just ignore it if I don't like it.

• @axel I'm thinking more along the lines of "Dumb and Dumber".

But yeah, this thread serves no purpose. It is yet another bi-weekly Black Cell proxy hate thread where he can pretend people are impressed by his babby's first 4chan approved list taste in games.

Using his exact algorithm for judging games I will now critique Half-Life:

Half-Life is bad game that was released in golden age of shooters that people think is good but is not. The shooting is bad and too many cutscenes. Doom 2016 is better and best game of all time.

Like, what are we honestly supposed to do here?

• Global Moderator

@axel Yeah Thats why I tried to have it stay more positive with my post. I see what you mean with the OP and thank you for pointing this out. I will keep this in mind for the future!

Im still keeping an eye on the post and see how it develops.

• Super Metroid controls are awful, Samus is both floaty and a tank. Just not fun to do platforming with her. I've tried 3 different times and can never force myself to play more than an hour

• @axel I'd love to see a bizarro Easy Allies, perhaps in an Easy Update, trying to spread Hate & Contempt. Then the demons from Frame Trap realize they are being out-"evil"ed and decide to bring the Allies back to the world of Love & Respect. Ian, if you're reading this, steal my idea. Do it.

But if I had to actually, truthfully answer the point of this post, my answer will forever be Ocarina of Time.

• @sabotagethetruth Not the mention their bizarro name, Hard Axis, just sounds so cool.

• @black-cell said in Overrated Classic games.:

hello

So my friends we all talk about overrated games of todays. but rarely about old overrated games. here in this thread we talk about games atleast 15 year olds. that are overrated.

so what are most overrated classic games you have played? there were lot of early 3d games on console that were very overrated and not hold up for todays standard unlike old PC games still hold up imo but here we talk about games that were overrated back than too. and people like because of nostalgia.

here mine.

Goldeneye: My number 1 overrated classic game. that game released in 1997, at the time amazing FPS like Quake 2 and year later Half life were also released and this game suck compare to them and only got praised because it was first ever console exclusive FPS game.

Call of Duty 1: I like this game but it was average at best. 7/10. many PC gamers overrated it because it was PC exclusive COD but game in general was scripted and linear as any other COD game in series. it was also copy paste of MOH allied assult with ironsight and without the charm of allied assault.

GTA3: sure it was first GTA game that gone 3d but game in general was not very good. not in a terms of driving, shooting etc. it was kinda boring. Mafia 1 also released at those time and it was better in every single way.

NOLF: This game was basically goldeneye/perfect dark for PC. it was just too comicy and cartoonish. the shooting, AI, stealth was not even done good for that time it released too. many FPS games were far better. game was incredibly overrated but luckily monolith hit the nail with FEAR. become one of the greatest game of all time.

Halo CE: I played it on PC that released after xbox version. the game release during golden era of FPS genre and this game was very mediocre to average. level design were copy and paste corridors, shooting was not fun and overall game was subpar compare to PC FPS of that time.

Resident Evil 4: It was boring medicore third person action game where you cant shoot while walking, save president daughter everytime. the game was no fun to play in every way. controls are like tank controls. and yes i also played the HD remaster on PC and still didnot fix the issue. overrated game.

there are lots i can think of but these come to my mind.

so what old games you think were overrated and they are praised because nostalgia?

discuss

I must say, I disagree with quite a bit of that. With regards to Goldeneye, I was predominantly a PC gamer throughout the 90's and lapped up a lot of the FPS' that were released that decade, Goldeneye still impressed me a lot though. I give most credit to the way it structured its single player. Where I was mostly used to running through mazes or corridors, looking for keys and basically blasting everything in sight, here was a game that gave the player a lot of unique mission objectives and different ways to tackle them, I also loved the idea of adding new objectives and encouraging further exploration of the memorable maps, every time you upped the difficulty setting.

CoD1 is what it is, I've never really heard anyone over selling how good it is, so I'm not really sure why it's here and most I believe will agree that 2 is better anyway. CoD4 though? sure.

GTA3 is only really ever referenced for what it accomplished (big deal at the time in my opinion), in fact I seem to remember a fair few magazine reviews before its release giving it a "fairly good" write up only, and it never was actually rated that highly. Word of mouth pushed that game more, but most would end up agreeing that Vice City and San Andreas improved on it.

I can't help but feel NOLF is only on the list because I mentioned it recently. You don't like it? fair enough, but overrated? piss off lol. It's always been a rather low key, under the radar game, and it's general ratings aren't mind-blowing either.

I agree with the last two. Unlike Goldeneye, Halo had nothing unique going for it really. and while it's far from bad, it felt extremely forgettable and bland to me at the time. RE4 is a game I really like, but it features far too often in best games of all time lists and there's nothing I see in it that really justifies that. RE5 never gets a mention, and to be fair, it's not really doing anything worse than 4. So yeah, RE4 is the game most deserving of being called overrated from your list.

• @sheria

I can't help but feel NOLF is only on the list because I mentioned it recently. You don't like it? fair enough, but overrated? piss off lol. It's always been a rather low key, under the radar game, and it's general ratings aren't mind-blowing either.

my friend. there was free version revived by a fan (and a legit version because its not avaliable on steam or anywheare) and i played it recently. i found it very dull,

AI is brain dead, shooting suck, level design is not so good. stealth is broken.

its just after NOLF monolith create FEAR that is one of the best game ever made. a masterpiece. so NOLF imo is worst monolith game.

i find it overrated in a sense that many people find it classic or one of the best PC game when theres much better FPS avaliable at that time.

• But I get in trouble for giving a shitty game a mocking name.

• @musou-tensei Yeah that was bullshit tbh.

Also, my favourite video explaining why Goldeneye is a MASTAPEACE

Looks like your connection to Easy Allies Forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.