The EZA Community Top 25 Best of 2014!

• It was a good remake but not good enough for my list.

• Probably influenced a bit by my recent playthrough of it, but out of what I've played from 2014 it's my #2.

Thought the 'DexNav' feature was something really cool and innovative that made the act of searching for and catching Pokémon a lot more interesting - wish they'd kept it/built on it for Sun/Moon. Heart Gold/Soul Silver are still the top-tier in terms of Pokémon re-makes, but I'll always remember ORAS fondly :)

• Another countdown!!! Sweet (Now if EZA can hit their $46K goal......).

Anyway: Gen 3 Pokemon is the last gen where I enjoyed the games. Starting with Diamond and Pearl, there's a lot I just didn't like about them, so I only identify with the first three sets of games. Also, I'm not a fan of the remakes because of several design choices (plus I don't have the series), so I haven't played these.

• @tokeeffe9 said in The EZA Community Top 25 Best of 2014!:

@parasitepaladin I was so close to including Luftrausers on my list. Instead went with other obscure games that probably won't make it either! :)

It was a year of niche games for me. I only expect two of mine to make it.

• I actually watched the GT Review of this recently because I had just finished Soul Silver and wanted to see what that remake was like. I was pretty surprised. Soul Silver changes a lot of stuff but in general it's the same game, whereas ORAS seems so so different from the originals.

• This year was pretty lacking for me, I didn't play too many new or big releases this year, so like many, my lists has a good amount of smaller games on it.

@tokeeffe9 I feel the pain, brother.

@Sheria I understand that completely! I wonder where my #1 will end up!

• I didn't even know there's a Pokemon game that year.

• Valiant Hearts: The Great War

#24. Valiant Hearts: The Great War - 9 points

Votes

#1: 1 (Sentinel Beach)
    #2: 0
    #3: 1 (TheOtherJohnP)
    #4: 0
    HM: 1 (Faaip)

Information

Release date: June 24 [US], June 25 [EU]
    Developer: Ubisoft Montpellier
    Publisher: Ubisoft
    Genre: Puzzle, Adventure
    Platform(s): PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Microsoft Windows, PlayStation 3, Xbox 360

Links

Trailer
    Wikipedia

• awww man I forgot about Valiant Hearts and didn't realize it came out that year, I already had to make a difficult cut on my honorable mentions but I do think it would have been on my list as an HM had I remembered.

• Global Moderator

Oh what... I also forgot about Valiant Hearts. Really liked that game and I'd just hang around in the menu for ages because the music was so good.

• You guys gotta be more thorough when reading that Wikipedia page! ;)

I loved Valiant Hearts, got it on PS Plus and didn't really know what to expect, but ended up being hooked! Very clever and emotional game, a unique art style and pretty bold choice in terms of setting and theme (obviously a lot of games about war have been made, but they're usually shooters). It almost made my list, it was pretty much #9, so I'm glad others voted for it, it deserves a spot among the best games of that year!

• Quick side-note: I've noticed that people forgetting about games happens pretty often in those threads so I was considering writing up a list of notable games in the nominations thread, as I realize the Wikipedia page is too cumbersome to browse and it's easy to miss something.

The problem is that I would inevitably end up picking which games I deem notable and that's always going to be subjective. I don't want to influence the votes, so I would try my best to include as many games as possible, but I can't include them all otherwise it'll end up being as huge as the wiki page itself. So let me know what you think about that!

• I think if a person making a Top X games of Y year list forgets a game existed it says more about the game than it does the person making the list.

• Global Moderator

Ya I wouldn't worry about it too much. I probably did see it but put others on the list before it and forgot it. In the end, there is no guarantee it'd make my list but it was a game that I really enjoyed.

Youtube Video

• @hanabi I agree that when we do 2018 GOTY, if we forget a game, it'll definitely mean it just didn't make an impression.

But when doing lists for past years, it's easy to forget that game X came out that year. I couldn't tell you my 2002 GOTY without first checking a list of what games came out in 2002. And if I miss a game while reading that list, that's it, even though I may have loved it. That's why I'm considering adding a "cheat sheet" next time we do an oldies GOTY, but we'll see :)

• Valiant Hearts made it, yes! That was actually my GOTY that year, it hit really hard. That year was kind of weird for me when it came to its games, and Valiant Hearts stayed with me after the summer like none other. Really emotional and heavy stuff. Not the most complicated game, but it doesn't have to be. It did what it wanted and did it perfectly. I shed a tear a few times during the story. Especially the collectable letters - which were authentic, by the way - got me really emotional. I think there was one Scottish one especially that I remember that got me weeping. Beautiful graphics and even more beautiful soundtrack made this a perfect package for me. I hope many others played and enjoyed it as well.

• Hey, a recent video game I've played!

I didn't care it much though, I didn't like the way it looked, and overall it felt too gamic. Too much switch throwing and brain-dead level design for me to really engage with the story it wanted to tell. Dodging artillery fire to Hungarian Dance No. 5 is charming though.

• Valiant Hearts just missed out on being one of my Honourable Mentions. There is some disconnect with some of the gameplay and the story at times but it is a beautiful, emotional and thought provoking game. It also has a lot of educational material in the game collectibles and extra bits.

• Had this sitting on my PS4 for weeks, gotta play it later.

• #24 is someone's GotY. Very nice!

I've played Valiant Hearts: The Great War when it came out, but it didn't resonate with me, so no points from me.