The EZA Community Top 25 Best of 2014!

• @dipset I feel the same way. I LOVED the first game, and i while i enjoyed DS2, it's doesn't stand a chance against it's predecessor. The world design feels way less interesting for me, both in how it looks and how it plays out. It just feels more like a bunch of videogame levels than an actual messed-up world like in DS1, and it's doesn't feel as rewarding to explore. The bosses are boring and way too easy. I beat the early 4 bosses in 1 or 2 tries, and i can't say i'm good at the game. I stopped playing shortly after meeting the Ruin Sentinels, that boss just felt way too cheap and stupid for me. The regular enemies aren't that interesting too.

I lost all interest in playing the Dark Souls games after this, mainly because this game made me lost interest in the world of Dark Souls. Dark Souls III looks like a better game from what i have seen, but i don't really want to play it. I already played Dark Souls 1 and loved it anyway, so i don't feel the need to play more.

• Dark Souls 2 is better than Bloodborne.

Yeah I said it.

• Where's the down vote button

• Completely forgot that Dark Souls 2 originally released in 2014, Probably would have gotten my 3 or 4 spot.

While Dark Souls 2 does fail in regards to the more important aspects of a Souls Game like Enemy, Boss (seriously, how many guys in armour do you need?), and World Design, there are some things that Dark Souls 2 does better than its predecessor.

Covenants were much improved over the predecessor. With a stronger focus on them and improved networking meant that it was a more reliable experience overall. Something that is only now being addressed in the Dark Souls 1 Remaster.

Magic. They got Magic 'right' in Dark Souls 2. It was still powerful enough to justify the disadvantage of not being all that good with martial weapons, but Dark Souls 2 was the end of over-powered Magic builds.

Powerstance. By far my favourite addition to the game. Powerstance improved the moveset of dual-wielding by allowing you to switch to a different stance by holding the Triangle Button. This allowed you to access a different set of moves on the fly depending on your build and the type of weapons that you're holding. They came with their own problems of course, Powerstance Rapiers on a High Dex build was very powerful, but it was a breath of fresh air and brought some much needed variety to the PvP scene.

DLC. The DLC in Dark Souls 2 is INCREDIBLE. They really take advantage of the modular nature to take you to some unique and strange locales. Walking up that chain in Crown of the Old Iron King is one of my favourite points in the entire series.

• Didn't people go through any game list from '14 before voting? I've seen way too many posts in this thread saying "man, I totally forgot this and that". These kind of things require a thorough examination before handing out one's votes. This is important, dammit! slams table

• @sentinel-beach Went through the list on Wikipedia, but that things a big wall of text. Bound to miss some stuff.

• I can't decide if i think it's a boring game, or if my love for dark souls 1, dark souls 3 and bloodborne is tainting this game for me. Either way, I don't like it very much, which is why it didn't make my list.

• I love Dark Souls 2. It should have been on my list to be honest.

• Global Moderator

Haha... these things shouldn't bother me but seeing what's been getting ahead of Alien Isolation is upsetting.

• At the risk of losing the little credibility I have here, Dark Souls 2 is my favorite game of all time.

• I see the Dark Souls II hate is still strong..

I enjoyed it quite a bit. I do think its the weakest in the series but I also appreciate some of the changes it made to the formula and some of the risks it took. My gripes mostly lie with the lazy feeling world design (BB and DS3 struck a nice balance between DS1 open world and Demon's world choices) and uneven difficulty. The areas felt "artificially" difficult by placing tons of enemies in your path while the bosses felt pretty easy overall..

I enjoyed the addition of dual wielding and thought it added some interesting choices for character building. I also thought some of the set pieces were cool and loved the section where you go back in time or whatever to the battles in the locations you had just explored. I also thought the DLC areas were great and had some of the best bosses in the game. 2014 was a pretty weak year for me (even though I haven't played most of the games listed here) so DSII still ranks as my favorite of the year.

Also a quick note on Shadow of Mordor. I thought it was ok.. I didn't care much about the story but had fun running around and killing orcs. I ended up playing through the DLCs that were included and finding all the stuff on the map. I'll probably pick up Shadow of War eventually

• @bam541

Dude I agree with you AND some. People criticize the level design of DkS 2 which is true, but this game is mediocre across almost all fronts. It's just plain UGLY. The graphics were somehow worse than the original game. The lighting is an atrocity where dark areas look noisy and grey, and somehow, entirely visible. I'd say only one level has atmosphere. One MAYBE two bosses are creative.

Upon my replay of DkS2 last year, my roommate opted to go full magic and he actually beat the entire game just spamming magic spells. Rarely swung his sword and I mean RARELY. This game is flawed across the board.

It is the definition of a pleasantly mediocre game depending on your patience levels and how much you can tolerate very ugly aesthetics. Some people do not mind the art style so they probably enjoy it more, but I feel offended even looking at some levels.

• @sentinel-beach

Didn't people go through any game list from '14 before voting? I've seen way too many posts in this thread saying "man, I totally forgot this and that". These kind of things require a thorough examination before handing out one's votes. This is important, dammit! slams table

I think there could be a way to address this problem for the next nominee thread. Perhaps instead of saying "do not post your list on the forum before the reveal is over", this rule could be relaxed slightly so that people could actually mention the names of some game titles without mentioning their intended votes. For example, what if people were allowed to post comments like "Here are some good nominees from that year that I'm considering ......"? This would accomplish the purpose of jogging everyone's memories (and encourage more discussion). I really like idea of having someone post "One nominee I haven't heard mentioned yet is ____", which you can easily imagine happening.

There would still be a rule though about not revealing your what you plan to vote. The rule could be written in any number of ways, but for example the rule might be that you aren't allowed to give a ranking to the games you mention, and that you are only listing them as considerations, not your final picks. Perhaps it should also be stated that if a game has been "mentioned as a good nominee" multiple times, then others must refrain from (redundantly) mentioning it in their posts. This would help keep secret which nominees have wide popularity.

Just some thoughts for @Axel to consider.

• @sentinel-beach I tried to get look at that wall of text. I TRIED MAN

• Danganronpa 2 had Gundham Tanaka in it. Gundham Tanaka may be one of the best characters ever thrown into a game so.... that's kinda a huge win.

Plus, Nagito is insanely well written.

I've never had such a compelling last 4 to 5 hours of a game pretty much ever. So damn good.

Welp, my top 4 made it onto the list, I'm happy.

• @sentinel-beach This why I said we should go beyond 2015, people are going to forget/miss games.

• @chocobop Yeah we could either do this or what I suggested before, I could add an exhaustive list in the original post that would be more readable than the wikipedia page, and make sure I include all the "big" games of that year in there. That way, nobody has to hint at what they're voting, and it'll limit the amount of people who change their vote because they just saw someone else post about a game they'd forgotten. I'll try that for the next voting round!

• Global Moderator

@axel I was thinking beforehand of doing a thing where you'd try to appeal to people. Think of it like the GotY awards when everyone is discussing why that's their number one on stream.

So if you felt very strongly about a game, you could mention it and why and that might be best to remind some people on things they missed.

• @tokeeffe9 Sure, we can try this next time! I'm a bit worried it would spoil the end results though, if a lot of people recommend their own GOTY to the others. Let's just try and see how it goes!