EZA curates April games: What are you anticipating? What's worth checking out?

• A thread for sharing new games coming out in April... what are you personal picks/interests of the month?

Did you discover some small game that not everyone knows about?
    Share that and let us know what it is about!

Already know a thing or two that interests you?
    Make a list of your interests and/or possibles!

Don't know what's so great about an upcoming game you keep hearing about?
    Ask here!

Don't follow gaming news that closely and just want to passively see what BigGames™ people care about?
    This is the place!

~

Going into more detail:

The basic idea is to list new games that you are interested in, as well as games you are potentially curious about or want to give wider attention to. You can briefly describe them or ask other people to help fill you in. The hope is that regular threads like these can act as a collective filter/discovery mechanism to help people decide what is worth checking out.

"New games" means any new title that is being released or ported this month in any capacity (not "backlogs/what you are playing this month"). The angle here is sharing your anticipation and promoting game discovery (as opposed to sharing comments about a first playthrough in progress - that belongs elsewhere).

• If you want a handy list of the 'consensus' top upcoming games of the month, here's one video list and one text list. Feel free to post other lists like these that you find useful.
    • Final request: If you are the first person to mention a game please provide (at minimum) a short sentence description. (If it is a very big AAA release though, then don't worry about it.) This is a good convention that makes the thread more useful as a discovery mechanism, and especially helps out anyone who doesn't follow the news as closely as you.

• I will be feeding both Yakuza 6 and God of War to my PS4 this month.

I played through the first 4 chapters of "the final tale of Kazuma Kiryu" when they accidentally released the whole game a while ago. and I liked what I played a lot. I've had it preordered since last August though, so I'd be getting it anyways. Very happy to support Western releases of one of my favorite franchises.

God of War I'm getting because of the whispers I'm hearing that it's good. I have no history with the franchise, and this seems like maybe a good place to jump in.

• There's quite a number of games that really caught my eye this month. I wouldn't say I'm hotly anticipating one title above the rest though, I'm just "broadly curious" about how the following games turn out:

God of War - the AAA heavyweight of the month. I'm not a GoW guy but the bold new direction looks good. Despite all the coverage this game gets, I feel we still didn't know the half of it so I am very interested in seeing the veil fully unlifted after its release.

BattleTech
    BattleTech is a tactical mech strategy game by Harebrained Schemes (the developers of the Shadowrun Return series of games), scheduled to release late this month. The gameplay is entirely turn based, and in each mission you pick 4 different mechs which can have wildly different capabilities and combat characteristics. Part the strategy also involves the customization: choosing different parts for each mech and upgrading your pilots with a skill tree. Harebrained Schemes did a great job with Shadowrun, which is a big reason why I'm interested in this one despite not having any prior attachment to the BattleTech IP.

Sinner: Sacrifice for Redemption
    A Hong Kong Souls-like, made by ex-employees of Blizzard, Ubisoft and Konami. The distinguishing theme is that each boss you defeat forces you to "sacrifice" part of yourself, like a piece of equipment or some of your stats. Also, even though it is going for a more serious fantasy style, something about the bouncy character animations and proportions remind me of Maximo (maybe that's just me though!)

Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana is also coming to PC this month. It is a party-based action JRPG by Falcom. For those unaware, the Ys series is a very long running action RPG series known for fast action and rocking music. I must confess I haven't been keeping up with the series the past few entries, but I'm thinking about jumping back in with this one.

Frostpunk
    Think of Sim City or a city ruler type game, but in frozen world, where people are using steam-powered technology to stay alive in the bitter climate. Part of the game's theme, besides being "Ice Age Steampunk", is that as a ruler you push your morality to the limit in order to maintain productivity/survival. Another interesting thing is that apparently at some point exploration beyond your city is also an element of the game.

• I'm literally shaking daily to play God of War and Yakuza 6. I honestly don't think I will be able to get both because I want to sink my teeth into both, but these are the heavyhitters of April for myself and really - especially for GoW - the entire gaming world.

I remember I wasn't into God of War II when it released but the buzz and GOTY awards and the general impact this game had made it impossible for me to ignore. Since then I've fallen in love with the series and I think Santa Monica Studio leaves an incredible mark on the world when they put their seal on their games. They are top-tier studio in so many regards. I can only imagine how difficult it would be to get a job at a place like that.

• Probably just God of War for me.. my backlog is getting backed up with long games so I'm trying not to add too many more

• Same as most of you, only God of War and Yakuza 6 for me. And I might only pick up one of the two at launch anyway, can't play both at the same time. So the next two weeks will be backlog weeks + Far Cry 5.

I'll throw in Battle Chasers: Nightwar which has a very solid chance of releasing on Switch this month. Can't wait for that one!

• I'd love to say Yakuza 6 because it looks amazing, but I need to finish 0 first.

God of War is an interesting one though. I have never liked that series, despite great boss battlea, I hated Kratos. So it's saying something that I am excited for this new one. We were going to be getting it because the BF adores Norse mythology, but it looks great. The single cut camera decision looks to be pretty amazing too.

• @inustar

Don't rush through Yakuza 0 just to play Yakuza 6 if you ever get that itch. It isn't going anywhere and each chapter of 0 feels so much better when you really take it all in at your own pace as things come along.

• @faaip said in EZA curates April games: What are you anticipating? What's worth checking out?:

Probably just God of War for me.. my backlog is getting backed up with long games so I'm trying not to add too many more

I will second that, I'm still playing Ni No Kuni 2 and i have Far Cry 5 but didn't even start the game.

• Pillars of Eternity 2 was supposed to be released today, but it got pushed back to May 18th. Bummer.

• I will be chipping away at my backlog for a while. Buying new games is out of the picture thanks to babby.
    If I could, I would play God of War hard as a motherfucker.

• Global Moderator

Really looking forward to God of War this month! Hope its just as good as Im hoping for

• New game wise all I'm getting are Gal * Gun 2 and Yakuza 6 for PS4, I might get weak if I see Far Cry 5 for PS4 for like 50 or less and Kirby for Switch for 40 or less.

• God of War, and Yakuza 6 so far, maybe if something pops up on sale I might grab something else

• @el-shmiablo
    What if someone say gifts you a code for Dad of War?

• @chocobop This is great, thanks! You've definitely piqued my curiosity with Frostpunk, I had not heard about that at all.

• @el-shmiablo Same situation for me. Still have P5, Yakuza 0, SoTC, Nier Automata and Monster Hunter looming over me (that's just the big stuff, not to mention REmake etc), but i'll skip straight to God of War no matter what, i'm in the deep end of hype for that game.