Metal Detecting with Minamik

• Hello Allies! Minamik here! I've recently become addicted to the hobby of metal detecting and thought to share my finds with anyone who is interested in seeing all the tras...err...treasure I dig up. To not overwhelm people since I've been at it for about 3 weeks now, I'll just be making a post a day until I'm caught up.

• Day 1: A silver plated spoon that has lost most of it's silver plating, a rusty bit of bolt thingie, and a modern penny.

alt text

• I actually never saw someone doing that in rl, only ever in movies and cartoons.

Would be interesting to know where you find these things.

• @musou-tensei The house I live in was built around the 1900's, and just about everything I've found so far has just been on the property. Ton of fields and some woods around to wander about in too.

• My mom got me and my sister a metal detector as kids and we went out with it a few times. We liked to take it camping and search for stuff on the banks of rivers. Never found anything really amazing or of any significant value, (coins, cheap jewelry, bolts, nails, ect;) but it is surprising the things that get buried with time! That spoon is already way cooler than most things I can remember finding. Good luck on the hunt!

• Whenever people talk about metal detecting I just think of that episode of Pete and Pete where they dug a car out of the beach.

• @logic__error Yeah, it's all about learning what tones you're looking for. Mine goes from 0 to 100, and anything up till the 30s makes grunty sounding noises, meaning it's ferrous (aka iron) 30 to about 70 makes beeping noises where 30 to 40 is usually stuff like foil (pie tins, foil wrappers etc..) I haven't really found anything in the 40s to 50s range, but 50s through 60s could be gold, but it's usually just pull tabs from old beer cans, lol. 70s to about 83 is usually aluminum, and mid 80s is usually copper and modern coins, and sometimes silver, but the things that have rang up really high (70s to 100 are bell sounding tones btw) are usually brass and lead.

• @hanabi Oh man, I forgot all about that! What a classic, haha.

• @minamik Oh yeah, I definitely remember trying to figure out the tones and such with ours, I think ours had a weird display on it too but it was so long ago now. It is definitely a neat hobby!

• Day 2:
    Found at home: The pin from a grain wagon, some bits and bobs, and a horse shoe (still had some nails in it, so you know it was actually used on a horse and not for the game) At the very least the horseshoe predates my mom, but possibly even my grandmother as she was born in the 20s when automobiles were coming into prominence.

Field by tracks: 2 tiny 3.5 inch railroad spikes. I'm told these were used in the days before the railroad was expanded to carry heavier freight. Some ceramic shards from a home site lost to time.

Woods by drainage ditch: A 22 casing, and a giant blob of melted metal (aluminum or lead)

alt text
    alt text

• Day 3: The movement plate from a pocket watch, 2 bits and bobs, a silver mica capacitor from an old radio, and a horse hame from an old horse collar.

alt text
    alt text

• @minamik Are you able to identify the objects yourself, or do you have someone helping you out? It’s cool hearing you identify each finding, considering their deterioration.

• @billy Some of them were fairly obvious to me, like the pocket watch part, but the silver mica capacitor had enough writing on it for me to look it up online. And for the stuff I'm clueless on, I'm a member of several metal detecting groups on Facebook. Those folk know their stuff, haha.

• Day 4: A wheat penny, a silver plated spoon (this time with most of the plating still on it), and what I've been told seems to be part of a Victorian sash buckle.

alt text
    alt text
    alt text
    alt text

• Day 5: A key, a shotgun shell, 3 coins, 2 pocket knives, a bit of broken bottle, and 4 bits/bobs.

alt text

• Day 6: A big ole round chunk of iron, 2 links from a chain to some kind of harvesting equipment, a green coppery chunk of metal, some neat rocks the top half to a tube of Vitamin A&D Ointment, a weirdly spherical white stone, a ring shaped thing that I don't think is actually a ring, 3 coins, and a token that was apparently used in slot machines back during prohibition.

alt text
    alt text

• This is my kind of content. Thanks for posting!

• @parasitepaladin Unfortunately, due to my newfound addiction, I haven't even finished Ni no Kuni 2 yet, much less started Yakuza 6, lol.

• @minamik Haha, as long as you are doing something you love, party on mate

• Day 7: 2 coins, 3 coppery things, a bit of shell (lord knows how that found it's way on to an Indiana farm...), a battery, an iron loop, a square nail, bit of a keychain (on the front it says if you find it, you can put it in the mailbox and it'll will be returned to the owner postage paid, of course there are no keys to return anyways), a tent spike, 2 more bits/bobs, and 2 old school mower blades (I think this type is still used in those mowers they use for the side of roads).
    alt text