The EZA Community Top 25 Best of 2014!

• I was hyped for Dragon Age: Inquisition despite never playing the previous games. I just got my PS4 at the time and a couple friends recommended it to me. I dove deep into the lore, reading up on the plot of the previous games and using the Dragon Age Keep to create my own save game to import into the game (very cool feature by the way, that was an awesome way to catch me up).

And yet, I couldn't get into it. I must have played 5-6 hours, I was in the first big open area, and totally lost focus and motivation to continue, moved on to other games and never looked back. I enjoyed what I played, at least the roleplaying parts, but the combat didn't click with me, and the grind was too overwhelming.

But the main issue I remember having is that my inventory would always be full, forcing me to sell or drop items every 5 minutes. And I could not figure out what was actually sellable junk and what was something I might need later, like crafting ingredients and whatnot. This made me way more anxious than it should have and I always spent ages deciding what was safe to sell and what I should keep just in case, leading me to spend more time in my inventory than doing anything else. It might sound absurd but that's the main reason I stopped playing.

I'm sure I could get back to it one day with a fresh mind and enjoy it, but realistically, this ship has sailed.

• @brannox I love it when you guys start making predictions for the top games and get it more or less wrong (or right (or wrong))!

• I really enjoyed DA Origins, and 2 to a slightly lesser degree. I hated Inquisition though.

• I'll always be indebted to Dragon Age: Inquisition for being my 'chill-out' game while writing my Masters dissertation on the 'Responsibility to Protect' & international intervention last summer.

• DA:I is a great game but it is already starting to age poorly despite only being a few years old 0_0
    Open world game design has taken a couple of significant leaps in recent years which is making the rougher edges, padding and just plain old jank of DA:I become really apparent.

I'm super interested to see where Bioware take the franchise next after Andromeda, which uses a lot of same area and mission structures as DA:I, blew up in their faces.

• Oh, I’ve forgot to mention how impressed I was by the level design of the desert (Hissing Wastes). It’s huge and open and for the most part nothing is there. But sand hills have just enough height to create many hidden pockets that you can easily miss if you look the wrong way. All of this creates a feeling that you can be lost in this space even if you know where to go. I don’t know another game that has a desert level that not just looks, but feels like a real desert.

Side note: After buying this game and seeing how bad it looks on my PC I went to the shop and bought GTX 970. I’m still using it and see no reason to upgrade.

• I bought this game for like 30$, and i still regret buying it. As a huge fan of Dragon Age Origins, i'm mostly disappointed in this game. The battles are flashy, but that's all there is to it. Most encounters i had were too easy, very little input required. The open world is pointless, it's just an excuse to prolong gameplay and force more content in IMO. The MMO-like quests is easily the worst thing about this game.

I do think that story-wise it's quite interesting, and the characters are well-written and entertaining enough that i kept playing until the 15 hour mark where i just couldn't stand the boredom of it's open world anymore.

Also, i think it's kinda funny that ME: Andromeda's take on the open-world RPG structure is actually better than in this game. Maybe it's because having a pretty fast vehicle to explore the world.

• Origins was such a good game. Lol

• @axel You know me, I'm ALWAYS wrong! (Thumbs up) X-D

• I did enjoy Inquisition much in the way I enjoyed Andromeda. However, it was far from the incredibly high bar set by Bioware’s previous games. Overall, I’m de-hyped on the franchise and on Bioware in general. There just seems to be a lot of missed opportunities here. Maybe the branching possibilities of past entries combined with too big a world overwhelmed the team? Also, Varric wasn’t nearly the show-stealer he was in DA2, and I was disappointed with the implementation of the majority of past game decisions being relegated to war room map shenanigans. I was impressed by several of the zones at the time, and the gameplay seemed a step-up from other entries. However, the more vital aspects that had me replaying the first two games several times just weren’t there in Inquisition. I usually try to stay pretty positive, but I have doubts that they’ll ever recapture the magic I once felt. It was a fun, but ultimately forgettable, jaunt.

@Axel There’s instances where limits make sense in games. But that constant annoyance and micromanagement? I just don’t get why it exists in some games. Unless they’re greedy and sell ya inventory space for real world currency. That really sucks, man. :/

• Bayonetta 2

#5. Bayonetta 2 - 25 points

Votes

#1: 2 (SunPraiser, Musou Tensei)
    #2: 1 (ib0show)
    #3: 1 (PepeElToro805)
    #4: 2 (Hanabi, NeoCweeny)
    HM: 4 (Axel, Sazime, FerrisK96, Crepe)

Information

Release date: October 24 [US/EU]
    Developer: PlatinumGames
    Publisher: Nintendo
    Genre: Action, Hack 'n' slash
    Platform(s): Wii U, Nintendo Switch

Links

Trailer
    Wikipedia
    GT Review

• I've gotta say I was disappointed with Bayonetta 2, I found it to be not as good as the first one, it honestly should have been on my list based on pure quality, but there were other games I think were more interesting even if not as good.

• Oh hey finally something off my list.

Bayo 2's good stuff. This was Wii U's year, even if my top 2 weren't exclusives I think the majority of the rest of my games were. I'm hoping at least one or two of them show up. I know Akiba's Trip is a no-hoper.

• Bayo 2 is 2014 true GOTY

• Hey! I got one prediction right! Nice! 2014 was by far and away the year that seemingly held practically nothing for me of interest (Though there are six games I did play that came out that year, I promise.). As for Bayonetta specifically, much in the same vein of Devil May Cry, those kinds of games don't appeal to me primarily from the gameplay aspect. I don't necessarily have anything against Bayonetta's look and tone, but at least we're finally getting into the real heavy hitters.

• Never played it but I really really really want to.

• Heard may good things about Bayonetta series from Allies. Since I'm a sad owner of Switch, I've decided to give it a try. I've played first game and didn't like it: story was a drag (too many ending) and combat felt unbalanced (too hard on normal, to mindless on easy). The only good thing I can say about Bayonetta is that it's $6 on Steam, which is a reasonable amount to cross a series from your "to play" list without any doubts.

P.S. Remember, this is just my personal opinion.

• I think my HMs being the only ones making it to this list so far says something about my weird, disparate likes. Which is totally cool. Unless 2 of my top 4 somehow end up in the final top 4...

• The top 4 will be: Akiba's Trip, Tales of Xillia 2, Hatsune Miku: Project Diva F 2nd, and then at number 1, Five Nights at Freddy's.

• I'm certain my GotY 2014 Bayonetta 2 would have ranked higher if it wasn't an Wii U exclusive, but the exclusivity was the only way to get a Bayo 2 at all so I won't complain, where Bayo goes I go too... well except cellphones, that would just be shit.
    That's probably it for my votes, esle I would be very surprised.