The EZA Community Top 25 Best of 2014!

• Also, forgot to mention: I'll include links to the GT Reviews for each game, make sure to check them out, it's a great nostalgia blast!

• I totally forgot when those even came out.

I mean, Sapphire is my favorite pokemon game (mostly because it's the one that I played when I was 11) and even as one of the few people that actually really enjoyed XY apparently I still couldn't get into those remakes beyond the "oh it's the game I like but in 3D I guess" factor. Still better than Moon. I honestly kinda hated that game and never even finished it, never even touched Ultra Moon.

• I guess I'm the weirdo who considers Gen 3 my least favorite. Getting through Ruby/Sapphire the first time, some time after it originally came out, was a struggle but I finished it. I tried to replay it, shortly before Alpha and Omega were announced, and just could not get through it again. I still picked up Alpha Sapphire and again found myself unable to stay engaged. I eventually stopped right after the battle to capture Kyogre and haven't picked it up since. Still glad it got an updated release though since a lot of fans do love it :)

• Because of the way I think people "remember" Pokemon games in relation to others in the same year, I'm kinda surprise to see one on this list. I always got the idea, aside from a couple of specific instances, that they kind of get forgotten after each proceeding generation.

• I must not have looked at the list very well since I forgot about pokemon. WHOOPS. Oh well. I'm SURE Luftrausers will get on the list. hahaha ;-;7

• The original Sapphire was the very last Pokémon game I both bought and played. I have had no interest in the series since then, so I never tried this one.

• Global Moderator

Finally this thread is here! :D Been waiting excitingly! Here we go folks

• @parasitepaladin I was so close to including Luftrausers on my list. Instead went with other obscure games that probably won't make it either! :)

• It was a good remake but not good enough for my list.

• Probably influenced a bit by my recent playthrough of it, but out of what I've played from 2014 it's my #2.

Thought the 'DexNav' feature was something really cool and innovative that made the act of searching for and catching Pokémon a lot more interesting - wish they'd kept it/built on it for Sun/Moon. Heart Gold/Soul Silver are still the top-tier in terms of Pokémon re-makes, but I'll always remember ORAS fondly :)

• Another countdown!!! Sweet (Now if EZA can hit their $46K goal......).

Anyway: Gen 3 Pokemon is the last gen where I enjoyed the games. Starting with Diamond and Pearl, there's a lot I just didn't like about them, so I only identify with the first three sets of games. Also, I'm not a fan of the remakes because of several design choices (plus I don't have the series), so I haven't played these.

• @tokeeffe9 said in The EZA Community Top 25 Best of 2014!:

@parasitepaladin I was so close to including Luftrausers on my list. Instead went with other obscure games that probably won't make it either! :)

It was a year of niche games for me. I only expect two of mine to make it.

• I actually watched the GT Review of this recently because I had just finished Soul Silver and wanted to see what that remake was like. I was pretty surprised. Soul Silver changes a lot of stuff but in general it's the same game, whereas ORAS seems so so different from the originals.

• This year was pretty lacking for me, I didn't play too many new or big releases this year, so like many, my lists has a good amount of smaller games on it.

@tokeeffe9 I feel the pain, brother.

@Sheria I understand that completely! I wonder where my #1 will end up!

• I didn't even know there's a Pokemon game that year.

• Valiant Hearts: The Great War

#24. Valiant Hearts: The Great War - 9 points

Votes

#1: 1 (Sentinel Beach)
    #2: 0
    #3: 1 (TheOtherJohnP)
    #4: 0
    HM: 1 (Faaip)

Information

Release date: June 24 [US], June 25 [EU]
    Developer: Ubisoft Montpellier
    Publisher: Ubisoft
    Genre: Puzzle, Adventure
    Platform(s): PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Microsoft Windows, PlayStation 3, Xbox 360

Links

Trailer
    Wikipedia

• awww man I forgot about Valiant Hearts and didn't realize it came out that year, I already had to make a difficult cut on my honorable mentions but I do think it would have been on my list as an HM had I remembered.

• Oh what... I also forgot about Valiant Hearts. Really liked that game and I'd just hang around in the menu for ages because the music was so good.

• You guys gotta be more thorough when reading that Wikipedia page! ;)

I loved Valiant Hearts, got it on PS Plus and didn't really know what to expect, but ended up being hooked! Very clever and emotional game, a unique art style and pretty bold choice in terms of setting and theme (obviously a lot of games about war have been made, but they're usually shooters). It almost made my list, it was pretty much #9, so I'm glad others voted for it, it deserves a spot among the best games of that year!

• Quick side-note: I've noticed that people forgetting about games happens pretty often in those threads so I was considering writing up a list of notable games in the nominations thread, as I realize the Wikipedia page is too cumbersome to browse and it's easy to miss something.

The problem is that I would inevitably end up picking which games I deem notable and that's always going to be subjective. I don't want to influence the votes, so I would try my best to include as many games as possible, but I can't include them all otherwise it'll end up being as huge as the wiki page itself. So let me know what you think about that!