God of War (PS4)

• The new behavior and attack patterns for NG+ is so cool, i really want to try it out just to see how much fun the combat would be.

• @bam541

I can't imagine what its like having the Head of Sony Worldwide come into your studio to play a core title of their platform, then leaves silently. That alone is enough, but then knowing you're working on a legacy project with fan expectations through the ceiling. On top of that there were likely score bonuses for high review scores.

Probably many many emotions that day. Lo and behold, it is Sony's fastest selling game and the highest reviewed game of the year. Still can't believe God of War pulled through like that. I wasn't as hot on the game as the rest of the world, but its a big story. I want to see a making of doc kinda like The Last of Us had.

• @dipset Yeah, i wouldn't be surprised if that is the motivating factor the team needed in order to make the game truly as good as it is today.

• Lots of random LOL moments, from Santa Monica themselves.

God of War – Midgard Mishaps | PS4
    Youtube Video

• Wow, this turned out to be actually a two-hour documentary. Should be really cool, I reckon.

"Raising Kratos documents the five year, herculean effort to reinvent one of the greatest stories in gaming, God of War. Facing an unknown future, Santa Monica Studio took a massive risk, fundamentally changing their beloved franchise and re-establishing their rightful place in video game history."

God of War | Raising Kratos | "Making Of" Documentary
    Youtube Video

• Just now finished this & I am a WRECK. The joys and highs beautifully and hauntingly paired with so much emotion. This shows just how hard and brutal it is to make a masterpiece.

If you haven't watched this, do so. I guarantee it'll help you in some way.

Also, I absolutely loved the cameos. A blink-and-you-miss it moment with Guerrilla head Herman Hulst and there was SO MUCH of EZA (relatively speaking) and of IGN as well. Huber ESPECIALLY really showed out.

That's the best two hours I've spent in forever.

Sony Santa Monica is a special group.

• 2 hours!? Gotta get some popcorn ready soon, lol.

Also, Sony's doing a good job banking on the GoW momentum, I'm still feeling the hype despite the game releasing a year ago and the amount of great games released in that span of time. Can't think of anything in Sony's library of franchises that gets this kind of love (maybe TLOU). People will blow up when the next GoW shows up.

• I really love and respect these kind of "making of" documentaries and peeks behind the curtain from the game industry (Uncharted ones come to mind) and this was no exception. What an effort from a multitude of people, painful months during those years. But what a pay-off as well, then! Both in the form of the game itself but also via all the reactions, reviews and admiration towards what was created. And it was great seeing Judge's arc with the whole project.

• God damn 2 hours? Figured it was gonna be smaller then that or in pieces

• Just finished watching the documentary, that was truly a rollercoaster of emotions for everyone involved. Man, game devs have hard jobs. Seeing excitement, then doubt, then fear, then hope, and ending it all with the equivalent of a long and tasteful sigh. I'm really glad that the game ended up as it is. I kinda want to replay it, I feel like I will come out with different feelings and thoughts if I finish it again after watching this.

Seeing the devs react to Huber's magnificent ending to his review script and review score feels jolly, that's like the same response I had back then, watching his review for the first time. Seeing them at The Game Awards receiving their GOTY, it's feels eye opening now, since now I know what it took to get there.

Also, this reminds me that the Allies' got a bunch of GoW T-shirts as a gift once (they opened it at a group stream, the 2017 VR extravaganza if I'm not mistaken). Seeing the Allies' featured relatively prominently here, I guess the Santa Monica guys were fond of 'em or something.

• This game stinks. I can't think of a game I'm at a bigger disagreement with the community with. It's boring. Depressing lack of music, a downgraded camera, uninteresting combat with disappointingly tame violence and monotonous puzzles make this the only one of the four games I never finished.

• @ezekiel said in God of War (PS4):

This game stinks. I can't think of a game I'm at a bigger disagreement with the community with. It's boring. Depressing lack of music, a downgraded camera, uninteresting combat with disappointingly tame violence and monotonous puzzles make this the only one of the four games I never finished.

Yeah, we know, you've said that multiple times before. Why do you keep participating in this thread if you despise the game so much? Can't you just move on with your life? Or do you think a thoughtful and measured opinion such as "This game stinks" warrants extra consideration from any of us?

• @axel
    Idk I remember there was some film critic in the 90's who made a career of saying "it stinks"

• @axel said in God of War (PS4):

@ezekiel said in God of War (PS4):

This game stinks. I can't think of a game I'm at a bigger disagreement with the community with. It's boring. Depressing lack of music, a downgraded camera, uninteresting combat with disappointingly tame violence and monotonous puzzles make this the only one of the four games I never finished.

Yeah, we know, you've said that multiple times before. Why do you keep participating in this thread if you despise the game so much? Can't you just move on with your life? Or do you think a thoughtful and measured opinion such as "This game stinks" warrants extra consideration from any of us?

What are you talking about? This is the first time I've replied to this thread. And give me some credit. I've explained why the game stinks. Anyway, I don't see why it's more valid for you to gush over this stinker than it is for me to call it the stinker that it is.

• @ezekiel Maybe not in this thread, but in others for sure, and plenty of times. I don't see why you feel the need to shit on this game as if it personally offends you every chance you get, but whatever.

• Zeke, watch the doc perhaps? I’ve heard you act like they don’t care, they game is pretentious and the whole 9 yards. It’s easier to see that these people are humans like you and me when there is a making-of doc taking us through the whole process.

They even talk about some of your concerns head on.

• I need to be careful around Zekey's post since I might cut myself on all that edge.

@Axel But then who else will play the role of the forum contrarian?

Didn't have a chance to watch it yet but am super stoked. The game was a truly transcendent experience for me and I can't wait to learn about all the hard work that went in to making this masterpiece.