The EZA Community GOTY 2014 Nominations

• Almost shadow-dropping this one!

2014 tends to get a bad rap for its lack of PS4 and Xbox One exclusives, but a lot of third-party titles and indies made up for it, and it was admittedly the golden year of Wii U.

You all have roughly 2 weeks to send me your list of favourite 2014 games, which I'll compile to end up with a final ranking. Check out the GOTY 2017 thread to have an idea of the end result.

Here's how it works:

You may rank up to 8 games, a Top 4 and a maximum of 4 honorable mentions. They will be scored as follows:

#1: 5 points
    #2: 4 points
    #3: 3 points
    #4: 2 points
    Honorable mentions: 1 point

If you've got less than 8 games, no problem, honorable mentions are optional.

Send me this list via private chat or at eza.goty@gmail.com. Don't forget to mention your forum username if you send an email.

The list of games eligible only includes games released in the West (US and/or Europe) in 2014.

Games that came out prior to 2014 and were simply ported to new platforms in 2014 (such as SteamWorld Dig on PS4/Vita) are not eligible.
    DLCs (like Diablo III: Reaper of Souls) are also not eligible.
    Stand-alones such as Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes are eligible.

Wikipedia offers a comprehensive list of 2014 releases if you want to make sure you don't forget anything. Please refer to it, it will help a lot.

As always, do not post your list on the forum before the reveal is over.

After about 2 weeks, the nominations will be closed, and I will proceed to tally the votes and reveal our GOTY list via a countdown.

Have fun!

• PT case closed

• Oh yeah actually P.T. is a very tricky case, is it a demo or a stand-alone? Should it be eligible or not? I really don't know :/

• I'm voting for it no matter what the decision is

• Also, how are we handling Telltale games, are we counting each episode as a stand-alone game?

• My unofficial honorable mentions list (Games #9 - #13)
    -Dragon Age: Inquisition
    -Persona 4 Arena Ultimax
    -Vib Ribbon (it didn't release in the US until 2014)
    -Tropico 5
    -P.T.

• @tokyoslim said in The EZA Community GOTY 2014 Nominations:

Also, how are we handling Telltale games, are we counting each episode as a stand-alone game?

No, each season counts as its own game. There's always the issue when half the episodes released one year and the rest another year. Telltale should be disqualified for making our lives so difficult!

I'd say as a rule we should count when the first episode was released as the year it's eligible for.

• @axel said in The EZA Community GOTY 2014 Nominations:

I'd say as a rule we should count when the first episode was released as the year it's eligible for.

I kind of agree. Well, please take that into account on my list. :p

• For P.T., I believe it should be nominated because there is no other established, playable incarnation of that. It may be a Playable Teaser, but because of Konami, it will now and forever be a standalone game.

It deserves to be recognized for its impact.

Give me some time, I'll send my list along.

• @axel Well it was a demo, but with the game cancelled it's a standalone now.

• After looking at all the game releases, I've come to realize: 2014 was a DLC and re-release year for me. Things like Last of Us: Left Behind, Metro: Exdous, and Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD don't qualify, so my list is really short. Five in fact.

Either way, thanks again to @axel for his initiative and I'm looking forward to see how the list will work out!

• Nooooo, there was no Knack game released in 2014, all of my jokes are gone. However, Sharknado: The Video Game came out that year, so there's hope yet!

I'll get started on my list in the next few days. I'm in the camp that thinks P.T. should certainly count, it's a full experience on its own.

• Turns out i barely played anything in 2014 lol, what a weird year.

• Just realized 2014 was actually a pretty dynamite year when looking back at the lists. I thought Broforce was 2014 but it must have been 2015 which made my decisions easier.

I can tell you right away that I withheld Dark Souls II in my HM's. I played it, I beat it twice, and there is no game that has left more of a bad taste in my mouth than Dark Souls II. Hindsight helps me realize this and when I think of a GAME OF THE YEAR nomination - even an honourable mention, Dark Souls II is far too flawed in numerous aspects to be considered a great. Harsh but that's the beauty of retro GOTY!

• It's funny, but the one that hurts me most if Fez. I got super excited when I saw it on the list. I had forgotten that this was just the generatonal port year.

• Is Left Behind a DLC or stand-alone? I thought it was DLC but apparently it later became available as a stand-alone somehow?

• @axel Personally, I go to Wikipedia for those sort of clarifications so...

"It was released worldwide for the PlayStation 3 on February 14, 2014, as a downloadable expansion pack to The Last of Us; it was later bundled with The Last of Us Remastered, an updated version of the game released for the PlayStation 4 on July 29, 2014 and was released as a standalone expansion pack for both consoles on May 12, 2015."

Considering it became stand-alone in 2015, not 2014, I would say it doesn't qualify here.

• @sabotagethetruth Yeah that's what I was reading too. I'd lean towards not eligible too. Ugh, why does it have to be so complicated?

At least when we do 1998 we won't have these issues!

• Does Metro 2033 for Redux count as it was remade with different controls, mechanics & engine?

• How should we treat Bravely Default? It was released in 2013 in the EU and 2014 in NA.

Looks like your connection to Easy Allies Forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.