The EZA Community Top 25 Best of 2014!

• Child of Light is one of those complete blind spots for me. From what I remember, the combat seemed interesting, but the choices made in how the game was created, like the rhyming for example, didn't appeal to me. But I'm quite happy to see a smaller game get onto the list.

Also I just want to publicly commend @Axel for editing the list to the proper order. That must have been a PAIN.

• Global Moderator

I feel like I need to play Child of Light - it keeps popping up on good lists! Im not sure of what have kept me away from playing it already, especially as its also on Vita.

• Mario Kart 8

#18. Mario Kart 8 - 14 points

Votes

#1: 0
    #2: 1 (FF7Cloud)
    #3: 0
    #4: 3 (Axel, SabotageTheTruth, Crepe)
    HM: 4 (Sazime, A7X458, FerrisK96, Capnbobamous)

Information

Release date: May 30 [US/EU]
    Developer: Nintendo
    Publisher: Nintendo
    Genre: Kart racing
    Platform(s): Wii U

Links

Trailer
    Wikipedia
    GT Review

• @Brannox Thanks, it wasn't too bad actually, good thing it was spotted early!

Haven't had time to comment on the last few games revealed, so I'll give my impressions now.

Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes

Can't remember if I got it through PS+ or on sale for very cheap, but either way it felt like a great deal to me at the time, not sure how I would have felt about it had I paid full price though. I loved the gameplay and got into the story hard! I'm not a huge Metal Gear fan (had only played 1 and 2 at that point), so I had no idea who Chico and Paz were or anything like that, and I was still moved by the events of the game. I replayed it many times trying to do the different challenge missions and it felt pretty awesome to eventually know the map by heart! This game sold me on Phantom Pain and I do agree that Phantom Pain would have benefited from a few locations as intricately detailed as Camp Omega, but that's another discussion.

Mario Kart 8

That one felt good as a Wii U owner at the time, it was the first game that could become a system seller and turn the console's fortune around. Obviously it didn't, but it still was an amazing leap forward for the series. The HD graphics are gorgeous, the framerate is smooth, the soundtrack is catchy as hell and the controls feel just right. The track selection, especially when you include the DLCs, is in my opinion the best to date in any Mario Kart. It's hard to imagine how much better Mario Kart 9 can get.

• Ah Mario Kart! Ok, I like Mario Kart. Don't really love it. Because I don't own a Wii U, I didn't play this version. I DID play the Switch version last year with some friends for about three or four races. (The only thing I've played on the Switch to be honest). Controls felt weird and because I wasn't used to it, I didn't do well. Still had a great time though. Really happy to see Mario Kart represented on the list. A tiny bit bummed it isn't higher, but ah well.

• I'm surprised Mario Kart is so low. It's arguably one of the best Wii U games not only for 2014, but for the Wii U as a whole. I'm not complaining, just surprised.

• MK 8 is a 2017 switch game, guys. Don't pretend it came out on some console nobody's ever heard of.

• Mario Kart 8 was good stuff, probably woulda been in my HMs if there wasn't another 2014 Wii U multiplayer game that took priority.

• @tokyoslim It's the only one of the two I own and own MK8 on. :P

I bought a new video card for my PC and PSVR this year instead of a Switch. The more I think of what I spent on those two, the more I wish I had not grabbed one and just got a Switch.

• @sazime You can just trade in that Wii-U, those things are pretty rare.

• MK8 is OK, it's not as good as Sonic Allstar Racing transformed

• @sazime I think, video card for PC is better investment. Both PS VR and Switch don't have much exclusives (which is sad since I own both), but PC can be used for almost every game worth playing.

• @capnbobamous said in The EZA Community Top 25 Best of 2014!:

I'm surprised Mario Kart is so low. It's arguably one of the best Wii U games not only for 2014, but for the Wii U as a whole. I'm not complaining, just surprised.

You can blame me... I somehow missed it when looking over the games of 2014. Mario Kart is one of those games that gets played when the family is all together, even by people that don’t typically play any video games. It’s a gorgeous, polished entry in a solid franchise, and I’m always happy to race a few tracks.

• @billy Alright, I'm blaming you!

• I totally forgot MK8 came out in 2014 >.<

OOPS

• It was a good game but just not good enough for my list, also Sonic Racing Transformed kinda spiled me in what a fun racer can provide for solo players, Mario Kart 8 was very basic in that aspect.

• Global Moderator

Mario Kart 8 I've only played a couple of tournaments on my brothers switch, cant say im super good at it and still got to learn the tracks. Yet I am enjoying the variations and "verticality" on some of the tracks.

• Mario Kart 8 is one of the main reasons I bought a WiiU and although it might be heresy, I think it's the best Mario Kart ever created. My friends are always nostalgic for the N64 version, so it used to take some coaxing to switch to this version but when we did, whew, some real good times were had. I even had a blast with the online multiplayer!

• Mario Kart 8 is great but just not in my personal top games for 2014. It was definitely an interesting experience trying to play online with friends and do a voice chat with them all at the same time.

• Divinity: Original Sin

#17. Divinity: Original Sin - 14 points

Votes

#1: 0
    #2: 2 (Jipostus, xias)
    #3: 1 (Hidz)
    #4: 1 (TokyoSlim)
    HM: 1 (Exist 2 Inspire)

Information

Release date: June 30 [US/EU]
    Developer: Larian Studios
    Publisher: Larian Studios