Are you buying into VR this year?

• I haven't decided yet. I know there will be some good games on the launch, but I am concerned on how they will look when compared to the games for the Vive or Occulus. Additionally while $400 is a ton of money, if the NEO is indeed coming out this year, I would rather my money go to that. That being said, I could see myself buying VR down the road, or if RE7 doesn't looks a poppy as the demo apparently did.

• @RoyalCactopi said in Are you buying into VR this year?:

@sblomkamp Yep, have worn glasses since I was 3 or 4 (29 now). Essentially, I'm nearsighted plus I have an exceptionally lazy right eye. I've learned not to register what it's looking at unless there is something obscuring my left eye (because if I do notice it, I have double vision constantly). Thus, when I try 3D movies or try using 3D mode on my 3DS, I have to exert a lot of effort to see the effect. I end up getting a headache and feeling nauseous.

I feel like I might do fine in VR, since I could essentially continue to ignore the right eye like I do regularly. Just not ready to throw down $400 unless I'm sure I'll be able to enjoy it.

I have a similar condition with a lazy eye and differing eye sight between my left and right eye; both are near sighted with one worse than the other. Tried out PSVR with my glasses and haven't had a problem with head aches or nausea. To be fair, that was only a short demo, though I feel that being able to still look down and see yourself or the floor helps PSVR with this.

To me one of the more interesting things about VR is to see what developers come up with for games or experiences (sorry Kyle). Arkham VR sounds like a lot of fun, even if it is only the length of a movie. Looks like a lot will come down to price and replay-ability.

• @Griffin yeah i think what people dont realize really is that measuring quality by length alone is a questionable practice. That excludes all sorts of experiences and story opportunities. Have they also considered that VR feels and plays differently? A 20 hour horror game would be extremely intense on the senses if not designed absolutely PERFECTLY. I worry that I see a lot of thinking (among gamers and even devs) that you can just slap any traditional experience into VR and it will work right out the door. Part of what I love about working in VR is that we are still discovering all the ways it works

VR will change how we talk about content and quality, that's definitely certain.

• nope, going to wait 4 to 5 years until all the kinks are worked out and also to see if any game companies really start to take it seriously.

• @Vexchaneu sadly with anything completely new, its a bit of a chicken or egg debacle. we depend on the early adopter enthusiasts to make it viable. but early adopter enthusiasts need content to care about. Risks all round :( Fortunately, the momentum is way better than I anticipated myself, so that's good

• @sblomkamp fully agree. Since you mention developers: I'd say we don't even know how different developing a VR title is. Does it take more time than a none VR one for example.

I can see that many developers will try things out in the form of smaller titles, trying to find out what kind of expectations players have when it comes to VR. After trying out the London Heist car chase it felt really normal to just try and touch everything you can, playing with any dial and button. Developing this sounds like a very different animal.

PlayStation Access posted a video of Farpoint today that included some interesting tidbits, imho. One of the items they mentioned was the lack of a traditional HUD. Ammunition was shown on a display on your gun for example. I think that small changes like this are what will make or break VR and at the moment nobody has a sure fire recipe.

• @Griffin I'm a dev working in VR, btw. Hence my frequency on this thread, gotta preach the gospel haha

any questions you want answered, thats why Im here

• Having worked with the limitations of the DK2 and how interesting the technology is as an immersion tool, I would say I'm buying into the VR hype. However, not getting a job after recently graduating from a degree that has focused on playing with such pieces of technology to secure funds have been a major hindering feature.

I'm not a fan how much wire management the DK2 used, granted it might change for commercial. Even then the Vive shows more interesting features and based on VGC and various game concepts I've seen.

• I'm going to hold off a couple years. I'm very wary of it, and I don't think I would take to it very well. I fear it will give me horrible headaches or even migraines. Looks neat, but I'll watch from the sidelines

• I am a interested in VR but not excited. I would like to try it but im not going to shell out that kind of cash on a whim. Its too new a technology, that lacks proper support and is of course, way too expensive. I also like to game for hours at a time and i am worried VR will only let me play for about 30 minutes before i start to feel sick and need to stop. In a few years when the price comes down and the games start to feel more like games and not just demos then I'm In. But until it can prove that it can be more then an expensive novelty, I am out.

• @sblomkamp very cool! Thank you for your insight :)

• Honestly doubt I'll ever buy into VR, but if I do it definitely won't be this year. At that price there really isn't anything worth playing on it, at least not for me.

• Nah, I have no interest in overpriced gimmicks anymore and the most interesting VR game for me, Summer Lesson, isn't even coming to the west.
    Maybe someday when that stuff is "outdated" and sold for 100 bucks or so.

• I will not buy into VR this year. I bought into VR in August of 2012 when I backed the initial Oculus Kickstarter. I also bought the DK2 and now I got my complimentary consumer Rift. It's really great. Just waiting for the Touch controllers now to get the full experience. Hopefully I'll have a new job by then so I can afford them. At the moment I'm mostly using it for racing games as I have a wheel. Wrestling a RUF Porsche around the ring in VR is amazing fun! =D

• Absolutely. After trying it at Best Buy, I am convinced that VR is the future. The era of VR we entering is the equivalent of what PS1/N64 generation was for 3D graphics: Low Fidelity, experimental, and control issues- but finally viable. Birth of entirely new genres, old genres being played in entirely new ways and reinvented, and dead genres completely revitalized. It will only continue to improve in the next 10-20 years. The Hype is real.

• Not enough must-buy games. PSVR is tempting, but I'll be honest, I want to hear the timelines for Oculus 2.0 and Vive 2.0.

Are we going to have 4-5 years between updates, or 2-3? If its 2-3, I'll happily wait for the update premium Vive product.

That being said, if a must-buy game comes out I'll drop the cash. I just don't see that happening. (RPG/Action/Strategy would by my must-buy)

• @sblomkamp Can confirm!
    Went to Steven's office a non-believer, walked out as afan (also of Steven)

• Banned

If I could afford it I'd buy a HTC Vive right now, but I can't so I'll probably have to wait until next year.

• Not yet, I want to see more of what is at launch for PSVR and the support it is getting. Which is a horrible double edged sword, I know.