Are you buying into VR this year?

• @sblomkamp very cool! Thank you for your insight :)

• Honestly doubt I'll ever buy into VR, but if I do it definitely won't be this year. At that price there really isn't anything worth playing on it, at least not for me.

• Nah, I have no interest in overpriced gimmicks anymore and the most interesting VR game for me, Summer Lesson, isn't even coming to the west.
    Maybe someday when that stuff is "outdated" and sold for 100 bucks or so.

• I will not buy into VR this year. I bought into VR in August of 2012 when I backed the initial Oculus Kickstarter. I also bought the DK2 and now I got my complimentary consumer Rift. It's really great. Just waiting for the Touch controllers now to get the full experience. Hopefully I'll have a new job by then so I can afford them. At the moment I'm mostly using it for racing games as I have a wheel. Wrestling a RUF Porsche around the ring in VR is amazing fun! =D

• Absolutely. After trying it at Best Buy, I am convinced that VR is the future. The era of VR we entering is the equivalent of what PS1/N64 generation was for 3D graphics: Low Fidelity, experimental, and control issues- but finally viable. Birth of entirely new genres, old genres being played in entirely new ways and reinvented, and dead genres completely revitalized. It will only continue to improve in the next 10-20 years. The Hype is real.

• Not enough must-buy games. PSVR is tempting, but I'll be honest, I want to hear the timelines for Oculus 2.0 and Vive 2.0.

Are we going to have 4-5 years between updates, or 2-3? If its 2-3, I'll happily wait for the update premium Vive product.

That being said, if a must-buy game comes out I'll drop the cash. I just don't see that happening. (RPG/Action/Strategy would by my must-buy)

• @sblomkamp Can confirm!
    Went to Steven's office a non-believer, walked out as afan (also of Steven)

• Banned

If I could afford it I'd buy a HTC Vive right now, but I can't so I'll probably have to wait until next year.

• Not yet, I want to see more of what is at launch for PSVR and the support it is getting. Which is a horrible double edged sword, I know.

• Nope, maybe next year though with my tax return, although ill probably use that for a NX (And getting ahead on some bills)

• I have a PSVR pre-ordered because I buy anything PlayStation, but I don't know what games I'll be picking up. Probably Rigs, Eve, and GT Sport.

• Eye issues aside from my initial experiences with VR, it already seems like that massive marketing push is already dying down, that trickle of information of upcoming titles hasn't gone any further than what we saw at E3.

Doesn't that worry anyone? It's already looking like every iffy early adopter situation with a new phone idea, computer, game console. And the lack of games is still going to be at the forefront of this despite the asking price.

I don't know about the rest of you but I'm a little tired of spending a couple hundred on a new "Thing" and waiting 1-2 years for games only to find out the platform has been largely abandoned already. It's happened far too many times to me.

• @ZyloWolfBane All I know is I love making games for VR. I'd hate to have that one day end because of the chicken and egg scenario of brand new tech/adoption needs more content/content needs more adoption. I dont see a die down in any VR news, Its not a mainstream thing at this stage. Unless you're referencing PSVR exclusively, which yeah, i guess is quiet compared to E3. But that again seems wholly understandable. We're busy making the games :)

• @sblomkamp I was referencing the PSVR and Vive, I mean I keep pretty up to date on all things gaming, and once Vive came out....I see very little about it.

A few streamers I know used it on twitch for like a day, and that was it. Maybe I'm not looking in the right places? I mean I'm sure games are being made, I just hope it's enough to keep the tech progressing.

My only other concern being that when VR matures, regardless of how long that takes, we'll probably all have to buy new headsets again, and the old ones will be....well useless. Which....still happens even with modern consoles that don't give backwards compatibility so it's not too unexpected.

It's just (To me) a great asking price, I think it'll be a very niche thing for awhile. Like the people who get those overly expensive TVs and 4K PC monitors.

• @ZyloWolfBane yeah, you're not wrong. It is entirely niche right now. Now that I'm on the other side of the fence, it's pretty startling how (and i include myself in this fully) I don't think we as consumers really remember what it's like having something this new enter the market. We are sorta accustomed to everything being huge immediately, or an iteration of established tech. At least, that's my take away.

