Are you buying into VR this year?

• @KingofDMC Yeah. I totally get what you're saying. But try see the positive side of it, you're literally just getting more of something you love, in a different way. There will always bee the core series and new entries and how it's done, no one would seek to break that, especially the people in charge of making it.

I do worry about things like FFXV VR though. As a dev that builds VR games from the ground up, whenever you're coming up with mechanics or ideas you have to keep asking yourself "why do it in VR". If it justifies itself after that, then we go ahead. If not, then you run the risk of making something questionable in quality. From what they presented for that, it didnt look nearly as solid as it would need to be to justify being in VR. Personally, I'd have focused on non combat, world exploration stuff inside an FF game if i had to make it VR. You've always got to ask yourself "am I making a poison pill". As in, am I making something that will put people off VR.

It's an interesting challenge for sure, I love it.

• Totally, I've already got my PSVR pre-ordered for October. I haven't really tried it outside of google cardboard but it just looks so cool that I wanted to get something... I've probably got too much disposable income...
    I decided on PSVR just because I don't have a PC ready for the other 2 + being cheaper helps too.

• @ZeusBurger I'm getting PSVR and Vive, and I've never tried anything to do with VR at all. All in baby, love that disposable income.

• I'm not buying VR this year for travel reasons but I'm definitely going to get it once I'm settled in somewhere.

Main question is if I'll have a PC beefy enough to run VR unless the PS exclusives happen to be very impressive.

• @Hoken not being able to actually try it makes it a bit scary though to be honest, still I'm super excited to dive in. If PSVR works out well for me then I'll probably look at saving up for a decent PC and get myself a Vive, I've heard a lot of good things about it.

• I am really interested in the Sony VR im only worried about the whole PS4 Neo thing...should I buy the VR now? or wait for the Neo to come out? To get the full experience?

• @sblomkamp I have tried a lot of VR. I do research and development with it, so I know it has potential, but it also has a lot of hurdles to overcome. So I understand why the games are the way they are, but the fact of the matter remains, the games are still tech demo-ish, hence why I (as a consumer, not a researcher) won't buy one in 2016.

• I want to buy PSVR. Just waiting to see if the economy gets better or if I can get some wicked deal.

• @Hoken psvr is the biggest thing that sways me to buy.

I'm hardcore pc gamer. 980 ti, 144hz g sync monitor, the works.

But the hassle of setting up oculus or vive is a huge detractor, and the simple appeal of Psvr is pulling on me.

Thankfully you can't find any in stock.

• I wanted to buy a vive, but it's just too expensive for me right now, so i came to terms with not buying in this year...

However after Sony's e3 presser i may buy a PSVR after all. I would've prefered to VR on pc, but the games announced for PS4 look worth it. Bummed i won't be able to play Elite Dangerous in VR tho.

• Global Moderator

As I have been developing games for 2 years with the Oculus Rift it should be the one I go for.. but got a pre order for Playstation VR instead haha.

• Very Interested in VR just worried about game support, tried out the vive at a store and loved it.
    However, Sony seems to have a number of VR exclusives im interested in like Ace Combat and RE7.

• I have the PC to support VR, but i'm not really sold on the VR yet. But ofcourse that might change if I get to try it. Currently i'm still being quite skeptical with VR and games, no doubt VR will have other uses though. Also the price is still way too high.

• Man, seeing how hyped the Allies were about VR, even PSVR, makes me so happy.

• no real interest in VR as yet because i don't think its good enough or has the games, by the time Project Scorpio is available i'll know if its worth owning or just another fad like 3D, Move, kinect etc....

• @yungstar I get the apprehension. You should check if theres a demo station near you, I know Best Buy is pushing VR pretty hard. I HATE kinect and 3D. Been swearing up adn down about the gimmickery there, but I believe the big difference now (And as brandon stated on stream last night too) is there's an actual tangible logic to the experience. Kinect had so little to offer in its best case scenario (which is what, fruit ninja?), while VR brings real immersion (when done right, not all VR is made equal, i digress)

• Surely this can sell everyone on VR :laughing:
    alt text
    From @Whoaness's Batman Bosman VR thread

• Nope! I am poor, and that requires a ton of money. I would go for PSVR. But first that would require a PS4K. And if I have that, why would I not buy a 4K TV set? After that I'd just need the VR headset. Wow. Look at all that money I don't have.

• It would be like buying the first Hover Car/Board; riddled with bugs and faults.

• I have pretty crap eyes, so I'm not sure I'd be able to do VR (can't watch 3D movies without getting ill). Would love to try it out and, if I have it in the budget, would grab PS VR in the fall if I liked the experience. I have an alright gaming PC, but def prefer consoles.