The EZA Community GOTY 2014 Nominations

• @axel said in The EZA Community GOTY 2014 Nominations:

I'd say as a rule we should count when the first episode was released as the year it's eligible for.

I kind of agree. Well, please take that into account on my list. :p

• For P.T., I believe it should be nominated because there is no other established, playable incarnation of that. It may be a Playable Teaser, but because of Konami, it will now and forever be a standalone game.

It deserves to be recognized for its impact.

Give me some time, I'll send my list along.

• @axel Well it was a demo, but with the game cancelled it's a standalone now.

• After looking at all the game releases, I've come to realize: 2014 was a DLC and re-release year for me. Things like Last of Us: Left Behind, Metro: Exdous, and Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD don't qualify, so my list is really short. Five in fact.

Either way, thanks again to @axel for his initiative and I'm looking forward to see how the list will work out!

• Nooooo, there was no Knack game released in 2014, all of my jokes are gone. However, Sharknado: The Video Game came out that year, so there's hope yet!

I'll get started on my list in the next few days. I'm in the camp that thinks P.T. should certainly count, it's a full experience on its own.

• Turns out i barely played anything in 2014 lol, what a weird year.

• Just realized 2014 was actually a pretty dynamite year when looking back at the lists. I thought Broforce was 2014 but it must have been 2015 which made my decisions easier.

I can tell you right away that I withheld Dark Souls II in my HM's. I played it, I beat it twice, and there is no game that has left more of a bad taste in my mouth than Dark Souls II. Hindsight helps me realize this and when I think of a GAME OF THE YEAR nomination - even an honourable mention, Dark Souls II is far too flawed in numerous aspects to be considered a great. Harsh but that's the beauty of retro GOTY!

• It's funny, but the one that hurts me most if Fez. I got super excited when I saw it on the list. I had forgotten that this was just the generatonal port year.

• Is Left Behind a DLC or stand-alone? I thought it was DLC but apparently it later became available as a stand-alone somehow?

• @axel Personally, I go to Wikipedia for those sort of clarifications so...

"It was released worldwide for the PlayStation 3 on February 14, 2014, as a downloadable expansion pack to The Last of Us; it was later bundled with The Last of Us Remastered, an updated version of the game released for the PlayStation 4 on July 29, 2014 and was released as a standalone expansion pack for both consoles on May 12, 2015."

Considering it became stand-alone in 2015, not 2014, I would say it doesn't qualify here.

• @sabotagethetruth Yeah that's what I was reading too. I'd lean towards not eligible too. Ugh, why does it have to be so complicated?

At least when we do 1998 we won't have these issues!

• Does Metro 2033 for Redux count as it was remade with different controls, mechanics & engine?

• How should we treat Bravely Default? It was released in 2013 in the EU and 2014 in NA.

• @futurecorpse said in The EZA Community GOTY 2014 Nominations:

Does Metro 2033 for Redux count as it was remade with different controls, mechanics & engine?

@hazz3r said in The EZA Community GOTY 2014 Nominations:

How should we treat Bravely Default? It was released in 2013 in the EU and 2014 in NA.

I wanna die :D

I guess for Metro, if you feel like it's a proper remake and not just a slightly prettier version (like Tomb Raider Definitive Edition for PS4 as opposed to the PS3 one), it would count.

For Bravely Default, that's tricky, we had this problem in the past with a Trails of Cold Steel game. I guess it makes sense to pick the year when it was first released, in this case 2013? That would make it ineligible for this vote. (And now I need to change my list because it was in it)

• Global Moderator

My list is in! was hard to get a solid list done. 2014 had a long list of games that were "okey" and some gems.

• @axel Sorry! This is just too important to get wrong

• @axel said in The EZA Community GOTY 2014 Nominations:

(And now I need to change my list because it was in it)

Same, but at least now a lucky honourable mention is going to get an upgrade! At least for me :)

• Telltale Games makes this really weird. The Wolf Among Us had its first episode in 2013 and the four others in 2014, so it's not eligible, right? Then again Tales from the Borderlands had its first episode in 2014 and the four others in 2015, so it is eligible, am I right?

Another question: do we count iOS and Android games, are they eligible? I played this particular game on PS4 when it was released on it in 2016, but the original release was on mobile in 2014.

• @sentinel-beach Yeah you're correct about the Telltale games. Makes it weird but if we keep it consistent then they'll all have their chance to shine at one point :)

As for the mobile games, yeah if they came out first on mobile in 2014 then they're eligible. (I think I can guess which one you're talking about haha)

• I'm a little sad that I haven't played Donkey Kong yet but going through the wiki list, lot of cool games that you wouldn't really think about that came out that year like OlliOlli and Danganronpa.

Also, this was a great year for my Vita. Spent a lot of time playing Rogue Legacy and Spelunky but can't really include them in this list.