Are you buying into VR this year?

• A lot more convinced now that more full games have been announced at E3. Stuff is getting really interesting in the VR space now!

• For those interested in VR, Gamespot did an interesting discussion:

Youtube Video

• After RE7 I think I might actually get a PSVR headset. Its so far the only thing that has convinced me that VR is worth the money

• Literally everything I've seen on VR seems far too tech demo-ish. Given the high price tag, I'm not buying in (yet).

• @trugs26 even Resident Evil 7?

• @Hoken said in Are you buying into VR this year?:

@trugs26 even Resident Evil 7?

Even that, a game made by Capcom, one of their biggest IPs, looked like an indie title in terms of presentation quality compared to every other RE game. Though, I have not seen much outside of the announcement trailer. I'm keen to see footage of people playing the demo.

• Sony did a great job showing off PSVR this week and I have to admit for an hour or so I was considering pre-ordering. But the stuff I am really excited about is still ways off and even though the 399 pricetag sounds great at first, if you add move controllers, camera and games it's already blowing way past the 500€ mark. I'm definitely going to wait at least till 2017, probably christmas 2017.
    The other VR stuff I'm not even considering. I'm a Mac user and sure as hell ain't gonna drop a grand on a gaming pc and another grand on VR + games and I'm also not going to buy a 600 dollar Samsung phone.

• @trugs26 something to remember is that we are looking at brand new tech, not just a new tier of established tech. you're seeing a lot of tech demos coz everyone is still figuring out how this is going to work, even us devs.

I see a lot of people going "oh why don they just activate VR for borderlands or something and print money, but the design hurdles are HUGE, and the tech is always expanding and upgrading. I love it, we're basically poking around how to do things in a new frontier in completely new ways. But if your feeling truly is everything is too "tech demo-ish", i implore you to go try stuff first.

Heck, we're doing an episodic game, and working ion ep2 now. the lessons we learned and are adapting just from our first venture are staggering, ep2 is gonna be epic. i'm loving the challenge versus traditional game dev

• @sblomkamp Dropping in to say nothing more than I'll get your game(s) as soon as I get my hands on a Vive and trying them out. Nice to have a bit of dev insider information to read.

• @Hoken thanks man. Im trying to be as unbiased as possible, coz i totally get the concerns about VR. My world was rocked when i tried the early Valve prototype last year (formerly super anti motion gaming, anti-wii/anti-kinect etc). But man, just how good roomscale and stuff felt has converted me. Now trying to temper my excitement with offering a genuine analysis

PS still very anti kinect and wii. lol. But more open to genuinely good mocontrol is my point

• After recent E3 press conferences, the gaming industry has convinced me that there focus is on VR which has made me consider getting one. I am low on cash at the moment but would love to pick up Morpheus because I know Sony pumps out games that I want to play. I think the only games I am really hyped on playing on VR are horror titles.

• Hell no.....I'd rather not strap a TV to my face and play shitty fps games in it.

Give me video games damn it, no more of these damn pointless gimmicks. I want a controller, with buttons, games that make me look and feel awesome, and no more of this garbage new tech.

JUST FUCKING VIDEO GAMES!

• @KingofDMC Have you tried it? VR isnt here to replace flat games, dont worry. Just adding to the variety of experiences only gaming can provide

• @sblomkamp said in Are you buying into VR this year?:

@KingofDMC Have you tried it? VR isnt here to replace flat games, dont worry. Just adding to the variety of experiences only gaming can provide

I have no desire to try it, also tell that to RE7, that I'm pretty sure went first person just to make it better in vr.

Also wth is this post limit stuff lol.

• @KingofDMC I'd be hesitant to demand things always stay the same, or shoot down an experience without more familiarity with it. But I do get your concern. As with anything new, there will be cash in's and people jumping on the band wagon. But I have faith in the pedigree of the devs involved, and welcome the experimentation

• @sblomkamp said in Are you buying into VR this year?:

@KingofDMC I'd be hesitant to demand things always stay the same, or shoot down an experience without more familiarity with it. But I do get your concern. As with anything new, there will be cash in's and people jumping on the band wagon. But I have faith in the pedigree of the devs involved, and welcome the experimentation

I feel like if they want to do that then make a whole new game, why take something beloved and drastically change it like that coughDmCcough

I also just don't like the first person perspective that much so I am bias.

• @KingofDMC Yeah. I totally get what you're saying. But try see the positive side of it, you're literally just getting more of something you love, in a different way. There will always bee the core series and new entries and how it's done, no one would seek to break that, especially the people in charge of making it.

I do worry about things like FFXV VR though. As a dev that builds VR games from the ground up, whenever you're coming up with mechanics or ideas you have to keep asking yourself "why do it in VR". If it justifies itself after that, then we go ahead. If not, then you run the risk of making something questionable in quality. From what they presented for that, it didnt look nearly as solid as it would need to be to justify being in VR. Personally, I'd have focused on non combat, world exploration stuff inside an FF game if i had to make it VR. You've always got to ask yourself "am I making a poison pill". As in, am I making something that will put people off VR.

It's an interesting challenge for sure, I love it.

• Totally, I've already got my PSVR pre-ordered for October. I haven't really tried it outside of google cardboard but it just looks so cool that I wanted to get something... I've probably got too much disposable income...
    I decided on PSVR just because I don't have a PC ready for the other 2 + being cheaper helps too.

• @ZeusBurger I'm getting PSVR and Vive, and I've never tried anything to do with VR at all. All in baby, love that disposable income.

• I'm not buying VR this year for travel reasons but I'm definitely going to get it once I'm settled in somewhere.

Main question is if I'll have a PC beefy enough to run VR unless the PS exclusives happen to be very impressive.