"Help! (I Need Somebody) Help!...)" - Nintendo Switch

• @mbun I may have exagerated the extend to which I'm saying I'm just bruteforcing and how much I understand of the combat, I'm certainly not just autoattacking and I have a decent grasp of things I believe, there's just a lot I haven't bother with, such as testing different blades, updating the core augments (can't remember the name), or optimizing food items among other things, I know all of these are important and have an effect on combat but I don't want to deal with those, so it is a lot of the things that are adjacent to the combat, in the combat I may not be an absolute expert but I certainly understand what I'm doing, I think I didn't express that well before.

I'm not done with the game, but I'm sticking with it simply because I made a promise/bet with a friend related to it, but as I said at first I think the game is overall terrible, and I don't think that even if I somehow loved the combat my impressions of it would improve.

• @thenerdtheword @bard91 @Majima @Mbun @SunPraiser @logic__error @Hanabi @Bigdude1

Wow! Thank you so much everyone!! Such great and informed input.

Think I'm going to bite the bullet and go for Breath of the Wild. Ready to get stuck into something substantial, so the 100+ hours is actually quite enticing right now! :L I also only got round to playing and finishing the Witcher 3: Wild Hunt at the end of last year, so thinking it could be really cool to play 'BotW' with Geralt and co. fairly fresh in my mind and to be able to compare these two much-loved games at the forefront of the 'open-world' genre.

So intrigued by the discussion on Xenoblade Chronicles 2. Might be a bit down the road, but think I'll definitely give it a go at some point - want to try and understand how it all works. I haven't even played XC1 myself but loved Ben's playthrough, which really turned me onto the franchise!

Octopath Traveller has me so hyped!! Gonna play that game a whole bunch when it's fully out in July!! And feeling the DK: Tropical Freeze love hard - might go for it over Odyssey if I have time pre-Octopath Traveller(?!?!)

Thank you again for all of your wisdom. I just wish I had more money and more time to explore more of these ace games/franchises! Feel free to keep using this thread to talk about all the great stuff already out on the "Swiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiitch (Ian/Kyle's voice)" or to hype up new games which are on the way. L&R :)

• @bard91 said:

testing different blades

Long as you're using Rare Blades, just use whatever you like most. You should have three per Driver though, because switching between them helps refresh their Arts constantly and pull off combos as it sounds like you already know.

updating the core augments (can't remember the name)

If you mean Core Chips, those are extremely important, and if nothing else you should buy and equip news ones to all your active Blades whenever you reach a new town with priority on highest damage numbers. If you mean Aux Cores, those can be helpful for super specific situations and can save you headache in a general sense as well but aren't nearly as important as the Core Chips. If you don't wanna worry about Aux Cores, easiest thing to do is stick Crit Up ones on a Blade and then equip the Driver with the accessory that heals them a percentage when they crit, then as long as you keep doing damage during a fight you'll keep getting healed pretty consistently and probably not have to worry about as much else.

optimizing food items

Pouch can be extremely helpful with boosts, but they're also completely unnecessary. Some of the good boost items can last over two real hours though, so it probably doesn't hurt to shove stuff like that in there that gives some kinda generic boost like HP up or damage shield and forget it. Will even restock themselves when they run out if you have more in your inventory, so it is seriously something that takes no time to manage really and can be quite helpful. The only harder part with them is raising town levels to get stores to sell you better ones, but again that's completely unnecessary. Just use whatever you can get, and you'll be fine for the majority of fights during the story.

• Ps:

How crucial is the Switch Pro Controller? Is it a real necessity, or can you get by ok without it? :)

• It's pretty much required to play Splatoon 2 (in my experience anyway, I mean you can use the joycons but it feels so, so bad.) Otherwise I've never ran into a situation where I felt like I needed it but it is nice to have.

• @rarmstar Depends on your preferences. I have literally never docked my Switch, I've played exclusively handheld on it, but I really enjoy handheld gaming. My partner has a pro controller and usually uses it when gaming on his Switch. If you enjoy playing up on a big screen most of the time then a pro controller is really nice to have, and like Hanabi said Splatoon is much better with it, but most games are totally fine with joycons.

• @rarmstar I have never docked my Switch either, and I don't feel like I've missed out on anything... although I have friends who swear by it and seem to really enjoy it as well. I think Nintendo seems to have done a good job of giving you the ability to play however you want.

• @Hanabi @logic__error @Burup

Coolio, thanks! :):)

• @rarmstar honestly if i didnt have the defective launch joycons still i would probably prefer the joycons. they are soo tight.

but the pro is still good, sometimes I think the buttons are too big on it

• @burup id say thats true on most games. but odyssey definitely feels like your missing out with the joycons attached.

• @rarmstar if you like the idea of the combat for 1 you might like 2. also knowing the story for 1 could be beneficial for 2...maybe

• @bigdude1 maybe that gives me a good reason to go back and replay it lol

• @rarmstar said:

How crucial is the Switch Pro Controller?

Depends entirely on the person. The Switch will come with a "Grip" for your Joycons to slot into and make a more traditional controller, just without a D-Pad since Joycons don't have one. You can also use split Joycons on their own. Some people seem to really enjoy that method of control. Others are so used to more traditional controllers they want a Pro Controller, and as @Hanabi said, I highly recommend one for Splatoon 2, but I have heard people say they've played it before with split Joycons and done fine.

All that said, you need to know that all Switch Pro Controllers up until the Xenoblade Chronicles 2 design ones have a D-Pad defect that you'll more likely than not run into. Things like pressing right registering as an up press and such. This most heavily affected me while playing Breath of the Wild with a launch Pro Controller, because it caused the wrong quick switch menu to open quite often, which was frustrating to deal with. I don't seem to notice it a ton anymore, but not sure if it is cause I'm not playing games anymore where it would come up noticeably or I've worn mine in enough to fix it now or something? Some people will say this hasn't been fixed, but it is proven Nintendo changed the internal design of the Pro Controller from the Xenoblade ones onward, so if you get one of those you shouldn't experience the same problems.

Also since someone mentioned it before, when you get your Switch attach the Joycons to the side of it, and navigate to the controller section and update the controllers manually after whatever other system updates finish. They are initially set to a lower signal strength to conserve more battery, so people have consistently run into problems using them detached from the system. Updating them should boost the signal and help, but if you're still experiencing problems you can send them into Nintendo, and they will stuff them with conductive foam that helps stabilize the signal and send them back to you for free. Depending on the distance you play from your system you might not need to bother with all that, and the controller updates might be enough, but if you're noticing problems Nintendo is pretty fast at getting them back to you free of charge, usually within a week.

• @mbun Thanks!! I decided to go with the pro controller as a long-term investment, so I'll look out for any signs of it not working properly. I'll check the joycon signal strength too! :)

Everything is now in the post - Switch+Zelda bundle, pro controller and a good case. Let's go!!! :D

• Golf story is a hilarious game with creative golf courses. Great for short play sessions.

• Job done!! Thanks again for all the advice folks :):):):)

0_1524846232062_switch_zelda.JPG