Quesion about Life is Strange: Before the Storm

• Hi all, looking for someone who has experience with LIS:BTS to answer a question. I am away from home on deployment and have previously played the original Life Is Strange through episode 4, i.e. I have not finished it. I want to play more but I am playing it with my wife and so will have to wait until I get home in a few weeks. I am wondering if Life is Strange: Before the Storm could be played and enjoyed without missing out on too much having not finished the original game. I am well aware that it is a prequel chronologically but if it is best enjoyed with the hindsight of the original game, I will defer for now. But if it really is a self contained prequel without too much reference of later events, I may purchase and play it. Thoughts?

• If you've played LIS with your wife, why not continue that with Before the Storm as well? Just a thought.

BTS works very much independently, it's about Chloe and Rachel Amber. There's a very small thing in the end about Rachel's future, but as you've finished Episode 4 in the original LIS, I think you pretty much know that already. Still, though, personally I'd find it weird to return for the Episode 5 again after going through BTS in the meanwhile like this. But we all see things differently, this is just my view.

• Sorry if I wasn't clear. I am active duty and currently deployed, away from my wife. It will be quite some time before I am back home with her and can resume Life is Strange. I have a laptop with me out here and was contemplating playing the prequel.

• I haven't finished it yet, but I think BtS can be played without having finished the first game. You will have a much deeper understanding of some characters from the first game, (Rachel Amber, Chloe, the drug dealer, etc) and I think will overall lead to a better appreciation for the story as a whole.
    If you can hold off and play with your wife I recommend that. Playing games with bae is best.

• Global Moderator

I recently finished BtS, I feel that it makes things in LiS more meaningful, however as you are so far into LiS I dont think you really will miss out on anything. I feel like BtS really just ties up with episode 1-3 of LiS. That said.. there are some twists in episode 5 that gives some impact, but wont say more than that. I say go for it dude!

• I finished it last night.

DO NOT play Before Is Storm until you finish Chapter 5 of Life Is Strange. My roommates watched me play Before The Storm and they loved it despite not playing the original, BUT, the game ends on a shot which is a very very heavy spoiler for the end of Life Is Strange. I don't recall if the important information comes at Chapter 4 or Chapter 5 of Life Is Strange, so MAYBE if you've completed Chapter 4 you might be okay, but even so, I wouldn't recommend it personally. It is a super heavy spoiler for Life Is Strange in the last shot of Before The Storm. This shot also has a lot more weight having completed LiS and having completed BtS.

Not to say you CAN'T enjoy it but I'm worried you'll ruin the main game for yourself.

• Global Moderator

@dipset Oh shoot I forgot about that one! That thing should be ending of chapter 4 as far as I remember as its kinda the cliffhanger or episode 5. so THINK its still alright,

• @lotias said in Quesion about Life is Strange: Before the Storm:

@dipset Oh shoot I forgot about that one! That thing should be ending of chapter 4 as far as I remember as its kinda the cliffhanger or episode 5. so THINK its still alright,

You're correct. It spoils Episode 4, but not the last one.

• I said all that already...

• @dipset Thanks for your reply. I went ahead and bought LIS:BtS so I have something to play while I am away from home. If you would be so kind, where in LIS:BtS does the major spoiler occur? Is it the end of episode three? Or earlier? If you can advise me, I will just play the episodes up until a point and stop playing before the spoiler.

• @sentinel-beach said in Quesion about Life is Strange: Before the Storm:

I said all that already...

Woah, I just didn't read. My bad!!

@ozymandsss said in Quesion about Life is Strange: Before the Storm:

@dipset Thanks for your reply. I went ahead and bought LIS:BtS so I have something to play while I am away from home. If you would be so kind, where in LIS:BtS does the major spoiler occur? Is it the end of episode three? Or earlier? If you can advise me, I will just play the episodes up until a point and stop playing before the spoiler.

Credit to Sentinel since he brought it up first, haha.

The spoiler is literally the last few frames of the entire game AFTER the end credits and possibly even after the screen that compares your decisions to the rest of the world. It is a very major spoiler if somebody had never played the mainline Life Is Strange.

Looks like your connection to Easy Allies Forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.