Spider-Man (PS4)

• I don't know if this is the correct mindset or not (spoiler: it's not)
    But I am mostly excited for those costume changes.

• @dipset Yup, hoping for that. We’ll see what happens.

I might be harsh here but to me it’s really annoying to see so many console exclusives stumble on the finish line. Always looks amazing but always stutters. And we know Insomniac can do 60fps with nice graphics going by their R&C games, they just need to know it’s still requested I think.

It’s weird when you start thinking about it, so much power but the industry in general seem to think console gamers simply don’t want 60fps anymore, it’s all about resolution and photo mode visuals. And I mean almost all PS4 exclusives except GTS is 30fps, what’s up with that?? And with no PC version to fix things we’re simply forced to just accept it. Even God of War is 30fps this time I believe. Definitely disappointing.

• L3 - Holding down L3 makes Spider-Man go into a dive, which is perfect for gaining speed to enter a swing.

Sounds awkward considering it's a movement control.

• @jaggafredde https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/insomniac-60fps-no-more
    tfw you remember an article and it's 9 years old..

And maybe the 30fps is for base @ 1080p and Pro @ 4K? The pro can definitely handle it at higher fps with a 1080p resolution, the boost function might be able to push it at least.

• The pro is 30fps.

• @fridge-man Unfortunately the Pro isn't designed for high framerates, there's not enough CPU power to allow that.

• @fridge-man Also the boost function is only for games that do not have a pro version/patch.

Also the game would have to have an unlocked framerate. If a game is locked to 30fps, it wouldn't help there either.

• @tokeeffe9 That totally slipped my mind mbmb

• Traversal video
    Youtube Video

The only part that bugs me is the swinging through the trees. I get it tho.

• @bam541 Don’t blame the hardware, the Pro (and base PS4) can handle 60fps just fine, it’s all about how you’re using the resources you have, Insomniac simply prioritized pretty graphics over smooth motion, again. Looking at the traversal video above makes me question why because with that speed, stutter and motion blur you can’t see those pretty details anyway. It’s a strange design decision in my opinion. But I’m sure we’ll see plenty of pretty photo mode still shots and small 30fps gifs, so that’s something I guess.

• Hands on impressions:
    Youtube Video

Each suit has a "perk" and once you get it, you can apply that perk to any of the other suits you own. That's actually kind of huge. You like the special power that Suit X gives you but you like the look of Suit Y better? No problem. Mix and match.

You start the game with the classic "Black Spider" suit, and the "White Spider" suit is crafted later and has some sort of story context.

Also... squirrels confirmed

• @tokyoslim This was a lot of fun to watch, I've had fun watching GI podcast since Ben Hanson was a guest.
    I love that not only can we get different suits, but that we can switch powers around.

I'm a wee bit concerned about these confusing controls, but that seems like something that will sound complicated when you try to explain it but then you get it when you play it.

I love the idea that where Peter Parker works is a big secret they won't reveal.

So far this is the first game this year that I'm tempted to pre-order based on just crazy excitement.

• lol I preordered it on Amazon in November

Until I was like 8 Spidey was my jam. Then I turned into an edgelord and DareDevil got me hooked.

• This game is going to be OotG after Bryan Intihar said his favourite Spiderman game is the one Neversoft made which is also my favourite. I think I will try and be media blackout..... after E3.

• I'm strangely not hyped at all for this game. It sure looks like it's going to be awesome, but I just have no interest in Spider-Man as a franchise, so I can't get excited. But hey I may very well still buy it and love it!

• @ib0show I wonder if there's gonna be a "what if" mode in this game? lol

Also, with the sad Stan Lee situation, I doubt he's available for much voice over work. :(

• The "What If" mode in Neversoft's Spidey game rings a bell, now that it was mentioned. I remember Namor in the background (in the Carnage fight?) and maybe a rubber duck in the sewers. Not much else.

But man, that game was awesome. I loved the Symbiote suit in it as it had unlimited webbing and of course it just looked so cool.

• @axel I think it comes a bit too late and they showed it off too early, and they should’ve tried getting it done til Homecoming released, the hype is still there but it could be better. The game looks great though! Personally I’m mostly annoyed at the exclusivity when they aren’t pushing things further with the framerate, it would be awesome to get it on PC and boost the framerate. But maybe they’re doing a next gen port too? PS5 isn’t far off from what I’ve heard.

• @jaggafredde From what insomniac is saying, it will be 30fps no matter what. Read the article a few posts up.

• @jaggafredde Well, it's just way easier to get most people excited with beautiful visuals rather than high framerates. Usually i prefer better visuals and 30 fps over the other end (i know i'm the minority here), but i need to actually play it first to see whether the 30 fps actually bothers me or not.