The EZA Community Top 25 Best of 2014!

• I'm not into horror, and all the previews for this back in the day made me go in the opposite direction, but there are several things about The Evil Within I find fascinating: The fact it was the first real AAA survival horror title to BE survival horror since Dead Space 2. It was being made by the guy who created THE survival horror series in Resident Evil. It was being published by Bethesda, who at the time, were not really known to publish a Japanese developed game.

All of that and more actually made me root for this to succeed despite my personal issues about it and I'm happy it did well enough to garner a sequel. With all that being said, I'm surprised it's as low as it is. I felt this was a top 10 for sure.

• I actually know nothing about The Evil Within. One of those games that just kinda slipped through the cracks on me.

• Infamous Second Son

#15. Infamous Second Son - 16 points

Votes

#1: 0
    #2: 1 (bam541)
    #3: 1 (Fridge-man)
    #4: 1 (Capnbobamous)
    HM: 7 (ib0show, Exist 2 Inspire, ffff0, TheOtherJohnP, Sentinel Beach, FF7Cloud, Hidz)

Information

Release date: March 21 [US/EU]
    Developer: Sucker Punch Productions
    Publisher: Sony Computer Entertainment
    Genre: Action-adventure
    Platform(s): PlayStation 4

Links

Trailer
    Wikipedia
    GT Review

• Great fun game, just lacking on the story front

• Had a good time with Second Son. First game that really felt "next gen" to me. Photo Mode was a step above and beyond anything that I'd seen to that point.
    Top notch world too. That being said, it was a short game with repetitive encounters. Didn't make my list.

• I liked the length, platinum the game as well. I got at least 20 hours out of it.

• Seattle was really nicely rendered, but I thought the story and powers were both lame, and I don't think it introduced enough to the Infamous formula to justify its existence.

• @ringedwithtile I liked the powers, it really changed it up compared to previous games. Would love Sucker Punch to make a Flash game because of how they did Super Speed in the game.

• Infamous Second Son is a fun game, that felt like first truly next-gen. I was (and I still am) super impressed by instant loading after fast travel.

• Second Son was my first PS4 game, and it looked and felt really good to start this era in Seattle like that. I liked the powers and the city a lot, just would've wished that the story and things in general would've evolved into something truly big and closer to the first two games. Man, I miss Cole...

• Absolutely love this game, all the powers felt quite unique and different from each other, and it was such a beautiful game too. Running around the nighttime city with neon powers is as fun as it is visually wonderful. It's as good (or better, depending on the mood) as Infamous 2 in my book, despite it's lacking of content and emotional impact compared to said game.

• I didn't finish Second Son, the game just got too repetitive. I also couldn't stand the main character, such a cocky douche. I do want to finish it though, it's just going to be a bit harder to motivate myself to do so now as I lost an awful lot of save files last month.

• Infamous Second Son seemed to be, at the time of launch, one of the three PS4 games worth playing. And of those, this was the one that seemed to have the best story and biggest world. However, this WAS a launch game, so there was 1.) Nothing really to compete with it and 2.) Most launch games (but not all) are not really all that great. As for Infamous specifically, this seemed like a complete shift from the previous two installments, and one that didn't appeal to me.

• @brannox said in The EZA Community Top 25 Best of 2014!:

Infamous Second Son seemed to be, at the time of launch, one of the three PS4 games worth playing. And of those, this was the one that seemed to have the best story and biggest world. However, this WAS a launch game, so there was 1.) Nothing really to compete with it and 2.) Most launch games (but not all) are not really all that great. As for Infamous specifically, this seemed like a complete shift from the previous two installments, and one that didn't appeal to me.

Infamous SS wasn't a launch title

• @sheria Really?...........Feels like it only being released but five months after the fact. In technicality you are right. Thank you for the correction.

• Yeah, it was pretty close. Resogun was my favourite of the launch titles :)

• I'm probably going against the norm here, but I absolutely enjoyed Dragon Age: Inquisition. I'm now a diehard Dragon Age fan, and this was the first open-world RPG I've ever played (I finished it before I played Witcher 3!). yeah, much of the open-world stuff is filler, and they could've paced each world better, but I enjoyed the story and gameplay. I'm hyped for Dragon Age 4!

• Woah. I have no malice towards this game, I thought it was fun, but felt like a pretty big step down from inFamous 2. Surprised it made our list. Still a decent game and if I had a PS4 at launch I would have played it sooner than I did.

• Mario Kart 8 is the best game in the series. Kind of a bummer that they ruined the perfect item balance of the original in the re-release on Switch.

• Transistor

#14. Transistor - 16 points

Votes

#1: 0
    #2: 3 (TokyoSlim, Lotias, SabotageTheTruth)
    #3: 0
    #4: 1 (Sazime)
    HM: 2 (tokeeffe9, Capnbobamous)

Information

Release date: May 20 [US/EU]
    Developer: Supergiant Games
    Publisher: Supergiant Games
    Genre: Action role-playing, Turn-based strategy
    Platform(s): PlayStation 4, Microsoft Windows, OS X

Links

Trailer
    Wikipedia