Spider-Man (PS4)

• @ffff0 I was thinking about that too.

I'm assuming they had to take parts of the suit off but perhaps found a way to keep the mask on to respect his identity? Towards the end, everyone is admitting they knew his identity anyway, so I don't think it's as big of a deal as someone knowing about Batman's true self.

I liked most of the suits but my absolute favorite in the game was...

the Animated Spider-Man. It stuck out in a few cutscenes but damn, it looked good.

• @ffff0 I take it to have been respect for him.

I assume it was just game development that mean his costume was still on.

• Just a friendly reminder to check out the Spoiler Mode if you haven't already, I always love some Jones and Kyle talk.

I'm surprised they didn't care for J. Jonah Jameson though... He was honestly one of my favorite parts of the game, spinning news like a Fox News anchor would. I guess it's polarizing though since I just Googled ol' JJJ and between the first two articles that popped up, he is both the worst and best part of the game.

• @sabotagethetruth to me JJJ podcast is one of the many highlights of the game, but i can see how people may hate, after finishing the main story he kept "posting" new episodes every 5-10 minutes, even though i %110 the game i am sure if i started it he will still be talking.

• Shu platinum'ed Spider-Man.

If a busy man like him can do it, then so can i. I can see myself marathoning this game in one week after my exams, been playing mostly for short one hour collectible hunting sessions and loving it.

• This game's photo mode is insane.

0_1537096767174_1537090205427m.jpg

0_1537097034448_1537094695295m.jpg

0_1537097044650_1537090054469m.jpg

• Finished Spider-man yesterday and got a Platinum-Trophy. Happenings around the middle part of the game and at the end got me quite emotional. Didn’t like MJ, and I don’t mean her missions but she was a bit annoying to put it nicely. Content wise it was quite the Ubisoft Open World game just with an interesting Story/ Narrative and more likeable characters. The crime mission were certainly the low point and I wonder if they would be more interesting if they weren’t random but more scripted and at fixed locations. On the other hand, you have more the feeling to be on patrol. Having the day and night cycle be connected to the story progression helps to not get the sense that the story doesn’t matter or get side-lined by a lot of things as maybe compared to Witcher 3 or other open world games.

• Finished Spiderman last week and got the platinum during the week. I'm sure most things have already been said but I'd like to throw some thoughts.

The game feels incredible. I think it's fair to say that a decent chunk of the side stuff is pretty generic but I found myself picking up the game, swinging around New York and stopping the remaining crimes. It just feels good and I think they really nail the control you have over it. If you've no interest in timing your swings or using the launch point, fine, you can still swing around but getting those things right just makes it all the better, it just makes the player feel good when they really get in the flow.

The combat in the game is very fun. Initially my only complaint was there was no timing to the combat so it could come across as pretty button mashing if you wanted but you're able to upgrade to get more focus when you time your button presses with the hits. Unlike Arkham where you basically always jump towards the closest enemy, I like here that you have to drag someone over or web to them. My only complaint is that swing kick will grab on to thin air. I don't love that but I imagine it might have been some kind of technical nightmare.

Overall I think the other character missions you play are not very good. The issue is you as Spiderman have all this freedom so when you're slowed down to a snails pace and it's basically a stealth mission, the action just comes to a massive halt. It also doesn't help that each one kinda feels like a tutorial. However I see what they were going for, showing what the normal person has to deal with and it should help to emphasize how incredible Spidey is (and they 100% nail this in one mission at Grand Central Station, easily one of my favourites in the game) but mostly they're a bit dull.

I haven't kept up with my Spidey lore since I was a kid but I loved pretty much all the character relationships in the game and where it went. The story was honestly much better than I had expected and the performances all round were fantastic. I've only got only two real critiques.

Silver Sable just suddenly being fine with Spiderman feels so off. She is (for no reason) extremely hostile towards you for all the game and then in this one mission, sets her difference aside and by the end is taking you to FEAST to recover, just felt so off.
    ! Literally ending the game on Peter and MJ kissing felt really forced which is so strange as their relationship throughout the game is really fantastic (debating to stay over, the cooking scene, the texting scene). It was just unnecessary

I think the boss fights in the game really improve as it goes on. I didn't love the Fink or Shocker fight, I thought they were fine but without spoiling, they definitely improve and really show why this Spidey is at the top of his game.

And just on one little detail I loved, slinging up a fire escape was always one of my favourite things to do.

I'm sure there is plenty more I could say but those are the main points. Insomniac are in a great position now to really just tweak somethings on the core game and location (I'm sure they'll add some extra land in the next one) and just really focus on the quality of the side game.

• My first platinum!

Well real one, other than a couple Telltale games (RIP) like Batman and TWD.

Finally one I wanted to do, that I could. No multiplayer trophies or must play on hardest difficulty ones.

So far it's my GOTY. Real fun, comforting and engrossing. I don't expect it to beat God of War or RDR2 for most people in the end, but for me it was like a warm sweater. Comfortable and warming.
    Probably my fave portrayal of Spiderman in games or movies. Sorry Tom Holland.

Also

Cel shaded is best costume.