I would never expect VR/AR to eclipse other parts of the industry, nor would I want it to. Like I said before, all i know is I love what I get to do with it, blown away by the stuff I've tried, and I hope people approach it with the same enthusiasm and excitement above all else. They all don't have to throw their wallets at it just yet (and, I dont think the market is expecting them too at this stage, or we wouldnt have seen those hardware shipping issues across the board when demand was way bigger than anticipated)

• @sblomkamp said in Are you buying into VR this year?:

@ZyloWolfBane yeah, you're not wrong. It is entirely niche right now. Now that I'm on the other side of the fence, it's pretty startling how (and i include myself in this fully) I don't think we as consumers really remember what it's like having something this new enter the market. We are sorta accustomed to everything being huge immediately, or an iteration of established tech. At least, that's my take away.

I would never expect VR/AR to eclipse other parts of the industry, nor would I want it to. Like I said before, all i know is I love what I get to do with it, blown away by the stuff I've tried, and I hope people approach it with the same enthusiasm and excitement above all else. They all don't have to throw their wallets at it just yet (and, I dont think the market is expecting them too at this stage, or we wouldnt have seen those hardware shipping issues across the board when demand was way bigger than anticipated)

Yeah, I've experienced enough tech changes in my day. I even had a Laserdisc player. Thumbs up to anyone else who had those monstrous discs lol.

I was actually more excited for things like Google glass before VR was announced, and I still am since it has a pretty good functionality that can be paired with my mobile devices for every day use, not just gaming. And then of course factor in Pokemon go's AR with something like google glass and it could be a literal gamechanger.

Either way, I've seen enough iterations of VR in the past, we've all seen "Hackers" (Movie, the villain is seen playing in a VR booth) style VR stands at theme parks and the virtua boy from Nintendo. And I've always wanted it to find a market because it's a neat idea, most impractical but really really neat. I mean for the few moments I wore my Gear VR I was entertained by the Netflix layout while watching TV lol.

I guess we'll see where the market goes, hopefully they don't price themselves out of the competition early on or pace themselves too slowly for releasing content. It's a delicate balance, and it only takes that "One" hit to turn it into a success.

I mean....imagine if mobile gaming was in it's infancy right now and something like Pokemon Go had been out back THEN.

• @ZyloWolfBane yeah, im super pumped to see where the tech goes. Its cumbersome now but its not that bad, and its league's ahead of where it was even a year ago. Did you see the early valve prototypes?

alt text

hardcore.

also, You mention AR has applications outside of just gaming? Man, half of the best experiences I've had in VR the gen is educational stuff. Im super excited what both forms of tech can do. Gaming is just a natural start off point in my eyes as we pave the way and figure out what works/what doesnt.

• whats really been pleasantly surprising to me is the call for more roomscale vs seated, and the natural desire for mo control as standard. Its wonderful seeing people engage as much as they do, been way more than i assumed it would (my involvement started tangentially at GDC 2015 with vive reveal, was workign in traditional game dev before that).

(disclaimer, our studio is porting to all 3 headsets - PSVR, Oculus and already out on vive). The whole industry is super interesting to watch right now

• @sblomkamp said in Are you buying into VR this year?:

@ZyloWolfBane yeah, im super pumped to see where the tech goes. Its cumbersome now but its not that bad, and its league's ahead of where it was even a year ago. Did you see the early valve prototypes?

alt text

hardcore.

also, You mention AR has applications outside of just gaming? Man, half of the best experiences I've had in VR the gen is educational stuff. Im super excited what both forms of tech can do. Gaming is just a natural start off point in my eyes as we pave the way and figure out what works/what doesnt.

Well not specifically that AR has applications outside of gaming, but just the functionality of google glass. I'd be able to use it as a gaming device and keep track of important things without digging out my phone.

Would be a lot less weird looking than everyone walking around like zombies staring down at their phones lol.

BUT! I could easily see something like AR being used as teaching tools too, I mean assuming of course the tech was priced low enough that schools could afford them, or they were so incredibly common that everyone had them (Like phones are to us now) they could easily have programs designed to let the teacher do their lessons entirely on AR.

That sort of thing would instantly grab the attention of young students, I mean that was always my greatest motivator to learn when I was a kid, I learned to read through video games and anything interactive, I was good at typing at a young age because of typing games at the computer lab. So it's a great idea.

But the entire climate of tech would have to be so fundamentally different from how it is right now, the economy would need to be in an entirely different place and the tech itself would have to be easy to reproduce and market/sell. Also my imagination is pretty wild lol.

EDIT-Also yeah...that headset prototype, that'll give your neck muscles a workout lol.