The EZA Community Top 25 Best of 2014!

• ALIEN ISOLATION IS A

M A S T E R P I E C E

Youtube Video

In all seriousness, it is one of the most fun and memorable gaming experiences I've ever played in my life. Lights out at the apartment, fresh off enjoying the original Alien film, and just pure atmosphere with my big speakers hooked up to the PS4. I'll never forget playing this game. There is almost nothing I didn't like about it.

The Sevastopol space station took on a life of its own and I place it up there with other great self contained and slowly unravelling atmospheric game worlds such as Rapture in Bioshock, Arkham Asylum in Batman Arkham Asylum, and Butcher Bay in The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay.

• @tokeeffe9 I knew that one would hurt you! I'm also disappointed Alien didn't make it into the top 5 at least, it seriously deserves it for all the reasons you gave. I agree it could have ended earlier and the ending was a bit too bombastic compared to the rest of the game, but it was such a unique and bold take on the genre, I've got a lot of respect for it. It was also my first PS4 game which made it even more special.

@Musou-Tensei Sure, I was just using DK as an example but I meant that in general. If I only played Banner Saga this year I should be allowed to vote for it. And of course, the platform I play it on or the other games that came out since will influence how I feel about it, but there's not much we can do about that. Those retro GOTYs will always be a bit flawed in that sense, people will remember things differently (or forget games came out that year), just like the end-of-year GOTYs are flawed because we all have games we didn't have time to play. It's all in good fun :)

• I think it's interesting the "shock" at certain games not making it up higher in the rank, and I do wonder if some WOULD have made it up higher if this was in late 2014/early 2015.

Of course, there's also the, "oh yeah, I never got to that," moment I have on every other entry.

• Alien Isolation was quite good, but I did find it dragged a bit. Wonderful atmosphere though, nice to see it on the list.

• @sazime said in The EZA Community Top 25 Best of 2014!:

I do wonder if some WOULD have made it up higher if this was in late 2014/early 2015.

A couple would have been much higher up on my list because some very high picks of mine I didn't play until 2016

• Alien Isolation!

What a game. I’m usually pretty quiet whilst playing, lounging back in the sofa. This game was a full of yelps of shock, of me perched right on the edge of my seat leaning forwards, keeping as close an eye on the alien as I could.
    Sweating as you try to escape from the nest in the heart of sevastapol.

Wonderful, excellent, engrossing game.

• Maybe I should play this game. I like the Alien franchise, but something about it turned me off at launch and I never really gave it another look. Are there a bunch of androids or something? I don't remember...

• Yeah, the marketing was a bit misleading. It gave the impression that the Alien was the only enemy, when in actuality there's also Androids and the like.

I'm still to play Alien Isolation, I only played a demo at EGX Rezzed back in 2014. One of the most fun gaming memories I have with my mum. She doesn't play modern games so watching her wrestle with the controls and then getting scared of the Alien was amazing. Really well put together game concept that anyone can understand, "Stay away from big scary alien."

• @tokyoslim Yes there are rogue androids guarding some parts of the ship. I don't remember the story behind them, but essentially they exist so you have enemies to kill and don't spend the entire game only evading the Alien. But you can't easily kill them by going in all guns blazing, stealth is recommended against those too.

• @axel I don't feel that you should have delayed it. It's sad i didn't get to play it earlier, but that's 100% my fault.

• I really respect Alien: Isolation. I want to like it but I just can't seem to enjoy these first person survival horror games.

• Global Moderator

@axel This is why we can't have nice things.

Also on Isolation, the dlc which reenacts scenes from Alien, the one in the vent is incredible and I'm shocked they didn't do something similar in the main game.

@TokyoSlim Dude, 10% play it. If you're a fan of Alien, wash away the memories of Prometheus and Covenant with this.

I keep meaning to replay and stream it.

Oh, and play on hard. Soak in the terror.

• Alien Isolation was a game that I really enjoyed watching other people play. I know my limits with scary games.

• @tokeeffe9 said in The EZA Community Top 25 Best of 2014!:

Dude, 10% play it.

10% is not exactly a ringing endorsement. :p

• Global Moderator

@tokyoslim haha... damn it. I blame the keyboard.

• @tokeeffe9 Didn't know whether the DLC was worth it, now I'm tempted, I might pick it up!

• Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc

#10. Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc - 22 points

Votes

#1: 0
    #2: 1 (Capnbobamous)
    #3: 4 (TokyoSlim, SabotageTheTruth, bard91, logic__error)
    #4: 1 (SunPraiser)
    HM: 4 (ffff0, tokeeffe9, NeoCweeny, Sheria)

Information

Release date: February 11 [US], February 14 [EU]
    Developer: Spike
    Publisher: NIS America
    Genre: Adventure, Visual novel
    Platform(s): PlayStation 4, Microsoft Windows, PlayStation Vita, OS X

Links

Trailer
    Wikipedia

• The original Danganronpa in the top 10? YES! As a very, very new fan of this series, I've gotta say there is nothing out there quite like the Ronpa. Sure, you could just say it's a visual novel and leave it at that, but that's such a discredit to everything it achieves. A really dark (yet really whimsical vibe), some criminally underrated music, mostly well written characters, and a premise that's just so easy to consume and become addicted to. It isn't my favorite in the series (potential spoilers for the rest of this thread...) but it is the one that kicked everything off.

Seeing Danganronpa rank over some major AAA titles like Destiny, Infamous, and Mario Kart makes me realize our forums are a little insane and eccentric... and I say that with all the love in the world.

• Danganronpa is one of the few series that is so weird to me that it's a little difficult to think of something rivaling it in the console space (yes I'm counting handhelds). I have a couple of friends who have some serious love for the franchise, so the little I know, I know from them.

@SabotageTheTruth I love that eccentricity. It gives this place such a wonderful and unique flavor all its own. We should know what with those threads we did way back when... What were they called again? Save Your Siblings....? ;-)

• @brannox Resurrect Your Family Members: EZA "You're In One!" Edition, I believe was the full name.