• I didn't really have an issue with the story until I finished it and then thought about it. All this shit went down because he took down the Kingpin. He put away the seemingly most criminal person in the city, only to cause:

Another greater threat, Li
    Li then terrorises the city, kills Miles' father, takes up much of Spider-mans' time
    Leaving little time for Peter, causing him to not be able to help Otto and preventing Doc Ock from happening
    Causing a big break out at the Raft with all the biggest and baddest super villans (Can't remember if Fisk was here, if he was, then where did he go?)
    Which, in turn, causes the Devil's Breath to be unleashed upon the city killing hundreds (thousands?), including Aunt May
    He has to kill the one guy whom he looks up to, Otto. Basically now his third father figure to die
    And the "redemption of Sable" was weak and underwritten. That turn around was way too sudden.
    Moral of the story: Do the good thing and bad things will happen because of it..? He's basically a two time orphan by the end of the story, having killed his mentor, being respoinsible for his aunts (and several others) deaths, putting New York under marshall law due to enabling Li. Spider-man set these things in motion, J. Jonah Jameson wasn't wrong about that.

But when it's put like that, I just can't look back at the story and feel good about it. Please set me straight, tell me I'm wrong. I want to be wrong in this.

But other than that, I really enjoyed the game.

• @fridge-man Please make sure to spoiler that stuff. We're still really early in the release of the game. I just edited in the spoilers there.

• @tokeeffe9 Sorry! I thought I did put the spoiler tag in there. The preview window didn't show it properly.

• @fridge-man Well...

Otto doesn't die. He goes to jail. And yes, putting away Fisk does start everything, but if it makes you feel better know that Li was always planning this and just used Fisk's arrest as a perfect opportunity. Martin Li would have done everything the same sooner or later. Actually Norman Osbourne is the main cause for what happened here. Also Spiderman stories are not usually great for Peter.

• @Fridge-man Bosman put it well - the best Spider-Man storylines are when everything is going to hell for Peter in all aspects of his life and he's trying to balance what to fix first. I think saying him helping arrest a criminal led to a bunch of chaos therefore he is at fault is being reductive and simplifying things a little bit too much.

Got the platinum last night. I gotta say... when you've got 50+ crimes left to do around the city and that's all you have left... the game does start to feel like a slog. Yes, swinging around feels good, yes, punching people feels great, but when you've done the exact same thing in another part of town 15 minutes ago and 30 minutes ago, it certainly doesn't feel thrilling. I really didn't go out of my way to ignore the crimes during the story but I guess I should have sought them out more because those last few hours with Spidey weren't great.

• Just finished this game, got that plat. Not something I usually go out of my way to do but sometimes a game just compels me. Felt good. I loved doing the crimes but that's probably because I did them every single time I came across one and by the time I was trying to hundo I only had a few stragglers. The real pain in the ass was getting enough challenge tokens for the last few upgrades, I enjoyed them enough when I was just getting silvers but brute forcing the golds (especially on the drone ones) made me tear my hair out.

• Okay, let’s talk about some of the story here, because some things were deliberately kept vague, I think…

The question I have is when Otto become evil and when Li decided to terrorize the city. What villain was the first. Is that 100% clear. I mean Peter was thinking since when Otto use the, what was it called, neural link. When the lady wanted to kick out Otto, that was before Norman even closed the place, he already has anger management issues. Also, Li didn’t immediately decided to go bad after Fisks defeat. Since Li and Otto already knew each other, is it possible that Otto encouraged Li to do some bad. Same with Shocker. Who really hired him? At the time I thought it was Li but Li didn`t necessarily needed the money himself. Other thing is, when Otto discovered Peter with the Spider-man suit he might have just pretended to not know that he is Spider-man, cause admitting it might have made things more complicated. On the other hand, he gave him the new suit. The reason why Peter was furious about Otto at the end wasn’t that he became evil but because that he was lied to and taken advantage of the whole time. That is the great thing about the story – You expect that Otto goes mad at some point in the game but when it happened, you realize that he was up to no good way before and even then, it still makes you feel for the character…
    Anyway, I think I might have to play the game again…

• @ikataishou story spoilers

I like to believe that Otto started his "relationship" with Li and shocker right after norman visited him is the lab( i can't remember exactly when that was), and Li was acting alone but after he got caught he started working with Otto, Otto voice acting was on another level, when he first see Peter with the suit you believed his performance, but at the end when he switches his tone. Its so good.

• This post is deleted!

• Finally finished the main story... man, i didn't expect to be gutpunched so hard. I didn't expect that they would pull off the story like this, they handled the humor and emotions and high-stakes nature of the whole thing so well. Definitely the best Spidey story in any game (not gonna say "in any medium" just because i'm not well-versed in the comics). Well done, Insomniac. Platinum trophy, here i come!

Edit: Forgot to say that the voice actors nailed it too, for Spidey especially.

• The Heist arrives in a week, the first of the three DLCs. Three new suits are now revealed, I like the red one the best.
    https://blog.eu.playstation.com/2018/10/16/marvels-spider-man-first-dlc-the-heist-releases-next-week/