The EZA Community Top 25 Best of 2014!

• Sakura is great, but if we're talking best character in the first game, it has to be....

alt text

• @sabotagethetruth Nah. Homie was bad at his job. :p

• Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor

#9. Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor - 23 points

Votes

#1: 2 (A7X458, RARMSTAR)
    #2: 1 (Hazz3r)
    #3: 0
    #4: 1 (thenerdtheword)
    HM: 7 (ib0show, Sentinel Beach, Faaip, Sazime, Jipostus, Capnbobamous, Billy)

Information

Release date: September 30 [US], October 3 [EU]
    Developer: Monolith Productions
    Publisher: Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment
    Genre: Action-adventure
    Platform(s): PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Microsoft Windows, PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, OS X

Links

Trailer
    Wikipedia
    GT Review

• I waited to play SoM, and really liked it. Kinda bums me out that the description of the MTs in the sequel kept me from checking it out sooner. But, maybe this summer sale...

• If they made the same game twice, I would have bought Shadow of War but they didn't.

• I liked Shadow of Mordor, even platinumed it. The Nemesis system was something really cool and new, it gave me a lot of neat small moments when the same orc returned time after time challenging me. "You don't propably recognize me" etc., that one guy said when he appeared in front of me the fourth time, that time so beaten that he now actually had a Scarecrow type bag on his head. Then I finally decapitated him and that was the end of that story.

• For as much criticism as I’ve heard levied at Shadow of Mordor, there’s something intrinsically joyful about stalking orcs across that landscape. The nemesis system added more meaning to what could be repetitious encounters. Like many, the microtransactions in Shadow of War turned me away when there were so many other games to play in 2017.

• Danganronpa: I'd had my eye on this game for some time, so was an easy day one buy when it released here on Vita. I've been in love with the series since, even the anime was really enjoyable.

Shadow of Mordor: I'm not actually a fan of Lord of the Rings but I still grabbed this at release as it looked kind of interesting, I got burned out very fast on it though. With so many better examples out there though, I will say that I'm very surprised that they chose the combat system they did, it's even showed up in and bringing down Mad Max, which I'm playing at the moment. I might get back to complete it one day, but it's way down on the priority list.

• If I remember correctly, Shadow of Mordor and Dragon Age: Inquisition were the two games that accrued the most GOTYs that year. I think the Nemesis system is a really neat idea, but I gave the Lord of the Rings franchise one attempt through the books and decided it wasn't for me once I finished. I don't know what exactly makes me averse to the property, but I respect Shadow of Mordor bringing something unique to gaming.

• Despite the fact that I know there are some fans of Yoko Toro here, I've lost faith in a certain game showing up now =(

• @sheria Was there a Yoko Taro game in 2014?

• @musou-tensei Drakengard 3 was released in NA in 2014. I assume that's what is being referenced. Never played it though.

• @musou-tensei Drakengard 3. Not likely making it on this list. Not received well by the general public.

EDIT: And @TokyoSlim beat me to it!

• Ah, well it was never released physically in europe so i never bothered with it, plus I never played the prequels.

• It was such an amazing game, but yeah, we wont see it on here now.

• Global Moderator

I just really don't get the love for Shadow of Mordor. I remember at the time, when I hadn't played it that it sounded kinda cool. Everyone sharing their stories of their nemesis but then I played the game and all I saw were a few differences and I could never really be invested in these enemies.

Even though I found it really boring I at least like the idea of your character being insanely powerful since he is but ya.. this game was not for me.

• Shadow of Mordor was like, my baseline for "a seven". It was ok. Got repetitive, was never really invested in the story. Nemesis is an interesting gimmick, but I didn't really keep going back to the game because of it.

• Shadow of Mordor came out of nowhere for me. I hadn't followed development at all and suddenly a new Lord of the Rings game was coming out in a few weeks. I bought it on release and had a great time. I just loved how the mechanics would gradually build on one another, eventually meaning that you were manipulating the structure of the Mordor Army to serve your own purposes.

The character design was also very good, I especially liked how the broken sword was used throughout the game. Used in its broken form for Stealth and then repaired with the Soul Power stuff in combat. There was some strong side content involving yourweapons, which involved building "the legend" of your weapons in order to unlock various upgrades and damage boosts.

The games lack of difficulty is a fair criticism, but not one I have. I have no problem grinding side content and open world encounters to become OP.

Had some wonderful Nemesis system moments, including one guy who kept coming back from the dead over and over, each time with more bits of metal to cover his face. I finally killed him with a swift beheading, ain't no one coming back from that.

I very much doubt my Number 1 is gonna be above this :) If it is I'll eat my own hat.

• Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair

#8. Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair - 24 points

Votes

#1: 3 (TokyoSlim, SabotageTheTruth, Capnbobamous)
    #2: 1 (parasitepaladin)
    #3: 0
    #4: 1 (logic__error)
    HM: 3 (ffff0, SunPraiser, bard91)

Information

Release date: September 2 [US], September 5 [EU]
    Developer: Spike Chunsoft
    Publisher: NIS America
    Genre: Adventure, Visual novel
    Platform(s): PlayStation 4, Microsoft Windows, PlayStation Vita, OS X

Links

Trailer
    Wikipedia

• Even though, I think I like the characters in D1 more, I think D2 is a better game.